Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 511

0 members and 511 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Ziggy31984 (40)

» Stats

Members: 75,014
Threads: 248,474
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, DetectiveIcarus
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,135 Times in 1,197 Posts

Good information?

http://www.anapsid.org/balsai.html?i...000&height=400

What are your thoughts on this article?

Thanks

Re: Good information?

First, the article is four years old (or, at least that's the last time the website was updated). Research findings can change by leaps and bounds in that time frame. If I were a newbie considering a Savannah, I would probably be looking for more updated material. Any research article over a year old, in IMHO, should be taken with a grain of salt and compared with newer material.

Second, the article isn't really condemning or preaching a practice either way. I appreciate the fact that both parties are willing to be open in their thinking and consider all sides of the matter and the multitude of variables involved. For instance, obesity being a factor of forced containment in captivity rather than diet. I think the article is more encouraging the reader to ask their own questions rather than forcing information down their throats.

Third, Melissa Kaplan was a researcher first and wrote the book on Iguanas (literally, see "Iguanas for Dummies"). When she was in the hobby, she was one of the best: http://www.anapsid.org/aboutmk/melissa3.html

3. The Following User Says Thank You to ladywhipple02 For This Useful Post:

AbsoluteApril (09-27-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,135 Times in 1,197 Posts

Re: Good information?

Quote Originally Posted by ladywhipple02 View Post
    First, the article is four years old (or, at least that's the last time the website was updated). Research findings can change by leaps and bounds in that time frame. If I were a newbie considering a Savannah, I would probably be looking for more updated material. Any research article over a year old, in IMHO, should be taken with a grain of salt and compared with newer material.

Second, the article isn't really condemning or preaching a practice either way. I appreciate the fact that both parties are willing to be open in their thinking and consider all sides of the matter and the multitude of variables involved. For instance, obesity being a factor of forced containment in captivity rather than diet. I think the article is more encouraging the reader to ask their own questions rather than forcing information down their throats.

Third, Melissa Kaplan was a researcher first and wrote the book on Iguanas (literally, see "Iguanas for Dummies"). When she was in the hobby, she was one of the best: http://www.anapsid.org/aboutmk/melissa3.html
    Thanks. Was not really looking for a savannah just have one in my care for a few weeks. I hope she goes home once her owner returns from California with family issues. Just trying to be a better keeper while she is in my care. She is eating fuzzies and roaches but that is the only thing that she has interest in. I also noticed some kind of beetles in her enclosure last night. Big the size of a quarter. Did not get a photo before she chomped on them and they were gone.