Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,358

3 members and 3,355 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Is this normal behavior?

I was wondering if I should be concerned.... my red tail boa (likes?) to sit like this neck extended and resting on the side of the tub. Most of the time she lays normal or hangs out on her branches. I’ve been told boas like to rest in odd positions sometimes. She snaps out of it on her own or if I nudge her or even move in front of her. She’ll also flick her tongue when she does this. When I am handling her otherwise she moves around COMPLETELY normal and has an appetite and what not. Is this truly just a position boas enjoy or should I be concerned? Thanks!!

Last edited by timeakinga; 10-04-2018 at 12:00 AM.
    Mommy of 14
    Catch the fam on insta: @noooodlefam

Thanks
    Thanked 19,826 Times in 11,845 Posts
    How long have you had her? What are the temperatures (warm side, cool side) in the tub?

Just looking at that photo, I have the impression she is sniffing the fresh air exchange from the vent-holes, & that IS something a snake would normally do.

But I'll add that most of these plastic tubs also have chemical odors (& possibly unhealthy) as they are not designed for living creatures but only intended for
    storage...please keep that in mind- no matter how many people find these convenient & inexpensive caging for snakes. (I do not use anything other than
    glass tanks.) Snakes have a better sense of smell that we do, & I personally don't like how storage tubs smell so I can imagine that it's even more noticeable
    to a snake kept inside...anyway, I think that's what she is doing.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Sonny1318 (10-04-2018),timeakinga (10-04-2018)

Thanks

Re: Is this normal behavior?

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    How long have you had her? What are the temperatures (warm side, cool side) in the tub?

Just looking at that photo, I have the impression she is sniffing the fresh air exchange from the vent-holes, & that IS something a snake would normally do.

But I'll add that most of these plastic tubs also have chemical odors (& possibly unhealthy) as they are not designed for living creatures but only intended for
    storage...please keep that in mind- no matter how many people find these convenient & inexpensive caging for snakes. (I do not use anything other than
    glass tanks.) Snakes have a better sense of smell that we do, & I personally don't like how storage tubs smell so I can imagine that it's even more noticeable
    to a snake kept inside...anyway, I think that's what she is doing.

Thanks for the thoughts! You know that’s something I never even thought about with the smell... that’s a valid point. I’m wondering if maybe I’ll add more holes for more ventilation like I have with some of my other tubs and then just mist more. I have had her for roughly two and a half weeks so she’s a newer addition. Humidity is at 80 wish a basking spot set at 97 and the other side is at 82. I’ve read multiple different suggestions for temps and went with what I thought she looked happiest at. Same thing I had to do with my BRB took quite a few adjustments. But Bermuda (this boa) felt pretty dang cold when my temps were under 80. What is your opinion for ideal temps? Always willing to change things since happy snakes are my goals!!
    Mommy of 14

Thanks

Here’s another image just a little later today. Her head is always rested on something never just straight up in the air.

https://ball-pythons.net/gallery/sho...hp?i=58201&c=3
    Mommy of 14

6. The Following User Says Thank You to timeakinga For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (10-04-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by timeakinga View Post
    Thanks for the thoughts! You know that’s something I never even thought about with the smell... that’s a valid point. I’m wondering if maybe I’ll add more holes for more ventilation like I have with some of my other tubs and then just mist more. I have had her for roughly two and a half weeks so she’s a newer addition. Humidity is at 80 wish a basking spot set at 97 and the other side is at 82. I’ve read multiple different suggestions for temps and went with what I thought she looked happiest at. Same thing I had to do with my BRB took quite a few adjustments. But Bermuda (this boa) felt pretty dang cold when my temps were under 80. What is your opinion for ideal temps? Always willing to change things since happy snakes are my goals!!
    For a boa, I think your cage is too hot, also humidity is too high. Cool side about 77* is fine, warm side about 86*, basking not over 88-90*. Humidity about 60%.
    More vent holes should help. As far as this boa feeling cold, remember that most all snakes feel cold to us because we're 98.6*...& also when we handle some snakes
    that need lower temperatures (such as corn snakes) the reason they don't want to sit still is because we're making them too warm & uncomfortable. Sometimes you
    need to watch where your snake spends time to see what they like: the BCI I had for many years often liked the cool side (75-78*) but used the basking area & the
    UTH-heated hide too...and she remained healthy.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

dakski (10-04-2018),timeakinga (10-04-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by timeakinga View Post
    Here’s another image just a little later today. Her head is always rested on something never just straight up in the air.

https://ball-pythons.net/gallery/sho...hp?i=58201&c=3
    Too warm, too humid, & maybe stinky-plastic too...translation "gimme fresh air".

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

dakski (10-04-2018)

BPnet Senior Member richardhind1972's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,173 Times in 3,204 Posts

My boas do it when there's food defosting in the room and they can obviously smell it or if they hungry

Sent from my TA-1024 using Tapatalk

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to richardhind1972 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (10-04-2018),timeakinga (10-04-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    For a boa, I think your cage is too hot, also humidity is too high. Cool side about 77* is fine, warm side about 86*, basking not over 88-90*. Humidity about 60%.
    More vent holes should help. As far as this boa feeling cold, remember that most all snakes feel cold to us because we're 98.6*...& also when we handle some snakes
    that need lower temperatures (such as corn snakes) the reason they don't want to sit still is because we're making them too warm & uncomfortable. Sometimes you
    need to watch where your snake spends time to see what they like: the BCI I had for many years often liked the cool side (75-78*) but used the basking area & the
    UTH-heated hide too...and she remained healthy.
    *Facepalm* welllllll the poor baby I’m glad I asked I’ll have to check on my BRBs temps too then. Lowered the temps let some cooler air in and altered the basking temp. Wiped off some of the inside to lower humidity for the meantime and now to make more holes at 1:00 am cause like I said happy snakes are the goals!! Yea the tub is only going to be temporary for her she’s going to be moving up in enclosure size anyways in a few weeks! Thank you for the guidance!!! I’m sure Bermuda thanks you the most haha.
    Mommy of 14

14. The Following User Says Thank You to timeakinga For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (10-04-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by richardhind1972 View Post
    My boas do it when there's food defosting in the room and they can obviously smell it or if they hungry

Sent from my TA-1024 using Tapatalk
    That could also definitely be a factor since I now have 5 mouths to feed so i very frequently have some sort of food out since we all decided to be on uncooperative feeding schedules lolllll
    Mommy of 14

16. The Following User Says Thank You to timeakinga For This Useful Post:

richardhind1972 (10-04-2018)

BPnet Senior Member richardhind1972's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,173 Times in 3,204 Posts

This was my little Harley last night while the bigger boas was having there food, his food is tonight , they often do the same when the little ones are only weekly feed compared to there 3week schedule

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

18. The Following User Says Thank You to richardhind1972 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (10-04-2018)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast