Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,786

0 members and 2,786 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

Update on king shedding behavior + handling tips?

Hey everyone, I posted a few days ago about my 3 month old king's extreme aggression during his shed--he did shed, and it was a good, complete shed, but I went to feed him this evening, figuring he'd be pretty hungry by now, and he's still aggressive. I got mostly defensive strikes and it took me a long time to get him to take the pinkies. Is this because I disturbed him during shed and he's still scared?

That said, he's not normally so nippy, but he is a nervous snake, and I wanted to ask if anyone with a little more experience with kings has any advice about "taming" them. I don't handle my snakes very often, but I would like them to grow into docile adults who aren't stressed by handling or my hands being in the cage. Thanks!
    1.0 Lesser Ball Python
    0.1 Mojave Ball Python
    And their 6 hatchlings (:

Thanks
    Thanked 19,739 Times in 11,797 Posts
    A 3 mo. old king is still tiny & very defensive...it's normal, be patient. They are more at risk from predators when in blue, they know that instinctively, so
    that's probably why he's still spooked. What kind of king snake? Their personalities can vary quite a bit- does he have plenty of hiding places?

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (09-29-2018),Jus1More (09-30-2018),lizzylizard (09-30-2018)

Thanks

Re: Update on king shedding behavior + handling tips?

Everyone is going to have a different opinion but as far as handling goes I would try to handle every day, but limit the interaction to easy handling with about a ten minute session. He will get used to you eventually. Just remember he's a baby colubrid and he's not going to hurt you even if he tags you a bunch of times. Remember that you'll do more damage to him by being jumpy when he strikes than he will do to you.

Best of luck.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KevinK For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (09-29-2018),lizzylizard (09-30-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    A 3 mo. old king is still tiny & very defensive...it's normal, be patient. They are more at risk from predators when in blue, they know that instinctively, so
    that's probably why he's still spooked. What kind of king snake? Their personalities can vary quite a bit- does he have plenty of hiding places?
    He has a warm hide and a cool hide, and 4-5 inches of aspen that he burrows in. I'm not sure what kind he is; he was a rescue and the previous owners didn't have any information on him besides his age.

Here's a picture of him though, maybe one of you can identify him: https://scontent.fewr1-3.fna.fbcdn.n...93&oe=5C58C545
    1.0 Lesser Ball Python
    0.1 Mojave Ball Python
    And their 6 hatchlings (:

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lizzylizard For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (09-30-2018),Craiga 01453 (09-30-2018)

Thanks
    That's a California king snake, the striped version; there's also banded ones, albino versions & desert phase, so your confusion is understandable as there's so
    many variations, including some with crazy markings (dots & dashes) when you mate a banded with a striped. They are often quite nervous snakes, especially
    when young...it's typical & doesn't mean he won't outgrow it. As I said, just be patient.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (09-30-2018),Jus1More (09-30-2018),lizzylizard (10-01-2018)

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    Hello. Like Bogertophis said, he's a striped Cal King.

At only 3 months old, they are still nervous and skittish. Think about it this way...when they're that tiny, just about anything can be perceived as a predator, including you. As they get some size on them, they gain confidence and that defensive behavior will lessen drastically.

The best way to get him to mellow out a bit is to handle him. Short and sweet sessions, maybe 10 minutes tops. I would handle every day if possible (with the exception of feeding day and the following 2 days for digestion). He'll get used to your smell, he'll get used to your presence, he'll get used to you entering his enclosure (his safe area) and he'll gradually realize that you are not a predator. So his defensive behavior will fade as he gains more confidence.

As for the feeding, sounds like a Kingsnake to me. As I mentioned in your other thread, Django is an absolute sweetheart. Typically very chill, makes slow, calculated movements. But.....as soon as he smells his meal in the air he goes into "feed mode" and he acts like he drank a 6-pack of Red Bull and ate a box of Nerds and a dozen Pixie Sticks. He'll strike and miss and fly across his enclosure like a madman.
    Kings have a crazy food response and it sounds to me like that's all that's going on with your King. VERY different from a BP in feed mode.
    Last edited by Craiga 01453; 09-30-2018 at 08:08 AM.

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (09-30-2018),Jus1More (09-30-2018),KevinK (09-30-2018),lizzylizard (10-01-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,897 Times in 2,992 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by craigafrechette View Post

At only 3 months old, they are still nervous and skittish. Think about it this way...when they're that tiny, just about anything can be perceived as a predator, including you. As they get some size on them, they gain confidence and that defensive behavior will lessen drastically.

The best way to get him to mellow out a bit is to handle him. Short and sweet sessions, maybe 10 minutes tops. I would handle every day if possible (with the exception of feeding day and the following 2 days for digestion). He'll get used to your smell, he'll get used to your presence, he'll get used to you entering his enclosure (his safe area) and he'll gradually realize that you are not a predator. So his defensive behavior will fade as he gains more confidence.

As for the feeding, sounds like a Kingsnake to me. As I mentioned in your other thread, Django is an absolute sweetheart. Typically very chill, makes slow, calculated movements. But.....as soon as he smells his meal in the air he goes into "feed mode" and he acts like he drank a 6-pack of Red Bull and ate a box of Nerds and a dozen Pixie Sticks. He'll strike and miss and fly across his enclosure like a madman.
    Kings have a crazy food response and it sounds to me like that's all that's going on with your King. VERY different from a BP in feed mode.
    Yeah .. feeding king snakes really helps focus the mind

Mine are all drop feeders and so I check where they are in their vivs then open the sliding glass at the opposite end ... then throw the mouse in and slide the glass back into place .. takes me about 0.03 of a second

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Zincubus For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (09-30-2018),lizzylizard (10-01-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,897 Times in 2,992 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by craigafrechette View Post

Yeah .. feeding king snakes really helps focus the mind

Mine are all drop feeders and so I check where they are in their vivs then open the sliding glass at the opposite end ... then throw the mouse in and slide the glass back into place .. takes me about 0.03 of a second :

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks

One thing to remember about handling ANY small snake is that we are roughly 98.6* of heat...so when they get "restless" & don't want any more handling, it
    may NOT only be about their fear, it may just be that they are overwhelmed by excessive (& potentially harmful) warmth coming from us. King & corn snakes
    are tiny compared to the heavier bodied BPs and boas (that also happen to NEED & like more body warmth), so it doesn't take much for them to feel too warm
    & want to get away. When you handle young (small) colubrids, keep in mind what their comfort range is as far as temperature...don't over-heat them.
    As already suggested, keep handling sessions short with hatchling & neonate snakes. It takes time for them to grow, learn not to fear & to tolerate us.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (10-01-2018),lizzylizard (10-01-2018)