Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,952

0 members and 1,952 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,071
Threads: 248,522
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
    BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,897 Times in 835 Posts

DIY flexwatt! Question on placements.

Working on building a rack for my reptiles and the only variable right now is how I'm going to be using the heat tape~
    I've used zoo-med heat wire in the past and UTH pads as well. This will be my first adventure in the use of flexwatt!

Of course, I will be using a thermostat. My current plan is the following:

-5x Freedom breeder 40 tubs on a custom built shelf unit.
    -3" x 10" strip of Flexwatt taped onto the shelf.
    -A 8"x12" metal panel tightened over the tape to prevent any scuffing and damage from the tub and to radiate heat a small bit
    -a small channel cut into the center shelf just under the heat tape to place the probe and regulate the temps

I've seen a couple professional racks that use the metal panel for protection and that was where this idea came from, I just wanted to run this by the DIY forums to make sure this is getting planned out properly.

My thinking is that I won't need the flexwatt to run higher than 92 degrees to properly warm the back 4th of the tub this way, so it shouldn't heat up under the metal panel too much.
    But my anxiety keeps trying to remind me of the sticky feet UTH pads come with and has me second guessing the panel over the flexwatt.

Also, the connector bits will be properly insulated and wired so they will not be under the metal panel. Electric shock stovetop is not the plan at all, I just want to avoid possible firehazards from the tape getting scuffed over time.

Thanks for the time reading this post and any advice is welcome!

BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,897 Times in 835 Posts
    Totally forgot to mention a foam sheet for insulation between the metal sheet and the heat tape. Cause again, wanting to avoid a zappy hot plate.

Though the logistics of making sure this works has me doubting it and going to try raising the tubs slightly on runners instead