Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,320

3 members and 3,317 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,533
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Mite / sickness questions.

Hello everyone! So I have been closely monitoring the enchi clown I recently purchased I noticed that sometimes when I check on him is head is kind of tilted...like he is sick? Then plenty of other times he appears just fine. I can't find anything specific on this behavoir. I haven't been able to snap a pic yet. But imagine him resting his head on his body but slightly tilted. I haven't noticed my other snakes doing this. Am I paranoid?

Question #2. Maybe his issue is directly related to the mites I found on him. I hate receiving a snake with mites I start wondering about the collections I get these snake from smh. Anyway I sprayed PAM with one fast pass over paper towel then let it sit 24 hours and put him on that. I have read plenty of info about it but I guess I need my questions answered directly.

Is one quick pass good enough?

How long before I switch back to regular substrate and should I treat that too?

What minimum recommended drying time?

When your snake is housed on the dry paper towels and he urates how does that not activate the PAM and hurt him?

When receiving new additions can I give a pass over the substrate (reptibark/cocoa fiber mix) let it dry and feel save from infestations?

The snake was in a full rack. If I want to treat my whole collection for piece of mind what is the best way to accomplish the task?

Sorry if my questions seem ignorant.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

1.0 banana bee
    0.1 butter pastel
    0.1 pastel
    0.1 mojave het clown
    1.2 DH albino pied
    0.1 OD YB pastel
    1.0 nuclear (butter,fire)
    0.1 lavender albino het pied
    1.1 enchi clown / clown
    0.1 superfly sugar
    1.0 freeway

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Knowell For This Useful Post:

Ronniex2 (09-29-2018)

BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,909 Times in 840 Posts
    Q1: not quite sure. Obviously monitor it. If the snake starts corkscrewing or stargazing, vet asap! It could just be something he does on his own. Mine spooked me a couple times with a tremble while she eats. Otherwise, fine.

Q2: this is part of why a good quarantine is important!

You are going to have to treat every animal in that room (possibly your whole household) as infested. Any bedding that was exposed (even unused) I would just toss. Start fresh in 3 weeks.

The lifecycle of a mite is about 21 days. Depending on how long you had this snake around the others, you may have moved mites all over on yourself or on items from the rack. Right now you are killing off the adult mites on the snake, but there can be eggs or larva in so many places...they may still cause issues for the next 2-3 weeks.

If you have animals in another room that still seem okay, a shower and fresh change of clothes before working in there is not a bad idea. Mites can be picked up on clothes and dropped in other enclosures.

I would take every animal in that rack and put them on paper towels for mite monitoring. A quick PAM treatment for them wouldn't hurt.
    While you are changing out the bedding, make sure you are wiping down every surface on that rack that you can. Mites can travel pretty far just on thier own.

The snake that you are actively treating should be moved as far as possible to avoid further risk of transferring mites. A weekly mite treatment protocol will help get things under control since the next batch of eggs can hatch anywhere from 1-4 days after being laid.

I've never had to worry about mites myself at home, but I've used bleach and frontline spray to treat for them at my job.
    Maybe some more advice will show up soon on the bedding questions and such.
    Last edited by Armiyana; 09-29-2018 at 05:39 AM.

Thanks

Re: Mite / sickness questions.

That's for responding. I would love to switch the whole rack to paper towel before it becomes a real problem. So should I switch everyone over then pray a bunch of paper towels and after they dry put them into each tub. What is a common dry time for PAM if you spray ad intructed?

1.0 banana bee
    0.1 butter pastel
    0.1 pastel
    0.1 mojave het clown
    1.2 DH albino pied
    0.1 OD YB pastel
    1.1 enchi clown / clown
    0.1 superfly sugar
    1.0 freeway

BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,909 Times in 840 Posts
    I personally haven't used PAM so I wouldn't be able to say exactly. Sorry about that.

Someone should peek in to help out I hope!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Armiyana View Post
    I personally haven't used PAM so I wouldn't be able to say exactly. Sorry about that.

Someone should peek in to help out I hope!
    I hope so I'm waiting patiently.

1.0 banana bee
    0.1 butter pastel
    0.1 pastel
    0.1 mojave het clown
    1.2 DH albino pied
    0.1 OD YB pastel
    1.1 enchi clown / clown
    0.1 superfly sugar
    1.0 freeway

Thanks
    Thanked 19,825 Times in 11,844 Posts
    FYI, I saw this post but have never needed to use PAM either...so I was letting others who have, take your questions.

Don't know if "one quick pass" is good enough...but "drying time" is as long as it takes! (humidity varies from place to place...Florida is humid so it takes longer)

I would NOT switch back to regular substrate UNTIL you are SURE that ALL mites are gone...you won't see them in other substrate until they're so plentiful they
    might kill your snakes. Other abnormalities show up better on white paper towels too...new snakes should be observed for any tinge of blood in stools, etc etc.

Housing your snakes on dry treated paper towels should not be a problem when the snake defecates (urates or stool), assuming there isn't a huge amount of
    liquid...I'd recommend you clean it up (change paper) promptly if there is.

Not sure about using PAM on other substrates...(what does the can directions say? everyone only talks about using paper towels with PAM...)

Sounds like you'll need to treat your whole collection if you didn't quarantine your new snakes (w/ mites) from the others you already had. Big mistake...not fun
    to have to treat entire collection, it's much easier to miss a few & keep getting re-infestations.

Yes, you need to switch the whole rack to treated paper now...good luck!
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 09-29-2018 at 08:58 PM.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Armiyana (09-30-2018),Knowell (09-29-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    FYI, I saw this post but have never needed to use PAM either...so I was letting others who have, take your questions.

Don't know if "one quick pass" is good enough...but "drying time" is as long as it takes! (humidity varies from place to place...Florida is humid so it takes longer)

I would NOT switch back to regular substrate UNTIL you are SURE that ALL mites are gone...you won't see them in other substrate until they're so plentiful they
    might kill your snakes. Other abnormalities show up better on white paper towels too...new snakes should be observed for any tinge of blood in stools, etc etc.

Housing your snakes on dry treated paper towels should not be a problem when the snake defecates (urates or stool), assuming there isn't a huge amount of
    liquid...I'd recommend you clean it up (change paper) promptly if there is.

Not sure about using PAM on other substrates...(what does the can directions say? everyone only talks about using paper towels with PAM...)

Sounds like you'll need to treat your whole collection if you didn't quarantine your new snakes (w/ mites) from the others you already had. Big mistake...not fun
    to have to treat entire collection, it's much easier to miss a few & keep getting re-infestations.

Yes, you need to switch the whole rack to treated paper now...good luck!

I'm currently in the process of treating the entire collection. Everyone is on paper towels now. I agree it's much easier to see things going on. I'm going to receive new snakes directly into quarantine tubs (that I already had sadly enough) with PAM paper towels as a future safety measure. The reason they were all together is because most were received within 60 days. I'm thinking I should spread the purchases out a little more. The enchi clown I received appears to be infested. It breaks my heart but he is in good hands now. I completely agree also with drying time being as long as it takes. But the reason I asked because its very hard to tell. Nothing actually looks wet when you spray this stuff. It's not like a standard reptile spray. I can sense vapors for a very short time but its scary. I'm scared to death of hurting one of my babies, I guess I will stick to 12-24 dry time. Thanks for your response Boger.

1.0 banana bee
    0.1 butter pastel
    0.1 pastel
    0.1 mojave het clown
    1.2 DH albino pied
    0.1 OD YB pastel
    1.1 enchi clown / clown
    0.1 superfly sugar
    1.0 freeway

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Knowell For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (09-29-2018),MissterDog (09-29-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,825 Times in 11,844 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Knowell View Post
    ...I completely agree also with drying time being as long as it takes. But the reason I asked because its very hard to tell. Nothing actually looks wet when you spray this stuff. It's not like a standard reptile spray. I can sense vapors for a very short time but its scary. I'm scared to death of hurting one of my babies, I guess I will stick to 12-24 dry time....
    I get you now, as I said, I've not had to use PAM & didn't realize the spray didn't appear to wet the towels much...like you, I'm extremely cautious about using such
    chemicals around my snakes (or for that matter, around me or my dogs), but sometimes it's the only option. Trust your judgement in this...I'd probably do 12 hours
    or more too, though if you're in a hurry, you could "blow-dry" them with a hair dryer?
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 09-29-2018 at 09:43 PM.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Knowell (09-29-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,028 Times in 904 Posts
    I prefer to play it safe too and wait for at least a full 24 hours for it to dry. 48 hours before putting water bowls back in.
    Last edited by MissterDog; 09-29-2018 at 10:01 PM.
    1.0 Ball Python (Mystic Potion) Tapioca
    0.1 Northern Pine Snake - Impa
    0.1 Russian Rat Snake (Melanistic) Kallari (RIP)

14. The Following User Says Thank You to MissterDog For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (09-29-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MissterDog View Post
    I prefer to play it safe too and wait for at least a full 24 hours for it to dry. 48 hours before putting water bowls back in.
    For the hides/bowls I used the reptile spray. I've only put PAM on the paper towels. So you use it on the whole enchilada huh?

1.0 banana bee
    0.1 butter pastel
    0.1 pastel
    0.1 mojave het clown
    1.2 DH albino pied
    0.1 OD YB pastel
    1.1 enchi clown / clown
    0.1 superfly sugar
    1.0 freeway