Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,361

1 members and 2,360 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

Yafe - Male Albino Carpet Python

Great news! Katie/SunshineWalker and I decided on another addition.

Below are pictures from the breeder of Yafe, our new, about 1 1/4 year old Irian Jaya and Darwin Hybrid Albino (Het Granite) Carpet Python (his birthday is June 2nd, 2017)!

He actually arrives tomorrow morning! I will be sure to post pictures then, but please enjoy the eye candy below in the meantime.

His "life home" is going to be a 4X2X1.5' Boaphile with two 2 1/2 inch perches going across the tank at different levels and different placement front to back. Jeff is customizing the tank as he usually sells 3X2X1.5' arboreal tanks, not 4X2X1.5'. We go back now and I always enjoy working with him; he goes the extra mile. That tank will be ready and here within 7 weeks. Probably less. In the meantime, I have a 21"X12"X12" setup with two shower curtain rods crossing in the middle to give him somewhere to climb and two hides on the bottom as well. He's only 22 inches right now.

Yafe, pronoucned, "Yah-Fee", is hebrew for "handsome."

I am looking forward to an arboreal and display snake. He is apparently a total puppy dog. Has never shown nippiness or defensiveness, but is a good eater. I will hook train him, but apparently, out and about, just like Behira (BCI - my other hook trained individual), he's a sweetheart. We cannot wait to meet him!

I asked for the calmest most docile (small - IJ and Darwin) carpets he had. Yafe also turned out to be one of the best, if not they best, looking one as well.

The breeder I am getting Yafe from is Star Pythons, https://www.carpetpythons.com. They are German based, but have many animals here and Adam is their US representative and is shipping Yafe to us from the Chicago area. So far, I cannot speak higher of them and of Adam.

Without further ado, here are the pictures.

I love his orange head and the contrast in his body with the deep orange color. He also has some pinks in the white and apparently will get deeper contrast as he grows.

[IMG][IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

This is his mother - Albino Granite.

[IMG][/IMG]

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (10-02-2018),Gio (10-02-2018),Kira (10-02-2018),MR Snakes (12-07-2018),richardhind1972 (10-01-2018),Sauzo (10-02-2018),Sonny1318 (10-02-2018)

Thanks

Re: Yafe - Male Albino Carpet Python

Oh wow! You made a great choice....

I held another member's carpet python a couple months ago and immediately was hooked. I think I can speak for many on here, that we'll be looking forward to the progression thread on Yafe. Congrats again to the both of you.
    1.0 Motley IMG BCI - (Venom)

1.0 Super Ghost BCI - (Phantom)

1.0 Boxer - (Knox)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to ckuhn003 For This Useful Post:

dakski (10-01-2018)

BPnet Senior Member richardhind1972's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,173 Times in 3,204 Posts

Congratulations ,Very nice indeed,
    Really look forward to the progression thread on yafe
    I really love his orange head and them deep heat pits just stunning

Sent from my TA-1024 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by richardhind1972; 10-01-2018 at 03:34 PM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to richardhind1972 For This Useful Post:

dakski (10-01-2018)

BPnet Veteran BallPythonWannaBe's Avatar
    Thanks

Such an accurate name! I look forwards to seeing more pictures of this handsome dude
    "It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live"
    -J.K Rowling Sorcerer's Stone
    Long time no see, back at it again in my white vans.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to BallPythonWannaBe For This Useful Post:

dakski (10-01-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,497 Times in 2,689 Posts

Congratulations on the stellar new addition. I love his banding. I've spoken with Josh at Star Pythons a few times. They produce some amazing animals and you definitely picked a beauty. I think you two will really enjoy the Morelia experience.
    3.0 Carpet Pythons, 1.1 Bullsnakes
    1.0 Olive Python 1.0 Scrub Python,
    1.0 BI, 0.1 BCO

10. The Following User Says Thank You to EL-Ziggy For This Useful Post:

dakski (10-01-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ckuhn003 View Post
    Oh wow! You made a great choice....

I held another member's carpet python a couple months ago and immediately was hooked. I think I can speak for many on here, that we'll be looking forward to the progression thread on Yafe. Congrats again to the both of you.
    Believe it or not, the only Carpet I've held was a full grown Coastal. Chill dude and easy to handle. About 7-8FT, but totally manageable. I love the look, the feel, and the arboreal/display nature of them. Wanted something not too big though, which is why I went with a IJ/Darwin Hybrid. We will see when he arrives, but supposedly, his mood is awesome as well and he is chill and docile.

Quote Originally Posted by richardhind1972 View Post
    Congratulations ,Very nice indeed,
    Really look forward to the progression thread on yafe
    I really love his orange head and them deep heat pits just stunning

Sent from my TA-1024 using Tapatalk
    Lol - yeah, I miss the heat pits on Behira versus the pythons. You are long Boas Rich, so I imagine not many heat pits around your house. . I totally agree on his orange. It blew me away. Most carpets I've seen are like BP albinos; yellow and white. Shayna, my Albino Spider BP has very little white and is two shades of yellow. Cool up close, but I miss some of the contrast she had as a youngster. Yafe is called a bi-color albino. He's orange and yellow and then has the pinkish/lavender whites. As he grows the contrast/distinction should only get stronger. It's subtle in his body, but his head blew my mind. Had to get him!

Quote Originally Posted by BallPythonWannaBe View Post
    Such an accurate name! I look forwards to seeing more pictures of this handsome dude
    Thank you. I actually named him. Katie named the past few additions (Behira, Solana, and Esmeralda - who is hers, so I cannot argue that), but she picks great names, so no complaints here. No doubt in anyone's mind on the forum, especially mine, that there will be many updates and pictures going up on this thread. If anything, I tend to overdue it, not the opposite.

Quote Originally Posted by EL-Ziggy View Post
    Congratulations on the stellar new addition. I love his banding. I've spoken with Josh at Star Pythons a few times. They produce some amazing animals and you definitely picked a beauty. I think you two will really enjoy the Morelia experience.
    Yeah, as mentioned above, the banding will get more pronounced with age. I was also looking at a Albino Granite, like Yafe's mom, but although beautiful, and had incredible subtle detail, I missed the contrast he has. Oh, and that orange with the yellow and the subtle pinkish coloring, wow!

I am super excited. Katie is even going to help unbox with me. She's never done that - always at work, but she gets to go in late tomorrow. We are really excited about his color/pattern, but are psyched for his personality. He's supposed to be super calm, but curious, and apparently he likes to wrap around wrists and hold on! Sounds more like Behira than like Shayna or the corn snakes. Going to be cool to have a different personality as well as a display snake.

I will update ASAP tomorrow, and, obviously, cannot wait until morning!
    Last edited by dakski; 10-01-2018 at 06:48 PM.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

ckuhn003 (10-01-2018),richardhind1972 (10-02-2018)

Thanks

Yafe's tank is all setup for tomorrow morning.

Pictures are below.

One question and I'll describe the temps zones.

I found these cool fake bamboo sticks by Flukers that both have suction cups and are spring loaded to secure them. The box I got, the last one at petco, had crappy suction cups on them. Additionally, the doors on Yafe's temporary tank are huge! The sticks are too short to go in the long way, but in order to get them to stick and be secure, I had to put them on angles. Is this okay? His Boaphile comes in 6-7 weeks and will have two horizontal PVC pipes/bars that go the full 4FT length of the cage. They will be placed at different levels top to bottom and also different depth (front to back) in the tank and should be great for him, especially as he gets bigger.

However, in the meantime, this is what I have to work with. I imagine not all branches are horizontal in nature, and the two branches are at different angles and also close enough that he can lay across them.

Is this okay for him?

Finally, temps.

Left side and middle top are hot spots. There is an UTH under the warm hide on the back left that's set to 88-89F. Towards the middle to top of the middle "bamboo" stick, it's 89-90F (for a good 6 inch stretch).

The left stick goes from 82-86F.

Ambient temps are about 80-82F and cool side temps are about 77-80F.

Everything look good?

I hear they like a gradient and the hot spot should be 88-93F for adults, but 88-91F is a good range for all ages. Apparently juveniles cannot handle a 92-93F hot spot as well as the adults. I plan to keep the hot spot 88-91F tops in this tank and probably that range for his life. Maybe go 89-91F on the hottest spot in the boaphile tank, where it will be easier to regulate (a lot more room).

Pictures below and cannot wait until tomorrow morning!

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Thanks
    Thanked 19,795 Times in 11,828 Posts
    Yafe is stunning & I love his name too! How long is he? And how long is he expected to ultimately get? Didn't take you long to decide & I can see why.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,497 Times in 2,689 Posts

I'm not sure how large Yafe is but those hides look a little big for a yearling. Other than that you should be all set D. I usually keep my hot spot at 88-90 but a couple of degrees either way won't hurt. Ambient temps of 78-82 are fine too. Mine get down to as low as 70 during some winter nights. They're pretty hardy snakes.
    3.0 Carpet Pythons, 1.1 Bullsnakes
    1.0 Olive Python 1.0 Scrub Python,
    1.0 BI, 0.1 BCO

16. The Following User Says Thank You to EL-Ziggy For This Useful Post:

BeardedMTBbros (10-11-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Yafe is stunning & I love his name too! How long is he? And how long is he expected to ultimately get? Didn't take you long to decide & I can see why.
    Thank you Bogertophis! He is 22-24 inches right now. He will be between 5-6.5FT, but not super thick bodied like a BP or a BCI. It didn't take long. Once I decided on a Carpet, the decision was pretty easy. Yafe is stunning and is supposed to have personality and temperament to boot.

Quote Originally Posted by EL-Ziggy View Post
    I'm not sure how large Yafe is but those hides look a little big for a yearling. Other than that you should be all set D. I usually keep my hot spot at 88-90 but a couple of degrees either way won't hurt. Ambient temps of 78-82 are fine too. Mine get down to as low as 70 during some winter nights. They're pretty hardy snakes.
    El-Ziggy, agreed on the hides. I already switched out the one on the right (cool side) with one half its size (round). Much more floor space now as well. I kept the one on the left side, but it's full of paper towels. I use that size for Solana at 28G (as well as small hides - have 6 in there now as she's in a 3X2') and she loves it with all the paper towels in there. She gets snug in the corner curled up with the paper towels. I'll see if he likes it too. If not, I'll get another small/medium hide.

Appreciate the knowledge that they are hardy. I am a pretty good and meticulous reptile keeper, however, he will be my first Carpet. Glad he's a yearling and not younger.

5AM and I am already having trouble sleeping; it's mere hours now.

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (10-02-2018),EL-Ziggy (10-02-2018),MR Snakes (12-07-2018),richardhind1972 (10-02-2018)

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast