Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,329

1 members and 1,328 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,532
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,195 Times in 2,638 Posts

Re: What are actual acceptable dimensions for a BCI enclosure?

Quote Originally Posted by Direpython View Post
    The reptile basic jumbo hides have been out of stock for atleast 2 weeks since I looked last

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yeah they’re always out of stock on those. There’s a few places selling knock off RBI hides. My jumbo hides are knock offs and not too shabby, though I’ve never had brand name RBI jumbo hides so I can’t say how well they compare to the real deal

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jmcrook View Post
    Yeah they’re always out of stock on those. There’s a few places selling knock off RBI hides. My jumbo hides are knock offs and not too shabby, though I’ve never had brand name RBI jumbo hides so I can’t say how well they compare to the real deal

Could you post a link to the ones you have I can’t ever find anything on amazon that would be big enough

Thanks
    Thanked 7,195 Times in 2,638 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Direpython View Post
    Could you post a link to the ones you have I can’t ever find anything on amazon that would be big enough

http://www.snakemuseum.com/reptile-h...ox-jm-rbi.html

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jmcrook View Post
    That actually won’t work my aquarium is 48x18 the hole is on the wrong side :-(

Thanks
    Thanks for the info. I appreciate all the details, as this is a big decision for me to make.

This is a picture of the enclosure I'm strongly considering buying. It's a good $450, but it includes absolutely everything in the photograph.

I have a BP already that lives in a not-quite-perfect terrarium of mine, so I'm already planning on moving her from it to somewhere more adequate. It would be convenient if I bought my second snake (the BCI) and had both of them in one, compact container.

Basically, I'm just posting this picture to see if it triggers anyone's "yeah, that's not going to cut it" instincts.

Thanks

I don't use hides for adults.
    Last edited by MAC1; 09-30-2018 at 12:23 PM.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MAC1 For This Useful Post:

AbsoluteApril (09-30-2018),KevinK (09-30-2018)

BPnet Senior Member AbsoluteApril's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,605 Times in 1,296 Posts
    Pangea also sells hides, their XL is the same size as Reptile Basics (you can even buy them on amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Pangea-Reptil...8325316&sr=8-1 )
    However I also do not use hides for my adult boas generally. Sometimes I'll get a box (or even large soda box) and give that to them to change things up (and once soiled, just throw it away). I'll also use large diameter poster/shipping tubes to give them something to explore and crawl around and 'hide' in. In the past I've even just thrown in an old bed sheet for them to crawl under and mess with. Most adult boas don't care about hiding.

4x2x12-15 is fine for an adult boa. I keep my largest adult females in 4x2x2 and they do fine. I do let them out for exercise and quality time as well. Of course bigger is always better if you want to and can.
    Last edited by AbsoluteApril; 09-30-2018 at 12:41 PM.
    For the Horde!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,606 Times in 907 Posts

My female is about 7’ and does still like a hide on occasion. I use either a dish pan or new cat litter box and cut a hole in the side. My girl will also get under her water dish (tip-proof dog bowl with the cut out hand holds on the bottom edge). She still thinks she fits, but the entire bowl is about an inch and a half off the floor. As for cage size, I currently have her in a 8’x30”x18” cage that was previously used by my burm. Prior to that she was in a 8’x30”x12” cage, the same as my 7’ adult male boa prior to his passing. I personally wouldn’t put an adult boa in less than a 6’ cage. While they can do well in a 4’x2’ cage, mine definitely uses all of the available space in her cage.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,341 Times in 3,220 Posts
    While i agree, most large boas dont 'need' hides, i generally offer them anyways. I know Rosey my 7' girl uses her cool side one when she is shedding or just sleeping during the day sometimes. Vicky my 6' girls still loves her cool side hide and actually sits on top of it or half inside it regularly. And Caesar the 8' retic LOVES his hide to sleep in lol.
    0.1 Rio Bravo Pokigron Suriname BC-Gina
    1.0 Meltzer/Lincoln Peruvian Longtail het anery BCL-Louie

0.1 Biak Green Tree Python-Pat
    ​1.0 OSHY Biak Green Tree Python-Alex
    0.0.1 Super Reduced Reticulated Gila Monster-Dozer
    0.0.1 Utah Banded Gila Monster-Tank
    0.0.1 Super Black Beaded Lizard-Reggie

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Sauzo For This Useful Post:

Gio (09-30-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,571 Times in 2,984 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by KevinK View Post
    Shoot, there are breeders who will keep adult female BCIs in a 4x2x1......I think a cage that size is more than sufficient for a male.

I know more than one Burm breeder who also keeps their males in a 4x2x1....but that's kind of pushing it in my opinion. Burm is a big animal.
    Breeders have a different reality because they tend to house several animals and need to use space efficiently. While a cage that is 4 x 2 x 1 is something you can do, I think it completely curbs many of the natural behaviors that boa constrictors display. Kev, not a knock on you here, I just want people to realize that following what a breeder does isn't always necessary or in many cases, the best option.

I have my 7 foot male in a 4' x 30" x 20". I wish I went the full 24" tall, but there's that space requirement I mentioned above comparing keepers to breeders. I too have limitations so I did the best I could for the snake and my room.

Although classified as terrestrial, I feel they (boa constrictors) are semi arboreal. There are a great many videos, and wild sightings of boa constrictors high up in the canopy. It is a natural behavior of BCs to climb, and I try to provide that option.

I also provide 2 hides and they are utilized daily.

Each situation is different, and we all have limitations. Do the best you can with your available space and don't put yourself out financially.

I think bigger is better, but I keep only 4 snakes. I enjoy watching the full spectrum of their natural behaviors, so I provide as many options as I can.

This, is what I enjoy seeing every night!

Consider a cage 30" deep is much easier to reach in for maintenance when you have some ceiling space.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast