Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,831

1 members and 2,830 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,018 Times in 1,743 Posts
    Facebook groups are wild, particularly ball python groups. People are frankly kind of crazy there, and think everyone is wrong except for them LOL. Just stay here on this forum.

Do whatever works for you to maintain proper husbandry that the snakes need As long as their needs are met so that they are kept healthy, it works.
    Last edited by redshepherd; 10-05-2018 at 08:39 AM.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to redshepherd For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (10-05-2018),MissterDog (10-05-2018)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    People tend to overlook the forest for the trees, and that happens here too. The forest is the conditions the snake needs, which can be provided in lots of different ways. The trees are all the specifics of how you get there.

And they also tend to get so hung up on the specific equipment that they don't really think about or explain how all the stuff actually works - as in, how heat works and how humidity works, what insulation does, etc.

What I find particularly frustrating is when people say, "You need this specific item at this specific size/wattage" without even asking about the conditions of the room the cage is in. There's a huge range in common temperature and humidity in people's houses, and there is equipment available to appropriately heat and humidify a cage at any of them. But you definitely can't take a setup that works in a room that's 75° and 50% humidity and expect it to still give you the same results in a room that's 62° and 35% humidity.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Coluber42 For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (10-05-2018),redshepherd (10-05-2018),Reinz (10-05-2018),the_rotten1 (10-05-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,694 Times in 1,076 Posts

Re: The Big Debate CHE vs Infrared Nocturnal Bulb vs Racks vs Tanks

Quote Originally Posted by Reinz View Post
    For me, there is no debate. Just use what works for YOU. It’s good to have an open mind and be willing to try other things if needed.

I find FB groups rather disappointing and just stay away myself.
    ^^^this^^^^
    i have Che for my ball pythons and a red bulb for my pueblan. I like the Che because they last longer. Mine has gone three years so far.

I say say you do you as long as the animal has proper temps and happy.
    ~Sunny~
    Booplesnoop
    Coilsome, Odyn, & Eeden AKA theLittleOne

0:1 Pastel Het Red Day Chocolate
    1:0 Normal
    0:0:1 Pueblan milk snake

*~* Nothing sticky (tape, stick on gauges, Velcro) goes into your enclosure! Again...NOTHING sticky goes into your enclosure....EVER! *~*

Thanks
    This makes so so happy you all here arent as judgmental on here... hahah I just felt like in the fb groups that I should just leave.... but ill just stay in them and say nothing... lol i love to see all the different morphs ect... and its always nice to help people find the right substrate ect.. i usually end up just messaging people privately because i have no intention on getting bashed.
    Last edited by rockmissjess; 10-05-2018 at 04:43 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,106 Times in 1,195 Posts

It’s not the heat source that’s important, it’s the thermostat! A dimmer thermostat is ideal, much better than on off/on thermostat, imo ALWAYS use a thermostat that uses dimmer technology, which is standard operating mode on herpstat and other quality thermostats.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla78 View Post
    It’s not the heat source that’s important, it’s the thermostat! A dimmer thermostat is ideal, much better than on off/on thermostat, imo ALWAYS use a thermostat that uses dimmer technology, which is standard operating mode on herpstat and other quality thermostats.
    I have a digital humidity/thermostat in every tank and a digital infared poin and shoot reader thing and dimmer on all my heat lamps... ive never had anyone mention to me things about that just the type of lamp i use.. and that i keep them in tanks (even tho the sides are blacked out covered)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,606 Times in 907 Posts

I’m a huge fan of the plastic/pvc cages with radiant heat panels because I’ve found that setup to be easy to heat, maintain humidity, and clean. While it is a pricier setup, it’s what I will typically recommend due to ease of use. That said, it is by no means the only answer. I started with tanks, like most of us that have kept reptiles for many years. I’ve built homemade cages from melamine and used plastic tubs, though not in racks. I’ve used basking lights (day & night), CHE’s and UTH’s. Each setup worked well in its own way for my needs at the time. Some setups just take a little more work to get the husbandry on point depending on the conditions in your home. Ultimately it is about a shared love for these amazing animals and providing them the best life we can afford.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12