Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,918

6 members and 2,912 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,087
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,135 Times in 1,197 Posts

Re: Firefighters told not to enter???

Quote Originally Posted by KevinK View Post
    I wonder what their policy is about entering a residence with barking dogs then however?

Frankly I find a burning building to be far more terrifying than an alligator, but I'm probably in the minority of the general public on that one (maybe not here though lol).
    The police would not enter my home when a guy broke in and Zelda my great dane was guarding the house and blocked the crook in the bathroom till I got home and got her. I am happy they waited. She might have guarded the house from the police. LOL. Good girl! I was armed myself as we all entered the house. They looked at me funny walking up with a 45 in hand but I have my permit with me always. She started wagging her tail when she saw me and got her out we they went in. Took his but off to jail and locked him up.

I am sure a fire would have been a different story. Real question is would they have gotten my snakes out?
    Last edited by Skyrivers; 09-21-2018 at 10:48 AM.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Skyrivers For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (09-21-2018),Craiga 01453 (09-21-2018)

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts

I wonder what their policy is about entering a residence with barking dogs then however?

Frankly I find a burning building to be far more terrifying than an alligator, but I'm probably in the minority of the general public on that one (maybe not here though lol).

Years ago I had the cops show up at my house for a noise complaint. They made us lock my roommate's boxer in the bedroom before they would speak with us.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (09-21-2018),KevinK (09-21-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Skyrivers View Post
    The police would not enter my home when a guy broke in and Zelda my great dane was guarding the house and blocked the crook in the bathroom till I got home and got her. I am happy they waited. She might have guarded the house from the police. LOL. Good girl! I was armed myself as we all entered the house. They looked at me funny walking up with a 45 in hand but I have my permit with me always. She started wagging her tail when she saw me and got her out we they went in. Took his but off to jail and locked him up.

I am sure a fire would have been a different story. Real question is would they have gotten my snakes out?
    I'm actually trained as a L.E.O. .......I just know that CC permit or not, you would not be met with just a funny look with a .45 in hand when officers arrive on scene in my respective state and I'm in an extremely firearm friendly area. I think you had some pretty relaxed cops to say the least.

Cool story though.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KevinK For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (09-21-2018),Sonny1318 (09-21-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by craigafrechette View Post
    Years ago I had the cops show up at my house for a noise complaint. They made us lock my roommate's boxer in the bedroom before they would speak with us.
    I know cops always secure potentially angry dogs but I was just curious from the standpoint of being in France and all, I didn't know if it was law to avoid such households and whatnot. Some countries have animal welfare laws that require rescues when possible in the scenario of a fire or other disaster actually....or so I've been told lol.
    Last edited by KevinK; 09-21-2018 at 11:06 AM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to KevinK For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (09-21-2018)

Thanks

I'm actually trained as a L.E.O. .......I just know that CC permit or not, you would not be met with just a funny look with a .45 in hand when officers arrive on scene in my respective state and I'm in an extremely firearm friendly area. I think you had some pretty relaxed cops to say the least.

Cool story though.
    The one cop is my neighbor who we have drinks some weekends along with half the rest of the neighborhood. We are close community. The crook was a transient. Both the officers knew me and knew I carried.

Thanks
    Thanked 19,822 Times in 11,841 Posts
    Face it, WAY more first-responders (police, fire, etc) are more comfortable with dogs than reptiles, especially where there's KNOWN to be venomous snakes+.

Glad I never had any emergency issues when I lived in the desert: everyone knew what I did & I had signs on entry doors "Rattlesnake on duty" but also
    had 4 big dogs (2 Dobies & 2 shep. mixes) to contend with, & I can't tell you how many news stories I've seen from THIS country where police have shot a dog
    that merely barked at them & was unrestrained when they went to arrest the owner or someone else that lived in the house. I don't blame them for not
    wanting to be attacked or killed in the line of duty, but there HAS to be a better way than being trigger-happy...most anyone's PET dog will bark to protect
    their house & owner & should never be killed for that. I DO think that in the event of a fire, you cannot really expect fire fighters to run in & rescue venomous
    snakes though. I suspect that owner already has agreed to that...but it's more dramatic to end the story the way they did.

Cool article, Craig...looks like an interesting guy to visit, eh?

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think there is more to it, my guess is that they would be under order not to enter until someone gives them the ok, in this case it would be to make sure that all animals that could injure EMT or fire fighters are properly secured and not rooming around (like the alligators in the living room for example)

In France the safety of paramedics and such is important, on an active shooting scene for example they will have to stand being a perimeter until the scene is clear. They need to stay safe and not become a victim themselves. That does not mean they will all obey that order.
    Deborah Stewart

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (09-21-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Face it, WAY more first-responders (police, fire, etc) are more comfortable with dogs than reptiles, especially where there's KNOWN to be venomous snakes+.

Glad I never had any emergency issues when I lived in the desert: everyone knew what I did & I had signs on entry doors "Rattlesnake on duty" but also
    had 4 big dogs (2 Dobies & 2 shep. mixes) to contend with, & I can't tell you how many news stories I've seen from THIS country where police have shot a dog
    that merely barked at them & was unrestrained when they went to arrest the owner or someone else that lived in the house. I don't blame them for not
    wanting to be attacked or killed in the line of duty, but there HAS to be a better way than being trigger-happy...most anyone's PET dog will bark to protect
    their house & owner & should never be killed for that. I DO think that in the event of a fire, you cannot really expect fire fighters to run in & rescue venomous
    snakes though. I suspect that owner already has agreed to that...but it's more dramatic to end the story the way they did.

Cool article, Craig...looks like an interesting guy to visit, eh?

I have been thinking about posting a sign on the door listing the animals present for first responders. Think that would be helpful?

Thanks
    Thanked 19,822 Times in 11,841 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Skyrivers View Post
    I have been thinking about posting a sign on the door listing the animals present for first responders. Think that would be helpful?
    Many people have & use such signs for dogs & cats, but for herps it will probably help you get burglarized...

The only way I'd do that is on an INSIDE door into snake-room...but that would never work for me, my snakes are always throughout
    my residence, even when I kept rattlebrats.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 09-21-2018 at 11:31 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Many people have & use such signs for dogs & cats, but for herps it will probably help you get burglarized...

The only way I'd do that is on an INSIDE door into snake-room...but that would never work for me, my snakes are always throughout
    my residence, even when I kept rattlebrats.
    I think Zelda would be a good deterrent there. Also the PD is 2 blocks away and the entire community keep an eye out. I am lucky there.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast