Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,905

2 members and 2,903 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 6 of 22 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

Re: Yafe - Albino Carpet Progression Thread

All I can do now is administer the medication as prescribed, keep him at proper temps and humidity, and hope for the best.

I will continue to keep everyone in the loop.

Regarding the breeder. I knew the company was based in Europe, but I was also under the impression that the US Division essentially was a separate entity. I had no idea if there was a problem I would have to deal with Europe and they would override the guy I had been dealing with and had a good experience with so far.

Obviously I am not pleased about his condition and don't know how well he was before he left. I agree that he definitely needed a vet visit in the state he was in. Bumping temps was not going to solve this.

Depending on how this is resolved, I will speak about the breeder and the experience. I am not one to bad mouth people, certainly until all the facts are in, but I do not want someone else having the same problem either. I am a little torn here. There was a delay with fedex, etc. However, I spent 7 hours back and forth with FedEx to make sure he got here the day he was supposed to (12 hours late, but better than 24). I usually deal with small breeders. However, the reputation of the breeder was solid, I did not understand the intricacies of the business model, and the animals are stunning. I also had a good experience picking the animal and discussing the animal with the US person. He seemed to know the animals very well and was very responsive. I had also been looking at a much more expensive animal with more genetic traits, but was told if it was just a pet, to consider a few others that I might find equally appealing, but weren't genetic powerhouses. Because of all this, I felt okay buying from them.

Regarding the heat pack. I understand that too hot is worse than cold. I've preached it many times here. Fine line between a little hot and neurological issues and death. Cold, there is more leeway, even if it's not ideal for digestion. However, max temps were 75F in both locations, lows were upper 40's to low 50's, and who knows what the temps not the plane were. Further, I assumed he was being sent with a heat pack and was told after the fact, after the delay, that he had not been. I would have liked to have been involved in that conversation. I've had many reptiles sent to me, here in CT, in this type of climate, and they always came with a heat pack. Not saying that's right or wrong, but I was very surprised to learn there was not one. Further, the breeder in Europe agreed with me that he should have been sent with one.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (10-07-2018),richardhind1972 (10-08-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,341 Times in 3,220 Posts
    Well the heat pack issue should have definitely been discussed with you. Bad on his part to not talk to you and let you help in the decision since it is YOUR snake now that you paid for it.

And if the breeder is who i am thinking of as i think you mentioned it a while ago, I too was not aware they were EU based. I have heard good things though if it is the same people i am thinking of. Although now with your issue and lack of communication on the US part with shipping, I would think twice but then again, if i was looking for a carpet, I would go with Inland Reptiles as he lives fairly close to me and has a stellar reputation with carpets. There is also Ed Lily for carpets too who is/used to live by me. His animals look good even though i am not a fan of his cages

Anyways, your snake should be fine and even if you dont get any form of compensation, if the snake heals up fast and with no complications, then you can at least just write this whole dilemma off as a learning experience.

Good luck with Yafe.
    0.1 Rio Bravo Pokigron Suriname BC-Gina
    1.0 Meltzer/Lincoln Peruvian Longtail het anery BCL-Louie

0.1 Biak Green Tree Python-Pat
    ​1.0 OSHY Biak Green Tree Python-Alex
    0.0.1 Super Reduced Reticulated Gila Monster-Dozer
    0.0.1 Utah Banded Gila Monster-Tank
    0.0.1 Super Black Beaded Lizard-Reggie

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Sauzo For This Useful Post:

dakski (10-07-2018)

Thanks
    Poor Little Yafe... He has had a heck of an introduction to the Dakski/SunshineWalker house.

I am new to snakes, and reptiles in general. I have to say though, I am very familiar with Human symptomology with breathing and respiratory issues. It was scary to me that Yafe progressed so quickly, from a chill little guy to struggling to breath and wheezing on every breath! It was also strange to have talked to the US rep on the phone who was super supportive, but then get this e-mail from the EU that was so harsh (but then culturally these are known to be a very direct people... so maybe that is part of it?)

All that being said, we figured about 1 am the night of the vet that we prob could have waited til the am appt. However, with how fast and seemingly severe the distress was, we did not want to have any regrets. We were also under the impression that the reptile/exotics person was on site that evening, as that was what we were told when we called prior to coming in. Oh well, live and learn I suppose on that end.

Dakski is a great snake Dad, and he's an absolute wreck over the whole situation. I wish there were more I could do, but I guess actually injecting a snake is up there on the "things you do for love." I have to admit, I was a wreck to do it for him. At first attempt, the needle popped out. On second attempt I got it, pushed the fluid in, pulled out the needle and began to sob.

I hope our little man gets better soon! I really liked how he felt coming out of the box hanging on to my arm - I am the tree!

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SunshineWalker For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (10-08-2018),EL-Ziggy (10-08-2018),richardhind1972 (10-08-2018),zina10 (10-08-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,739 Times in 11,797 Posts
    This whole mess has been very stressful for you both, besides poor Yafe. And yes, "hindsight is 20:20"...you had to make a snap decision about going to the
    vet, no one can fault you for that...hard to sit by & watch a beautiful creature struggling to breathe. I just hope he recovers soon & fully...
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 10-08-2018 at 12:49 AM.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

dakski (10-08-2018),richardhind1972 (10-08-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SunshineWalker View Post
    Poor Little Yafe... He has had a heck of an introduction to the Dakski/SunshineWalker house.

I am new to snakes, and reptiles in general. I have to say though, I am very familiar with Human symptomology with breathing and respiratory issues. It was scary to me that Yafe progressed so quickly, from a chill little guy to struggling to breath and wheezing on every breath! It was also strange to have talked to the US rep on the phone who was super supportive, but then get this e-mail from the EU that was so harsh (but then culturally these are known to be a very direct people... so maybe that is part of it?)

All that being said, we figured about 1 am the night of the vet that we prob could have waited til the am appt. However, with how fast and seemingly severe the distress was, we did not want to have any regrets. We were also under the impression that the reptile/exotics person was on site that evening, as that was what we were told when we called prior to coming in. Oh well, live and learn I suppose on that end.

Dakski is a great snake Dad, and he's an absolute wreck over the whole situation. I wish there were more I could do, but I guess actually injecting a snake is up there on the "things you do for love." I have to admit, I was a wreck to do it for him. At first attempt, the needle popped out. On second attempt I got it, pushed the fluid in, pulled out the needle and began to sob.

I hope our little man gets better soon! I really liked how he felt coming out of the box hanging on to my arm - I am the tree!
    I did not mention the sobbing when I said both Yafe and Katie did a great job. I think SunshineWalker and I are both, "rise to the occasion, but fall apart after people." I had been so focused on taking care of Yafe and making sure he didn't regress more. My job last week, was essentially his welfare. Now that it's just a waiting game, I am a total anxious mess. He was in his warm hide yesterday (which I bumped from 89-90F to 90-91F) and I couldn't see him. Boy was my mind racing with scenarios when I go to take him out tonight for his 2nd injection. I know I shouldn't expect much, or anything, at this point, but I am praying he shows us something good. Either way, tonight is injection 2/10.

Thank you all for continuing to write, stay tuned, and think of all of us in this mess.

P.S. SunswhineWalker, you are the tree! Just ask Ezzy!

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (10-08-2018),EL-Ziggy (10-08-2018),Phillydubs (10-08-2018),richardhind1972 (10-08-2018),zina10 (10-08-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dakski View Post
    Either way, tonight is injection 2/10.
    We have to do this 9 more times!!!

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SunshineWalker For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (10-08-2018),richardhind1972 (10-08-2018),zina10 (10-08-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,484 Times in 2,683 Posts

Hang in there guys. You're going to get through this! We're all rooting for you!
    3.0 Carpet Pythons, 1.1 Bullsnakes
    1.0 Olive Python 1.0 Scrub Python,
    1.0 BI, 0.1 BCO

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to EL-Ziggy For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (10-08-2018),dakski (10-08-2018)

Thanks

Another quick, but substantial update:

I spoke to the breeder again today. He is reimbursing me for diagnosis and medication, as I had asked as a compromise, and wants me to keep him in the loop if meds change, etc.

I have to say, I feel very differently about this situation, and this breeder, now, then I did before.

Given how quickly Yafe deteriorated, I am open to the idea that the shipping delay largely caused this, and/or made him increasingly more susceptible. Not much difference. He appeared fine when he arrived. 24 hours later, not so much, but that does leave room open for the idea that he was not sick when he left.

I was not in a good place when I got the first response from the breeder and I had sent a accusatory email. I was angry. What did I expect back?

Working through this with the breeder the past few days has showed me that a) they care about their animals and want what's best and b) customer service is important to them.

This whole thing was probably a fluke and I happened to be the one to get a sick snake in the end. I was talking to Phillydubs and said I am kind of glad I was the one to get him. How many less experienced keepers would not have know what was going on or been able to handle injections, quarantine, etc. If everything works out here, maybe it was meant to be. He needed me and SunshineWalker.

I am hoping all works out with Yafe (obvisouly) and that we can all move past this.

At this point, I have little negative to say about the breeder. Yafe was as advertised, aside from sick, and they did work with me here and are open to further issues. Either way, I am glad clearer heads prevailed.

I'll update on Yafe this evening after we give him his second injection. As stated, he is being completely left alone for now, and as much I would love to check on him, that's not an option. He has been curled up in his warm hide the past day or so and I am glad. The nice temps in there should help his immune system and the meds kick in quickly.

More later.

16. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

Alicia (10-08-2018),Bogertophis (10-08-2018),Phillydubs (10-08-2018),Reinz (10-08-2018),richardhind1972 (10-08-2018),Starscream (10-08-2018),zina10 (10-08-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,739 Times in 11,797 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dakski View Post
    ... I was talking to Phillydubs and said I am kind of glad I was the one to get him. How many less experienced keepers would not have know what was going on or been able to handle injections, quarantine, etc. If everything works out here, maybe it was meant to be. He needed me and SunshineWalker....
    For what it's worth, that's EXACTLY what I've been thinking...he couldn't have gone to more caring, attentive & experienced owners that would fight for him the
    way you both have. His lucky day!
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 10-08-2018 at 11:31 AM.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

dakski (10-08-2018),Reinz (10-08-2018)

Thanks

I have a very positive report.

The preliminary culture on Yafe's lungs shows Gram-Negative rods, a type of bacteria that can be consistent with this type of symptoms and an RI. We will know more tomorrow or Wednesday (today is Monday) and know if he should stay on this antibiotic, or switch to another one. Either way, it sounds like taking him in to the vet and getting a culture done were the right move.

We took Yafe out tonight and gave him his injection. Both he, and Katie, did amazing. Even better than last time.

He had a little dried mucus around his mouth, but, again, it was dry. Additionally, no discharge from his nose today. He made no audible noises like wheezing, popping, etc.

Additionally, he seemed much more comfortable and made no odd movements. Last time he was out (3 days ago when home from the vet and got his injection), he would stretch out his neck and then suddenly and drastically and in jerky motions, move his head side to side several inches each way. He would even bang into my arm or hand. He did this the day before I took him to the vet as well. I am hoping that he was just super uncomfortable and that as he can breath better and the mucus disappears, he will continue not to show signs of that behavior.

Either raising temps and letting him be, the antibiotic, or a combination of the two, seems to be helping.

We saw his tongue out and about today for the first time as well. He had, what I describe as, "Happy Tongue." Slow and exploratory movements. Day 2 and 3 after he arrived, in addition to the popping, wheezing, and discharge, he would only stick his tongue out a few mm at best.

Overall, a very good report.

I will continue to keep everyone in the loop and advise on the culture when able. I want to be sure I should give another injection of the current med on Thursday evening, or pick up a new med if necessary.

I do want to write a little about the past two days. They have been a living hell for me and Katie. We have been so stressed out. We were so worried about Yafe! We didn't know what we would find when we took him out today to give the injection. He had been in his warm hide for the past two days and we had no idea how he was doing. We were so anxious he would be worse, dead, or dying, or still incredibly uncomfortable. Tonight was such a relief. Katie/SunshineWalker cried she was so relieved and I wasn't far behind her. To hear him breathing normally, and to see "normal" movements and not the flailing we saw the day before and the day we took him to the vet, was wonderful. Truly a blessing.

He did help us out a little because when we went to take him out, he had his little head peeking out of the hide entrance. What a relief!

We are not out of the woods yet, and he still needs 8 (at least - assuming correct antibiotic) more injections, and he is still on quarantine for another 90 days or so. However, things are definitely looking up.

Here is a link to a 36 second video of him immediately after the injection and right before he went back in his tank for the next 3 days. His movements look different to me than my ground dwellers (2 Corn snakes and 1 BP) and even my BCI. However, I've never had a carpet python, and he's very arboreal, and he seems in complete control of his movements. So unless someone else with Carpets sees anything out of the ordinary, I am calling today a win.

Video Link to Yafe with Happy Tongue after Injection

https://streamable.com/j7k2n

Last edited by dakski; 10-08-2018 at 10:00 PM.

20. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

Alicia (10-08-2018),Bogertophis (10-08-2018),richardhind1972 (10-09-2018),zina10 (10-09-2018)

Page 6 of 22 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast