Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,014

1 members and 3,013 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: RI Question

Thanks

Re: RI Question

I have used nebulizers in cats with severe URI - it seems to help some, more to make them breathe easier for a bit vs medically helping with the disease process, but as long as its saline and not tap water / something scented it shouldn't hurt
    No cage is too large - nature is the best template - a snoot can't be booped too much

BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,906 Times in 839 Posts
    Nebulizer are great things. I had a dog with lung disease and any sniffle meant we broke out the nebulizer, kept the amount of time she needed to be on oxygen treatments down for sure.

The fine mist helps break down the solid chunks in the lungs when its inhaled. Once the vet gets the culture results back, you can ask if there's a medication you can add to the nebulizer treatments that can help.

I hope you get some good news on the culture and it's something easy to treat. Hope the noodle gets well soon!
    Last edited by Armiyana; 10-04-2018 at 01:05 AM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Armiyana For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (10-11-2018)

Thanks

Re: RI Question Update

Just got the results of the culture test and they found two different types of bacteria. One was a normal bacteria that's found in all snakes mouths and the other is a real nasty one that's highly resistant to most antibiotics. When I go to the vet to pick up the antibiotics and the test results I'll post the names of the bacteria.

4 trips to the vet, three months of antibiotics. and $550 all a waste. The bacteria is resistant to both antibiotics I've already tried and the one I need has to be special ordered. I wonder if the kid I got the snake from knew he had a highly resistant bacteria when he surrendered the snake.

Now that I'm on the right track I hope this will get my guy healthy.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to NJ Balls For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (10-11-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,854 Times in 4,776 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NJ Balls View Post
    Just got the results of the culture test and they found two different types of bacteria. One was a normal bacteria that's found in all snakes mouths and the other is a real nasty one that's highly resistant to most antibiotics. When I go to the vet to pick up the antibiotics and the test results I'll post the names of the bacteria.

4 trips to the vet, three months of antibiotics. and $550 all a waste. The bacteria is resistant to both antibiotics I've already tried and the one I need has to be special ordered. I wonder if the kid I got the snake from knew he had a highly resistant bacteria when he surrendered the snake.

Thank you for the update. I'd be very interested in seeing the culture results and the prescribed antibiotic.

BPnet Senior Member CALM Pythons's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,442 Times in 1,365 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bcr229 View Post
    Thank you for the update. I'd be very interested in seeing the culture results and the prescribed antibiotic.
    Me too. So many Vets seem to have a lack of experience with these Reptiles and it’s great that we have a site that we can read up on to help educate the damn Vet too if we need to!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Name: Christian
    0.1 Albino Ball (Sophie)
    0.1 Russo White Diamond (Grace)
    1.0 Hypo Burmese (Giacomo/AKA Jock)
    1.2 Razors Edge/Gotti & American Pit Bull
    ----------
    1.1 Albino/Normal Burmese (Mr & Mrs Snake)
    1.0 Albino Ball (Sully)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to CALM Pythons For This Useful Post:

Michelle-07 (10-11-2018)

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Are saline nebulizer treatment going to help?
    In a way neutralizer helps alleviate symptoms and breaking down mucus however that's about it and if I was going to do that I would use F10 not just saline. (another thing your vet does not seem to be aware of)
    Deborah Stewart

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Glad to hear you got some real answers and I hope now your snake can recover! Please keep us posted!

Now for the PSA:
    Antibiotic resistance is a real thing, in animals and in people. That’s why vets, doctors, farmers, etc, should NOT use antibiotics in a scattershot way, or prophylactically even though it’s very tempting.
    Please people, even if the vet doesn’t mention it or it’s expensive, ask for the culture before starting antibiotics.
    Also why you should always finish your entire course of antibiotics as prescribed even if you’re feeling better before you run out. Doses that are only partially effective kill off the bacteria that are susceptible and leave their more resistant relatives to survive and breed.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Coluber42 For This Useful Post:

bcr229 (10-11-2018),Bogertophis (10-11-2018)

Thanks

Glad you got the cultures done. I know Pseudomonas can become resistant and is common in reptiles. Just make sure you use proper QT procedure and also wash your hands well. Hope the new antibiotics help. Snakes are amazingly hearty and with support can bounce back. good luck
    No cage is too large - nature is the best template - a snoot can't be booped too much

Thanks
    Thanked 19,791 Times in 11,826 Posts

The bacteria is resistant to both antibiotics I've already tried and the one I need has to be special ordered. I wonder if the kid I got the snake from knew he had a highly resistant bacteria when he surrendered the snake.....
    I was suspicious when you first posted this...I'm willing to bet they tried an antibiotic already that didn't work, but probably never went the whole lab-work route-
    they had a good indication that it wouldn't be an easy-to-treat illness, & decided it was easier to give him away than to pay for the lab work, in case that still didn't
    work for him. Good job coming to the rescue... Let's hope he gets well after all this.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 10-11-2018 at 06:47 PM.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Coluber42 (10-11-2018),Ronniex2 (10-12-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Deborah View Post
    In a way neutralizer helps alleviate symptoms and breaking down mucus however that's about it and if I was going to do that I would use F10 not just saline. (another thing your vet does not seem to be aware of)
    Can you put F10 in the nebulizer? I had to get the saline for inhalation on amazon and I see the F10 too but it does't say for inhalation.

The vet said he'll most likely be on antibiotics for three months so I have plenty of time to get F10.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast