Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,084

1 members and 3,083 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

Burmese Python tips?

Hey everyone! Working with a Burmese male named Dexter he's about a year old or so, 6-6 1/2 feet long but still not super thick about the size of my wrist around so about 4 inches around, gaining weight slowly but surely. Thus far he hasn't been handled much and eats every 2 weeks sheds about once a month or so maybe a bit less. Been working on handling at least once or twice a week for the last 2-3 months, he's doing very well but today there was a mishap and he freaked out because one of the dogs got super close, the dogs are usually afraid but he was running after a beetle that appeared and freaked him out, musk everywhere open mouth going everywhere full on hiss, got a lil kiss to prove the mishap on my elbow. No big deal to me to be honest but Im afraid it might set back the progress on handling. Anyways my questions are, is this gonna be detrimental or do I give him a couple days and try again? Second question, any tips or suggestions as for handling and "socialization"?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Dexterslab For This Useful Post:

CALM Pythons (10-11-2018)

Thanks

Re: Burmese Python tips?

ironically enough I used to have a Burm named Dexter....go figure lol.

So as far as what happened, it's not rare but you should do what you can to avoid it again. So if it were me I would keep your dogs away every time you hold him. He's obviously telling you he wants nothing to do with your furry friends. Burms like to analyze and make decisions. Some species like retics just go and explore no matter what.....Burms on the other hand love to watch and develop thoughts. This has been my experience at least. So I would think that he's been watching your dog for some time and when your dog got close to him it set him over the edge.

I would let him cool off for 3-5 days, and then continue handling him without your dog around.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to KevinK For This Useful Post:

CALM Pythons (10-11-2018)

BPnet Senior Member CALM Pythons's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,442 Times in 1,365 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dexterslab View Post
    Hey everyone! Working with a Burmese male named Dexter he's about a year old or so, 6-6 1/2 feet long but still not super thick about the size of my wrist around so about 4 inches around, gaining weight slowly but surely. Thus far he hasn't been handled much and eats every 2 weeks sheds about once a month or so maybe a bit less. Been working on handling at least once or twice a week for the last 2-3 months, he's doing very well but today there was a mishap and he freaked out because one of the dogs got super close, the dogs are usually afraid but he was running after a beetle that appeared and freaked him out, musk everywhere open mouth going everywhere full on hiss, got a lil kiss to prove the mishap on my elbow. No big deal to me to be honest but Im afraid it might set back the progress on handling. Anyways my questions are, is this gonna be detrimental or do I give him a couple days and try again? Second question, any tips or suggestions as for handling and "socialization"?
    Hey nice to meet another BurmBro
    It sounds to me like you have a 1.5 year old that hasn’t had much interaction. No big deal.... the easiest way IMO is to handle 5 times a week for about 5-10 min as long as he will tolerate it without getting defensive. You want to end a handling on a good note. After I feed mine are usually asking to come out 24-48 hrs after, so I wait until 48hrs for digestion. At around 7pm they will be cruising around the enclosure or literally looking out the glass waiting to come out. Now initially I had to use a hook (Hook Training) to let them know that they it was me who after several handlings realize i was not a threat. Soon you’ll find once you open the enclosure, stroke him with the hook and be patient he will want to come out on his own. Once they start to exit I let them ise my hand and arm as a branch. I always support them 1/4 back and at the Tail right over where they piss/musk. This can help with keeping piss from flying and give them a sense of security. If at first he is defensive where gloves.
    Keep all animals out of the room. My old Male nailed the glass when one of the dogs got into the room. They will become use to the smell of other animals (I have Rats in the same room) after a while. It sounds like he hasn’t had much interaction with anything so that’s why you’re having a bit of trouble. I just started a FB group too id like anyone with Burms or interest to join. Were few and far between it seems there’s a lot more ball python forum interaction. Glad to see you here. Share photos and start a progression thread for him under Giant Pythons
    Here is a link to my group share it also if you have a Facebook and know anyone else with Burms.
    https://m.facebook.com/groups/870502199821484

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Name: Christian
    0.1 Albino Ball (Sophie)
    0.1 Russo White Diamond (Grace)
    1.0 Hypo Burmese (Giacomo/AKA Jock)
    1.2 Razors Edge/Gotti & American Pit Bull
    ----------
    1.1 Albino/Normal Burmese (Mr & Mrs Snake)
    1.0 Albino Ball (Sully)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to CALM Pythons For This Useful Post:

dkatz4 (10-24-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CALM Pythons View Post
    Hey nice to meet another BurmBro

I just started a FB group too id like anyone with Burms or interest to join. Were few and far between it seems there’s a lot more ball python forum interaction. Glad to see you here. Share photos and start a progression thread for him under Giant Pythons
    Here is a link to my group share it also if you have a Facebook and know anyone else with Burms.
    https://m.facebook.com/groups/870502199821484

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Just sent a join request (David J Katz)
    1.0 Central American BI: Irwin
    0.1 Jungle, het snow BI: Gimel
    1.0 green albino, het granite Burm: Dr. Waffles
    1.0 Betta fish: Convertible
    1.1 cats: Tipitina (Tipi) and Professor Longhair (Fess)
    0.1 Egyptian baladi dog: Toasty

8. The Following User Says Thank You to dkatz4 For This Useful Post:

CALM Pythons (10-24-2018)