Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,041

2 members and 3,039 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,083
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, NopeRopeMD
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Facebook Groups

Thanks
    If they are anything the automotive technician groups I'm in it can be great, terrible and everything in between.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Helonwheelz383 For This Useful Post:

ErostheSnake (10-08-2018)

Thanks

Re: Facebook Groups

Quote Originally Posted by Jnksnakes View Post
    That group is super aids. I don't suggest it at all.
    Which one?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Helonwheelz383 View Post
    If they are anything the automotive technician groups I'm in it can be great, terrible and everything in between.
    That’s what my husband said about the truck groups he joined on FB.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to ErostheSnake For This Useful Post:

Michelle-07 (10-08-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ErostheSnake View Post
    If you want to be thoroughly amused and thoroughly annoyed, I highly recommend it.

I joined a handful of them and honestly, I think they’re all ridiculous. A couple of them, you can’t talk about keeping them in tanks at all or they tell you how stupid you are and that you’re killing your snake.

Some of them tell you that lights are the worst thing on the planet and your snakes will be stressed and die if you use them.

Some are of the opinion that if you spot clean and only fully clean weekly or monthly, your snake is being abused. Apparently you need to chance all substrate and deep clean every time they eliminate.

In all of them, if you don’t agree with the collective opinion of the main users, they treat you like absolute garbage....name calling, bullying and then they boot you.

It’s pretty sickening and absolutely ridiculous.

Yeah, I haven't been accepted yet, but I think I'm gonna regret and go away soon because of the way you all talk about it - it sounds awful.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Michelle-07 For This Useful Post:

ErostheSnake (10-08-2018)

Thanks

Facebook Groups

I just tried to join Advanced Herpetological Husbandry and right from the get-go I see a huge red flag.

In the questions you have to answer, they state, “In this group we do not believe in minimalistic housing.”

What’s with everyone trying to make everything so black and white, right and wrong? Don’t misunderstand me - there ARE distinctly bad and good husbandry practices. But there’s also a lot of grey area in between that depends on the species, the keeper, and the individual animal. I just hate it when people are so hell bent on one particular ideology they can’t open their darn eyes to recognize that there might be a place for more than one way of doing things.

I have naturalistic-ish setups right now, so I’m obviously not against them. But it still grinds my gears because I’ve done the minimalistic route in the past and quite frankly, the only one who noticed the difference was me. The snakes behaved exactly the same and thrived regardless - talking about BPs and boas here. Other species might differ. But I want to do naturalistic right now because I have a small number of animals and it’s rewarding to me to set up the enclosures and display them in my house etc. If I had more animals, I might go back to minimalistic, because it’s easier to maintain.

It’s so frustrating.

Last edited by alittleFREE; 10-08-2018 at 01:27 PM.

- Summer

0.1 Bearded Dragon ("Reka")
    0.1 California Kingsnake ("Cleo")
    0.1 Cinnamon Spider Het. Albino Ball Python ("Syd")
    1.0 Hypo Bredl’s Python (“Oz”)

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to alittleFREE For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (10-08-2018),ErostheSnake (10-08-2018),Michelle-07 (10-09-2018)

Thanks

A lot of those Facebook groups are like the cult lol. Some I’ve got the boot some I’ve booted myself. This is one one the best in my opinion

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hmoore1984 For This Useful Post:

ErostheSnake (10-09-2018),Lord Sorril (10-09-2018),Michelle-07 (10-09-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by alittleFREE View Post
    I just tried to join Advanced Herpetological Husbandry and right from the get-go I see a huge red flag.

In the questions you have to answer, they state, “In this group we do not believe in minimalistic housing.”

What’s with everyone trying to make everything so black and white, right and wrong? Don’t misunderstand me - there ARE distinctly bad and good husbandry practices. But there’s also a lot of grey area in between that depends on the species, the keeper, and the individual animal. I just hate it when people are so hell bent on one particular ideology they can’t open their darn eyes to recognize that there might be a place for more than one way of doing things.

I have naturalistic-ish setups right now, so I’m obviously not against them. But it still grinds my gears because I’ve done the minimalistic route in the past and quite frankly, the only one who noticed the difference was me. The snakes behaved exactly the same and thrived regardless - talking about BPs and boas here. Other species might differ. But I want to do naturalistic right now because I have a small number of animals and it’s rewarding to me to set up the enclosures and display them in my house etc. If I had more animals, I might go back to minimalistic, because it’s easier to maintain.

It’s so frustrating.

I am in this group! As well as the Not Just A Pet Rock group. I love both groups. I think they probably just focus on the naturalistic enrichment style of enclosures because almost EVERY other group has more of a focus on minimalistic enclosures. Obviously minimalistic can work and the snakes do fine in them, but almost every other group you will find for Ball Pythons has that theme, so I personally think it's a bit of fresh air to see one going the other direction. While I prefer large, naturalistic, bioactive, enrichment filled enclosures for my snakes, I also concede that the more minimalistic style works fine for people as well - that said, it's nice to have one place of all my BP social groups I am in that has naturalistic as a focus.

For the most part I stay far away from other BP Facebook groups. Nasty bunch of people.

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Spoons For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (10-09-2018),ErostheSnake (10-09-2018),Godzilla78 (10-09-2018),Michelle-07 (10-09-2018)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by alittleFREE View Post

I’m not sure why that’s a “red flag”. They have a reason for existing, and they’re making sure you understand what it is.

They don’t actually insist on “naturalistic” enclosures, either, just that enclosures be decently sized and offer appropriate thermal gradients, more complex and enriched environments, multiple hides, choices of microclimates, and lighting. That often means they’re naturalistic because it’s easier and cheaper to do that and also make it pretty using natural materials. And they’re definitely still in favor of sterile environments for quarantine or for sick/injured animals.

I keep my ball python in a cage just shy of 4x2x2, and wish it was bigger, because he definitely uses it all. Maybe someday I’ll build a bigger one. It has things like colored PVC and plastic bendy tubes, plastic hides, etc in it as well as soil and plants. So it’s not really “naturalistic” in appearance, but it offers the snake a lot more options, exercise, and variety of microclimates than a tub with two hides and a water bowl.

I’m glad to have this group as a resource for things like which plants are likely to survive and look good, seeing how other people heat and light larger enclosures, and of course getting inspiration from the cool things people do. And I do appreciate the philosophy that we can do better than minimal setups that prioritize the convenience of the keeper and the ability to keep more animals in the same space.

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Coluber42 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (10-09-2018),Spoons (10-09-2018),Starscream (10-09-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Coluber42 View Post
    I’m not sure why that’s a “red flag”. They have a reason for existing, and they’re making sure you understand what it is.

They don’t actually insist on “naturalistic” enclosures, either, just that enclosures be decently sized and offer appropriate thermal gradients, more complex and enriched environments, multiple hides, choices of microclimates, and lighting. That often means they’re naturalistic because it’s easier and cheaper to do that and also make it pretty using natural materials. And they’re definitely still in favor of sterile environments for quarantine or for sick/injured animals.

I keep my ball python in a cage just shy of 4x2x2, and wish it was bigger, because he definitely uses it all. Maybe someday I’ll build a bigger one. It has things like colored PVC and plastic bendy tubes, plastic hides, etc in it as well as soil and plants. So it’s not really “naturalistic” in appearance, but it offers the snake a lot more options, exercise, and variety of microclimates than a tub with two hides and a water bowl.

I’m glad to have this group as a resource for things like which plants are likely to survive and look good, seeing how other people heat and light larger enclosures, and of course getting inspiration from the cool things people do. And I do appreciate the philosophy that we can do better than minimal setups that prioritize the convenience of the keeper and the ability to keep more animals in the same space.

I second this! This is what I was getting at and couldn't find the proper words for.

Thanks

I've been accepted to the "Not just a pet rock" and searched it a little bit closer and honestly, I quite like this group... But another one I've been accepted to is.. Well.. Not worth speaking about.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Michelle-07 For This Useful Post:

ErostheSnake (10-09-2018),Starscream (10-09-2018)

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast