Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,445

3 members and 1,442 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,092
Threads: 248,529
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
Page 10 of 22 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

Re: Yafe - Albino Carpet Progression Thread

I talked to my Vet today, who I trust implicitly.

She said that she believes Yafe is on the correct antibiotic for the Bordetella in his lungs. However, she thinks a) we can do more and b) Tufts only did a lung culture, not a blood test etc.

She thinks there may be other things going on, such as a secondary infection, that's making it harder for him to fight off the RI.

We will continue the Ceftazidime injections as planned. However, Yafe is visiting my vet tomorrow morning for a full work up. She is planning to prescribe nebulizer treatments (I forgot the medicine off the top of my head) and also see if there is anything else going on that might need another medication.

At this point, I am very concerned that he's going backwards and that he hasn't eaten now in about 3 weeks. He's only 16 months old and about 115G (probably less now). If he needs treatment for another 3 weeks + to get him back on track that means it will be a long time before he gets another meal.

I would also be lying if I said I wasn't concerned that I cannot fix this. I know that's just negative thoughts creeping in, but I wanted to share.

I will do everything I can for him.

In the meantime, I did email the breeder and the US liaison, but haven't heard back from either. I am assuming, at this point, that I am on my own with whatever the bill is tomorrow (and it won't be low, I am sure of that).

Unbelievably frustrated, distraught, and down. Please keep Yafe, and me and Katie, in your thoughts and prayers.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (10-15-2018),Dianne (10-15-2018),Jakethesnake69 (10-15-2018),richardhind1972 (10-16-2018)

Account Disabled
    Thanks
    It’s gotta be tough staying optimistic but if there are other things going on the probability it shows up in a full work up should be pretty good. Then get the treatment going on that and hit the road back to health.
    I didn’t see any mention the Vet was extremely worried so that’s gotta be a good sign. I can only imagine your frustrations and concern, your not alone in this. A lot of good people on hear hanging on edge to hear the good news it’s going to get better. The updates are appreciated and I really hope the results from tomorrow’s visit bring a little relief.

Oh yeah, in it for the bad as well just not going to bring that up.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Jakethesnake69 For This Useful Post:

dakski (10-15-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,185 Times in 2,610 Posts

If only we had a crystal ball...

For what it's worth, it could be as simple as the congestion breaking up. Which can make breathing harder again, especially since snakes can't really cough it up, like we do. So perhaps he is still on the upswing.

Can't hurt to rule out the darker possibilities, though. I would make sure they do all the important tests that can be done, so he doesn't have the stress of multiple vet visits. Don't worry about him not eating right now. Even 6 weeks of no food is not that bad. He is young and he is small. But they aren't heavy bodied like Ball Pythons. At this point putting his body through the stress of digestion is not a good thing. He needs all his strength and resources to fight off this infection. Sure, food is energy. But for snakes, digestion is HARD work. I read about all the changes that go on in their body during digestion, raising of heart beat, etc.

If you can get him healthy, he will catch up and fast. The priority right now is to keep him as stress free as possible (aside from necessary vet visits, meds, maintenance, etc) and to let him recover. Perhaps you could cover the sides and back of his cage with dark paper. I know they don't hide quite as much as Ball Pythons, but it may make him feel better not to be quite so exposed. You could make it removable in case you have to peek in on him from a certain angle..

Good luck, I know how stressful this must be , my thoughts are with all of you..
    Last edited by zina10; 10-15-2018 at 08:43 PM.
    Zina

0.1 Super Emperor Pinstripe Ball Python "Sunny"
    0.1 Pastel Orange Dream Desert Ghost Ball Python "Luna"
    0.1 Pastel Desert Ghost Ball Python "Arjanam"
    0.1 Lemonblast Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Aurora"
    0.1 Pastel Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Venus"
    1.0 Pastel Butter Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Sirius"
    1.0 Crested Gecko ( Rhacodactylus ciliatus) "Smeagol"

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    - Antoine de Saint-ExupÈry

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zina10 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (10-15-2018),dakski (10-15-2018)

Thanks

Thank you all for the kind words, it means a lot.

Zina10, I hope you are right about the congestion, but for what's worth, the vet didn't think so. She was concerned.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

zina10 (10-15-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,497 Times in 2,689 Posts

Still praying for and with y'all D & Katie.

C'mon Yafe! Let's beat this thing!
    3.0 Carpet Pythons, 1.1 Bullsnakes
    1.0 Olive Python 1.0 Scrub Python,
    1.0 BI, 0.1 BCO

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to EL-Ziggy For This Useful Post:

dakski (10-15-2018),zina10 (10-15-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,185 Times in 2,610 Posts
    I don't mean to freak you out more then you already are..

But since you are going to the Vet tomorrow, and that is the time to bring up and discuss all the possibilities and to order any tests, I'm going to link you to some other possibilities, the "dark" ones when it comes to reoccurring URI in snakes.

Of course it DOES NOT mean he has any of those. Its early days yet, he could simply been having a bad day. But again, since you are going to the Vet, might as well question about the other possibilities. Especially since you have other beloved reptiles, and some diseases are air-born.

In the mean time I would make quarantine as strict as humanely possible. I know you are already taking all kinds of precautions. But I would want him and his cage in a completely different part of the house. True, it may not make a difference at this point, but what can it hurt.

Hopefully you will get more (and better) answers tomorrow.

https://skiploder.wordpress.com/2014...ris-in-snakes/

I'm crossing fingers and toes that he just needs a bit more time and will be right as rain before to long !!
    Zina

0.1 Super Emperor Pinstripe Ball Python "Sunny"
    0.1 Pastel Orange Dream Desert Ghost Ball Python "Luna"
    0.1 Pastel Desert Ghost Ball Python "Arjanam"
    0.1 Lemonblast Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Aurora"
    0.1 Pastel Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Venus"
    1.0 Pastel Butter Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Sirius"
    1.0 Crested Gecko ( Rhacodactylus ciliatus) "Smeagol"

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    - Antoine de Saint-ExupÈry

12. The Following User Says Thank You to zina10 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (10-15-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,822 Times in 11,841 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dakski View Post
    ... Please keep Yafe, and me and Katie, in your thoughts and prayers.
    You know it! It's gut-wrenching for me to imagine what you're going thru, but try to stay optimistic that your vet will find the secondary treatable issue & that Yafe will
    respond and be totally healthy in time. This could be literally ANY one of us going thru this with one of our own snakes.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

dakski (10-15-2018),Jakethesnake69 (10-15-2018),zina10 (10-15-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by zina10 View Post
    I don't mean to freak you out more then you already are..

But since you are going to the Vet tomorrow, and that is the time to bring up and discuss all the possibilities and to order any tests, I'm going to link you to some other possibilities, the "dark" ones when it comes to reoccurring URI in snakes.

Of course it DOES NOT mean he has any of those. Its early days yet, he could simply been having a bad day. But again, since you are going to the Vet, might as well question about the other possibilities. Especially since you have other beloved reptiles, and some diseases are air-born.

In the mean time I would make quarantine as strict as humanely possible. I know you are already taking all kinds of precautions. But I would want him and his cage in a completely different part of the house. True, it may not make a difference at this point, but what can it hurt.

Hopefully you will get more (and better) answers tomorrow.

https://skiploder.wordpress.com/2014...ris-in-snakes/

I'm crossing fingers and toes that he just needs a bit more time and will be right as rain before to long !!
    Thanks Zina10.

He is in my office. Ezzy in Katie's office. Everyone else is downstairs. He was in the same room for 2 days, but then got moved upstairs. When in the same room, as now, he under strict quarantine. No cross contamination.

No one else is showing signs of anything.

Shayna has started her fall/winter fast, but that's nothing new.

I'll keep everyone in the loop.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (10-16-2018),zina10 (10-15-2018)

Thanks

Just got a note from the doctor at Tufts, who said, symptoms can get worse before better and not to worry.

I am still taking Yafe to my vet tomorrow. Again, want all the answers, not some, and will do anything I can for him.

18. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

Alicia (10-15-2018),Bogertophis (10-15-2018),Jakethesnake69 (10-15-2018),jmcrook (10-15-2018),zina10 (10-15-2018)

Thanks

I have very good news.

I did take Yafe to my vet this morning (late morning). We got home a little while ago and overall, Katie and I are feeling significantly better.

My vet said there is no need to nebulize now, and that the current antibiotic is the one she would have put him on. She said keep up the injections and update if he doesn't eat in the next week (which she thinks he will) and if things are not 100% after the last injection.

For what's worth, Zina10, I think your theory about congestion breaking up, etc. was a great one. He was 50% better today than 2 days ago. Almost back to where he was after injection #2. We saw tongue flicks and he did fantastic at the vet. She said he's a total sweetheart and very calm, especially for the species and age.

My vet seemed to think currently, the RI was about a 2 or 3 out of 10. It might have been an 8 when I brought him to Tufts (and a 4 or 5 the other day), but she is feeling very good about where he is at after injection #4. She says she sees a lot of RI's and fears for those animals. Usually caused by bad husbandry and continued poor husbandry keeps the animals from getting better more often than you would want to think. She's known me for years and we are on a first name basis. She said she was worried by my description yesterday, but was so relieved when she saw Yafe today. She says I haven't seen a terrible RI before, and she's not surprised, with my husbandry and the care I give all my reptiles.

Two things to address here.

1. I am not tooting my own horn about husbandry, etc. I do take pride in how I care for my animals, but the point is not that I am a great reptile Dad. The point is that others should learn from this. Proper husbandry + cleanliness = healthy animals a significant amount of the time. Poor husbandry + inadequate care = unhealthy or worse animals.

2. Should I have taken Yafe to the vet today? Especially with what I know now?

The simple answer is, "yes." Unequivocally, I have zero regrets, despite the 4 hours in the car (at 78F - man, Katie and I were sweating), and the cost of the vet today.

If he got worse and I hadn't taken him, I would not be able to live with myself.

If I wasted some time and money, but know he's on the right track and has a great prognosis, so be it. I'll have 20+ years to amortize those costs out with a healthy and happy Yafe.

That, my BP.net buddies, is priceless.

I'll keep updating, but assume he will continue to improve.

I plan to offer food Thursday night after his injection tomorrow night. That gives him two days to digest before he needs another injection. I plan to offer a small meal, but want to see if he will eat. Either way, I'll advise, and offer in about another week, whether he takes a mouse Thursday or not.

Again, thank you all for the support. It is much appreciated. I am incredibly happy to share good news today and hope you all continue to watch Yafe not only get healed, but grow into a happy and healthy Carpet. As those of you who know me can attest; I will continue to update for his life!

20. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (10-16-2018),CALM Pythons (10-17-2018),Dianne (10-16-2018),EL-Ziggy (10-16-2018),jmcrook (10-16-2018),richardhind1972 (10-16-2018),zina10 (10-16-2018)

Page 10 of 22 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast