Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,702

0 members and 2,702 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,078
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RaginBull
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

What are actual acceptable dimensions for a BCI enclosure?

I have been reading up on this a lot, but information on the internet is inconsistent or sometimes incomplete.

Some places say "length plus width should equal the boa's adult size," for instance. Other places say length by itself should equal the boa's size, then about 2 feet of width (or depth). Other places don't even differentiate between males and females, and just give one categorical size for all adult boas.

I'm planning to get a male BCI who is still pretty young, and I may have a very good deal on an enclosure that is something like 4' x 2' x 1.5'. Male boas evidently grow to be something like 4 to 6 feet long (the data on this is also not very consistent), so I'm wondering if this would be sufficient for a comfortable lifetime or if the boa is going to eventually be quite uncomfortable.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,492 Times in 2,686 Posts

Re: What are actual acceptable dimensions for a BCI enclosure?

I believe that a 4x2x1 is a minimum sized enclosure you'll need for a male BCI so your cage should be fine. A 4x2x2, 48x30x18, or 6x2x2 would work very well too.
    Last edited by EL-Ziggy; 09-29-2018 at 05:30 PM.
    3.0 Carpet Pythons, 1.1 Bullsnakes
    1.0 Olive Python 1.0 Scrub Python,
    1.0 BI, 0.1 BCO

3. The Following User Says Thank You to EL-Ziggy For This Useful Post:

AbsoluteApril (09-30-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kinstrome View Post
    I have been reading up on this a lot, but information on the internet is inconsistent or sometimes incomplete.

Some places say "length plus width should equal the boa's adult size," for instance. Other places say length by itself should equal the boa's size, then about 2 feet of width (or depth). Other places don't even differentiate between males and females, and just give one categorical size for all adult boas.

I'm planning to get a male BCI who is still pretty young, and I may have a very good deal on an enclosure that is something like 4' x 2' x 1.5'. Male boas evidently grow to be something like 4 to 6 feet long (the data on this is also not very consistent), so I'm wondering if this would be sufficient for a comfortable lifetime or if the boa is going to eventually be quite uncomfortable.
    I think everything is so inconsistent is because, the common boa or bci isn’t just one locale species they have been bred so much that thier really Isn’t a set in stone size. It all depends on the specific snakes genetics. One snake could max out at 5 but another one could max out at 8 and they both be “bci” I honestly don’t like how it works cause it seems like any snake that isn’t a bc or other species gets lumped into the bci category so it really just depends on the snake you purchase. Do others agree with this? I think the really only common thing that is known across the board. Is they rarely ever get over 10’ but snakes never stop growing their entire life so depending on conditions and feeding and genetics it can happen but it’s rare. So my advice would be prepared for a 10’ snake. But know that it probably will never actually get to that size.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    I haven't kept boas, but 4x2x2 seems small to me for an adult boa, even a male on the smaller side. If you can't go bigger in floor space, you can always at least go bigger in height and put in platforms and other climbing structures to make the best use of the height.

If you aren't sure or aren't ready for now and your boa is still small, go with the cage you can get a deal on now and get something bigger later. If you get the 4x2 for a good price, you probably will be able to sell it for not too much less than you paid.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    My opinion is always going to be bigger the better. Or improvising and doing a 4x2 with a 2x2 attached to it - boaphile makes solid walled pieces that you could use as a hide/nesting site.

I will be doing 6x2x2 for everyone once they get to size, but I want to make sure they don't need bigger.

Also, if you do bare minimums, I feel the snake should be allowed to stretch a little more often outside of the enclosure.
    Too Many...

That's what my wife says

7. The Following User Says Thank You to PiperPython For This Useful Post:

Gio (09-30-2018)

Thanks

Shoot, there are breeders who will keep adult female BCIs in a 4x2x1......I think a cage that size is more than sufficient for a male.

I know more than one Burm breeder who also keeps their males in a 4x2x1....but that's kind of pushing it in my opinion. Burm is a big animal.

Thanks
    That terrestrial cage will be fine.[IMG] [/IMG]

He's 12 years old 7' Hypo BCI his cage size is 48Lx24wx15H

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MAC1 For This Useful Post:

AbsoluteApril (09-30-2018),EL-Ziggy (09-30-2018),fadingdaylight (05-21-2019)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

What are you guys using for hides and water dishes in a 4x2xY for an adult boa?
    Too Many...

That's what my wife says

Thanks
    Thanked 6,341 Times in 3,220 Posts
    I use the jumbo Reptile Basic hides for Caesar who is 8+ feet and also for Rosey who is 7 feet and Vicky who is 6 feet. For water bowls, i just use the dog dishes from Tractor Supply. They are like 5 qts or something.

As for cages, the biggest you can afford and place is what you want to shoot for. You can never go too big. I personally wouldnt go smaller than a 6 foot cage for an adult boa but that is just me. There are many people who have kept adult boas in 4 foot cages.
    Last edited by Sauzo; 09-30-2018 at 01:42 AM.
    0.1 Rio Bravo Pokigron Suriname BC-Gina
    1.0 Meltzer/Lincoln Peruvian Longtail het anery BCL-Louie

0.1 Biak Green Tree Python-Pat
    ​1.0 OSHY Biak Green Tree Python-Alex
    0.0.1 Super Reduced Reticulated Gila Monster-Dozer
    0.0.1 Utah Banded Gila Monster-Tank
    0.0.1 Super Black Beaded Lizard-Reggie

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sauzo View Post
    I use the jumbo Reptile Basic hides for Caesar who is 8+ feet and also for Rosey who is 7 feet and Vicky who is 6 feet. For water bowls, i just use the dog dishes from Tractor Supply. They are like 5 qts or something.

As for cages, the biggest you can afford and place is what you want to shoot for. You can never go too big. I personally wouldnt go smaller than a 6 foot cage for an adult boa but that is just me. There are many people who have kept adult boas in 4 foot cages.
    The reptile basic jumbo hides have been out of stock for atleast 2 weeks since I looked last

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast