Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,597

0 members and 2,597 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,018 Times in 1,743 Posts
    Whatever number of snakes with the individual snakes that make you happy and your life stress-free imo!

Everyone's number is different. I don't think I personally want to go above 8-9 total, and I never have gone above 9-10 at one time even though I've owned, I think 13 in total at different times. I want to devote my other monthly spending and time to my dog, other hobbies that make me happy, and for work.

I'm sure for some people, having a couple snakes with pleasant personalities is the most rewarding. Maybe the snakes are high-maintenance or grow large. Some people would rather collect a larger number of color morphs of the same species, but smaller and lower maintenance, and find that rewarding. I've found so far that I'd like to keep a variety of species and experience their interesting and/or personable temperament and intelligence, and that's most rewarding to me. It's all on you!
    Last edited by redshepherd; 09-26-2018 at 06:09 AM.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to redshepherd For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (09-26-2018),C.Marie (09-26-2018),dakski (09-26-2018),MissterDog (09-26-2018)

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    I'll try to keep my two cents short and sweet:

Go for it. Hognose are fantastic little snakes. He would make an awesome little addition to your office. If he's already got 10+ meals in him, F/T unscented, he falls into the well-established category. Plus he's already handling well by the sounds of things.

In all seriousness, Dave, I have the utmost respect and admiration for you. I would be willing to bet your animals are some of the best cared for on the forum, or anywhere for that matter. You (with Katie's feelings considered) are the only one who knows your limit. But hognose are really easy (in my experience with Cosmo anyway), take up little space, require tiny meals (very little cost or freezer space) and are just plain cool little snakes unlike any other species I know. And come on, those faces are just too cute!! Don't even get me started on how cute they are when acting "tough" and hooding and hissing, hahahaha!!

I honestly don't feel like adding a hognose will push you over the edge. But I do think it may "scratch the itch".

As long as you and Katie are in agreement, I say go for it!! I think you'll both really enjoy that fun little personality that only a hognose has.
    Last edited by Craiga 01453; 09-26-2018 at 08:09 AM.

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (09-26-2018),C.Marie (09-26-2018),dakski (09-26-2018),EL-Ziggy (09-26-2018),the_rotten1 (09-27-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,135 Times in 1,197 Posts

Re: When is enough, enough? One more addition?

Just stopping by. I don't have an addiction. I had snakes when younger and got out of the hobby for many years. Last year I started with 1 BP. Soon I had 2. Then 3. Well now I have 2 BPs, 1 corn, 1 king, 1 RTB, 3 retics if you count Aurora who I am still making payments on (not addicted at all, ) and for the time being a Savannah Monitor. If you add the 2 dogs that makes 11 animals in total. All housed and fed really well. I think I am at my limit. Sure it is hard to see hog noses and carpets and GTPs and bloods and and and and and and..... and not say "I think just 1 more will be ok?" But considering I AM NOT ADDICTED I will stop and let some of my animals grow up and enjoy them for a few years. Oh and don't forget Tegus.... those guys are awesome. But I AM NOT ADDICTED.

Oh who am I kidding. LOL.

So what name you have picked out for your new pet?

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Skyrivers For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (09-26-2018),C.Marie (09-26-2018),EL-Ziggy (09-26-2018)

Thanks
    As Nike said... just do it.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Alter-Echo For This Useful Post:

C.Marie (09-26-2018)

BPnet Senior Member CALM Pythons's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,442 Times in 1,365 Posts

There is a limit. I have a problem with all kinds of time consuming things. Cleaning my vehicles, equiptment and Snake enclosures, Rats etc..it causes “Looks” from my Kids and Wife. The thing about Life is we are suppose to have balance... I have some problems with that myself hahahaha. I think you know the correct answer or you wouldn’t question this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Name: Christian
    0.1 Albino Ball (Sophie)
    0.1 Russo White Diamond (Grace)
    1.0 Hypo Burmese (Giacomo/AKA Jock)
    1.2 Razors Edge/Gotti & American Pit Bull
    ----------
    1.1 Albino/Normal Burmese (Mr & Mrs Snake)
    1.0 Albino Ball (Sully)

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CALM Pythons For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (09-26-2018),C.Marie (09-26-2018),Godzilla78 (09-27-2018)

BPnet Veteran BallPythonWannaBe's Avatar
    Thanks

I think you can have as many as you can fully care for. When it becomes a job and not a hobby you probably have too many. If you can take care of the hoggy and still feel stress free I say go for it!
    "It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live"
    -J.K Rowling Sorcerer's Stone
    Long time no see, back at it again in my white vans.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BallPythonWannaBe For This Useful Post:

C.Marie (09-26-2018),Craiga 01453 (09-26-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,897 Times in 2,992 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BallPythonWannaBe View Post
    I think you can have as many as you can fully care for. When it becomes a job and not a hobby you probably have too many. If you can take care of the hoggy and still feel stress free I say go for it!
    So true ..

I got up to 24 snakes ... Kings / Royals : Burms / Boas / Retic etc and it was just starting to get tooooo much ..

I'm down to 14 now and I'm enjoying them so much more ..

I will try hand get down to 8 or 9 eventually and start handling a few again

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Zincubus For This Useful Post:

BallPythonWannaBe (09-26-2018),C.Marie (09-26-2018),dakski (09-26-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,602 Times in 3,139 Posts
    Just to touch on something totally different here.

I came real close to getting a Hognose myself. However I decided not to because I have an autoimmune disorder. I break out in giant hives. Sometimes my lips and tongue swell up. If it gets worse my airway will close. I’ve been to way too many doctors to find out why. They can’t figure it out. At one time I was taking 13 medications a day just to control it.

Even though Hognose bites seem to be uncommon, they are considered mildly rear fanged/mouth venomous. Some people get a little redness, some have painful swelling. I’m not willing to chance it since something is off with my immune system.

I bring all of this up because I remember you saying things about your kidney surgery and medication compromising your immune system?

Also, I don’t know if the Venom stays local or goes through the bloodstream to your kidney which may or may not be involved in metabolizing or be affected by the venom?

I’m not a doctor, just thinking out loud and giving you points to ponder and look into.

Best
    Last edited by Reinz; 09-26-2018 at 04:57 PM. Reason: Add
    The one thing I found that you can count on about Balls is that they are consistent about their inconsistentcy.

1.2 Coastal Carpet Pythons
    Mack The Knife, 2013
    Lizzy, 2010
    Etta, 2013
    1.1 Jungle Carpet Pythons
    Esmarelda , 2014
    Sundance, 2012
    2.0 Common BI Boas, Punch, 2005; Butch, age?
    0.1 Normal Ball Python, Elvira, 2001
    0.1 Olive (Aussie) Python, Olivia, 2017

Please excuse the spelling in my posts. Auto-Correct is my worst enema.

16. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Reinz For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (09-26-2018),C.Marie (09-26-2018),Craiga 01453 (09-26-2018),dakski (09-26-2018),EL-Ziggy (09-26-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,791 Times in 11,826 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Reinz View Post

I came real close to getting a Hognose myself. However I decided not to because I have an autoimmune disorder. I break out in giant hives. Sometimes my lips and tongue swell up. If it gets worse my airway will close. I’ve been to way too many doctors to find out why. They can’t figure it out. At one time I was taking 13 medications a day just to control it.

Even though Hognose bites seem to be uncommon, they are considered mildly rear fanged/mouth venomous. Some people get a little redness, some have painful swelling. I’m not willing to chance it since something is off with my immune system.

I bring all of this up because I remember you saying things about your kidney surgery and medication compromising your immune system?

Also, I don’t know if the Venom stays local or goes through the bloodstream to your kidney which may or may not be involved in metabolizing or be affected by the venom?

I’m not a doctor, just thinking out loud and giving you points to ponder and look into.

Best
    THAT is the BEST reason yet to re-consider adding a hognose snake to the family, way to go Reinz for catching that.

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

C.Marie (09-26-2018),Craiga 01453 (09-26-2018),dakski (09-26-2018),Reinz (09-27-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Reinz View Post

Best

Great points everyone.

Still unsure what I am going to do, but I wanted to say how much I greatly appreciate everyone's feedback.

I also appreciate those who recognize that I want to, and do my best to, create a great environment/home for all my animals. Craig - Special shout out to you brother. Much respect.

I tend to agree with the idea that a hognose will not push me over the limit and cause me to be burdened by the hobby. I think it's manageable, but also agree, I am getting towards the point of diminishing returns. I don't think I can realistically add much more, or any more, than him right now (if I decide to go that way).

I also wanted to address the issue above that Reinz brought up about the venom.

I am immune suppressed. This keeps my body from rejecting the donated kidney.

What that generally means is that I have weaker responses to allergens, etc. In other words, after transplant, my hay fever went away, as did 99% of my other seasonal allergies. I do not have enough of an immune system to cause an allergic reaction.

I've also heard that if you are allergic to bee stings, etc. that you can have a stronger response to a hognose bite, should that happen (I understand it's very rare unless hand feeding).

I have no idea how that all plays into this. The doctors have repeatedly told me not to keep any reptiles, or clean up after my dogs, etc. They don't understand and cannot quantify the risk, so they just say NO! I've been keeping reptiles for years, and for 6 1/2 years since my kidney transplant. I have yet to get sick from one of my reptiles. My point here is that they will have zero idea what to say about a hognose bite.

This article explains the venom/toxic saliva from a hognose and also says no one has ever died from a hognose bite: https://www.timsreptiles.co.za/colub...nakes-venomous

For what's it's worth, one of my favorite books as a kid was Charolette's Web. The livestock pig in the story is named, "Wilbur." So, if I get this little HOGnose, his name will be Wilbur.
    Last edited by dakski; 09-26-2018 at 05:48 PM.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (09-26-2018),Craiga 01453 (09-26-2018)

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast