Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,084

2 members and 3,082 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
    Thanks

Hognose bleeding from mouth?

So I know no one can diagnose her online and I will definitely go to the vet if necessary, but for now I’d just like to know if anyone has had similar experiences/heard of similar experiences, and what the signs of infection are.

I haven’t fed her in 6 days so I know it can’t be blood from a mouse. It’s not as bad as it sounds although I’m still super worried. Basically, I found a very small speck of blood near her mouth. I thought it was a cut but I wiped it with a q-tip and it was just dried blood. No blood anywhere else so I can only assume it came from her mouth, but I don’t feel comfortable risking injuring her by opening her mouth when I have no experience doing so. Also it wasn’t there yesterday.

There isn't anything sharp in her enclosure and even if there was, I don’t see how it could have cut the inside of her mouth. Either way only thing I can think of is a cut of some sort in her mouth, maybe caused by a tooth? Or somehow getting a piece of aspen caught in her mouth? I haven’t seen any more blood and it was just that super small spot.

So it’d be nice to hear if something similar has happened to anyone else, and what ended up being the cause. Also what things to watch out for to determine if I should take her to the vet, or if I should take her right now?

- - - Updated - - -

Also if it helps, she isn’t a baby, she’s about full grown and hasn’t had any other health problems.

Thanks
    Could it be from her prey? Hognose have fangs, so their prey can bleed a bit when they eat. If it was dry blood it could have been from 6 days ago. Also, my hoggie went through a period where he refused to eat for almost a year when he was young and needed a few assist feedings. When assist fed, I discovered the unsettling fact that when stressed, hoggies can bleed from the mouth. Anything really stressful happen to her?
    Last edited by Alter-Echo; 09-26-2018 at 08:48 AM.

Thanks
    The blood definitely wasn’t there before so I know it can’t be that.

And nothing stressful has happened that I know of. I did move her to a new enclosure a few weeks ago but she has adjusted fine.

Thanks
    I managed to look into her mouth while she was eating and I can’t see any wounds or blood. I’ll still keep an eye on her to see if she needs to go to the vet or not.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to widget For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (10-02-2018)