Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,124

3 members and 3,121 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

How adorable is my mom?!

While I have been in South Korea for school my mom (who used to be really afraid of snakes and could not understand why someone would own one) has been taking care of my ball python, Winry. She is constantly texting me updates and it brings me so much joy that she loves her almost as much as I do!!

She has even talked about potentially owning her own snake at some point! Most likely it would be a diamond carpet python or a boa.

Winry-Pastel Vanilla BP

2. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Kira For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

AbsoluteApril (10-01-2018),Bogertophis (10-01-2018),Craiga 01453 (10-01-2018),dakski (10-01-2018),dr del (10-01-2018),hilabeans (10-01-2018),MissterDog (10-01-2018),purpleroan (10-04-2018),richardhind1972 (10-01-2018),Ronniex2 (10-01-2018),tttaylorrr (10-01-2018),VereMyth (10-01-2018)

Thanks
    That is quite the turnaround lol, my mother was actually pretty on board, unlike my aunt who is so afraid she has to hold my uncle's hand while in the same room. I really did not understand at first how people could be so irrationally fearful of such an animal.

Though she has gotten better with the animals she used to be so afraid she would avoid the one entire side of the house. But as time goes on this irrational fear she has seems to dim as like stated above she can stay in the room and she even developed a curiosity which I take as a good sign.

The same situation with my moms boyfriend was afraid not nearly as much as my aunt but he went from poking(lol) to petting and eventually now he struts around like it's his crown achievement and takes initiative to ask if he can retrieve her from the enclosure.

I have found that most people seem to have developed this fear in two parts

1. Ignorance or lack of knowledge about the subject matter.

2. Along with the VERY common association of snakes with almost anything evil or of ill omen, one of the most noticed of these I have seen is in Disney's Aladdin(jefar).

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to VereMyth For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (10-01-2018),Kira (10-01-2018),richardhind1972 (10-01-2018),Ronniex2 (10-01-2018)

Thanks

Re: How adorable is my mom?!

Quote Originally Posted by VereMyth View Post
    That is quite the turnaround lol, my mother was actually pretty on board, unlike my aunt who is so afraid she has to hold my uncle's hand while in the same room. I really did not understand at first how people could be so irrationally fearful of such an animal.

Though she has gotten better with the animals she used to be so afraid she would avoid the one entire side of the house. But as time goes on this irrational fear she has seems to dim as like stated above she can stay in the room and she even developed a curiosity which I take as a good sign.

The same situation with my moms boyfriend was afraid not nearly as much as my aunt but he went from poking(lol) to petting and eventually now he struts around like it's his crown achievement and takes initiative to ask if he can retrieve her from the enclosure.

I have found that most people seem to have developed this fear in two parts

1. Ignorance or lack of knowledge about the subject matter.

2. Along with the VERY common association of snakes with almost anything evil or of ill omen, one of the most noticed of these I have seen is in Disney's Aladdin(jefar).
    I agree that it is mostly ignorance. Usually, when I tell someone that I have a ball python they ask if she will eat my dogs...I think they just hear the word "python" and automatically assume its a huge snake. It puts things in perspective better when I tell them that she only weighs 2.2 lbs so she couldn't do much damage if she tried. I really hate how snakes are portrayed in the media! I wish that the general public was educated better about snakes. Everyone seems to think that they are mean and slimy.

My mom hadn't really interacted with snakes before meeting Winry so she didn't really have a reason to dislike snakes. She just thought that they were creepy and that all of them would bite. After meeting my ball python she said that she "looks like a puppy". She even went to a reptile exo with me in January and really enjoyed it. Recently she held a boa at a pet store and wanted to take her home It helps when people keep an open mind.
    Winry-Pastel Vanilla BP

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Kira For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (10-01-2018),MissterDog (10-01-2018),richardhind1972 (10-01-2018),Ronniex2 (10-01-2018),VereMyth (10-01-2018)

Thanks
    WOW that is so awesome your mom looks you out like that,

My mom has been my “sponsor” for most my animal affinity now ... we went from little plastic cages with albino claw frogs and fire belly salamanders, to driving past go past flea markets and see glass tanks and getting 5-6 tanks – (as many could fit in our room – I am a twin so it was a team thing lol) go snake hunting grab a few gardnersnakes or to Valued Pet and graba real pet: 1-2 Iguanas, few anole, maybe a skank( had her for the longest), or a BP or 2 ... but the tanks weren't made to be empty lol… we used to suck at reptile care as a youth #death2theheatrock lol… but I’m talking mid 90’s.. No internet or experienced pet store workers here in NJ then ugh...

But that is then and this is now... mom not dropping the $ I need for my collection no more.. Even though she bought my 75 gal a few yrs ago lol.. Just need to figure out what to put in it now lol ..
    Anyways.. CHEERS to MOM's who made us and put up wth our stuff - BP moms, and real moms alike lol

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ronniex2 View Post
    WOW that is so awesome your mom looks you out like that,

My mom has been my “sponsor” for most my animal affinity now ... we went from little plastic cages with albino claw frogs and fire belly salamanders, to driving past go past flea markets and see glass tanks and getting 5-6 tanks – (as many could fit in our room – I am a twin so it was a team thing lol) go snake hunting grab a few gardnersnakes or to Valued Pet and graba real pet: 1-2 Iguanas, few anole, maybe a skank( had her for the longest), or a BP or 2 ... but the tanks weren't made to be empty lol… we used to suck at reptile care as a youth #death2theheatrock lol… but I’m talking mid 90’s.. No internet or experienced pet store workers here in NJ then ugh...

But that is then and this is now... mom not dropping the $ I need for my collection no more.. Even though she bought my 75 gal a few yrs ago lol.. Just need to figure out what to put in it now lol ..
    Anyways.. CHEERS to MOM's who made us and put up wth our stuff - BP moms, and real moms alike lol

That’s mom, big sis, and twin all loving on my Spell

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ronniex2 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (10-01-2018),Kira (10-01-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kira View Post
    I agree that it is mostly ignorance. Usually, when I tell someone that I have a ball python they ask if she will eat my dogs...I think they just hear the word "python" and automatically assume its a huge snake. It puts things in perspective better when I tell them that she only weighs 2.2 lbs so she couldn't do much damage if she tried. I really hate how snakes are portrayed in the media! I wish that the general public was educated better about snakes. Everyone seems to think that they are mean and slimy.

My mom hadn't really interacted with snakes before meeting Winry so she didn't really have a reason to dislike snakes. She just thought that they were creepy and that all of them would bite. After meeting my ball python she said that she "looks like a puppy". She even went to a reptile exo with me in January and really enjoyed it. Recently she held a boa at a pet store and wanted to take her home It helps when people keep an open mind.
    Least she is open to trying ... I mean I’m sure you used some persuasion to geese them wheels lol . About least you set her up with a good situation to take care of ... maybe introduce her to the forum if she has any questions lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Ronniex2 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (10-01-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,739 Times in 11,797 Posts
    Kira, your Mom absolutely rocks! and let her know she is welcome here any time!

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Kira (10-01-2018),Ronniex2 (10-19-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,788 Times in 4,306 Posts

O.K that's adorable

Big cograts to your family in not only accepting your pets but learning to love them
    Derek

7 adult Royals (2.5), 1.0 COS Pastel, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Lesser platty Royal python, 1.1 Black pastel Royal python, 0.1 Blue eyed leucistic ( Super lesser), 0.1 Piebald Royal python, 1.0 Sinaloan milk snake 1.0 crested gecko and 1 bad case of ETS. no wife, no surprise.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dr del For This Useful Post:

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    Yay!!!! Go Kira's Mom!!!

Awesome thread, thanks for sharing!!!!
    Last edited by Craiga 01453; 10-01-2018 at 09:53 PM.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post: