Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,118

1 members and 3,117 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,490
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma

Thread: Are they sick?

Thanks

Are they sick?

Ok so I briefly touched in this topic in another post but got no responses in reference to it. I own 15 snakes and recently I aquired a couple that exhibit the same....traits? They have no bubbles or wheezing or anything like that. But when I see them relaxing in there hides 8 out of 10 times there head isn't horizontal laying on themselves. It's tilted like they feel sick. Before I realized the head thing I started to notice both BPs don't try to run when I pick them up. They sort of sit for a while and eventually they will move around but slowly. Neither one has ever taken of fast like I'd expect babies to. Am I paranoid or is this a sign of something I'm missing. Could mites cause this? I'm currently treating one in a seperate room for mites. I'm pulling my hair out. Collectively there worth 1.3k and I will take them to a vet if need be but I'm waiting for fecal to bring also. Calm me down or push me to go either way I need help community. TY

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

1.0 banana bee
    0.1 butter pastel
    0.1 pastel
    0.1 mojave het clown
    1.2 DH albino pied
    0.1 OD YB pastel
    1.0 nuclear (butter,fire)
    0.1 lavender albino het pied
    1.1 enchi clown / clown
    0.1 superfly sugar
    1.0 freeway

Thanks
    Thanked 19,740 Times in 11,797 Posts
    Healthy snakes can tilt their heads when they're relaxing, I don't think it means anything, & BPs aren't the fastest moving snakes either. Hard to say if what
    you're seeing is significant or not...neurological issues can be caused from being over-heated or over-exposed to say, Provent-A-Mite (aka PAM), but we aren't
    seeing your snakes to diagnose...sure hope it's only that you're over-thinking this & worrying needlessly. You said you just added a few snakes, but for how
    long have you been keeping snakes before this? I ask because I've been keeping snakes for many years & often can tell that something is off even when a
    vet sees nothing amiss; if you're real observant, you might be right that something is wrong with them, but no way I can tell you for sure...wish I could. This
    isn't so much a symptom of having mites, but mites are thought to be disease vectors (-they can carry & spread diseases). Did all your new snakes come from
    the same source? or different ones? Sure hope they are quarantined from your others & that you are practicing good isolation techniques? Are they eating?
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 09-29-2018 at 08:45 PM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Knowell (09-29-2018)

Thanks

Re: Are they sick?

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Healthy snakes can tilt their heads when they're relaxing, I don't think it means anything, & BPs aren't the fastest moving snakes either. Hard to say if what
    you're seeing is significant or not...neurological issues can be caused from being over-heated or over-exposed to say, Provent-A-Mite (aka PAM), but we aren't
    seeing your snakes to diagnose...sure hope it's only that you're over-thinking this & worrying needlessly. You said you just added a few snakes, but for how
    long have you been keeping snakes before this? I ask because I've been keeping snakes for many years & often can tell that something is off even when a
    vet sees nothing amiss; if you're real observant, you might be right that something is wrong with them, but no way I can tell you for sure...wish I could. This
    isn't so much a symptom of having mites, but mites are thought to be disease vectors (-they can carry & spread diseases). Did all your new snakes come from
    the same source? or different ones? Sure hope they are quarantined from your others & that you are practicing good isolation techniques? Are they eating?
    I've been keep for roughly ten years I've had a few different species. I will try to snap a pick of the head tilt when I see it again and if the angle permits. I witnessed this behavior from both before any PAM was introduced. They are from 2 different locations. It just seemed odd to me that they are the only 2 that do it out of all my snakes. It could be they are relaxing. I'm very observant and spot check/check up constantly. I love every single aspect of the hobby. Either there is an issue or it's because I'm in full worry mode due to the mite issue which I think I'm getting under control pretty quick. They are great eaters and honestly one is 90g and I think she is super shy as opposed to sick. But the boy with the mites is the one I'm worried about. Ill keep a close eye and wait for a fecal sample and probably have it checked out simply for my peace of mind. Thanks for the response.

1.0 banana bee
    0.1 butter pastel
    0.1 pastel
    0.1 mojave het clown
    1.2 DH albino pied
    0.1 OD YB pastel
    1.0 nuclear (butter,fire)
    0.1 lavender albino het pied
    1.1 enchi clown / clown
    0.1 superfly sugar
    1.0 freeway

Thanks
    Thanked 19,740 Times in 11,797 Posts

Re: Are they sick?

Quote Originally Posted by Knowell View Post
    ... I witnessed this behavior from both before any PAM was introduced....
    What I meant was that they may have been inadequately & improperly treated for mites BEFORE you got them...

You seem to be very observant (as am I) & you've been keeping for a while now...I tend to think you may be right that something is wrong with them but I sure
    hope you're just worrying for nothing. Anyway, focus on taking the best care you can, treat for mites, & keep watching...that's about all you can do for now.
    And that's a great sign that they are enthusiastic eaters for you. Here's hoping nothing's wrong. All our pets deserve the very best, but the more money you
    have invested, the greater the worry & paranoia, lol...
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 09-29-2018 at 09:37 PM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Knowell (09-30-2018)