Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,882

1 members and 2,881 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Thanks

Ball Python Quirks? (For Fun)

I know every animal has their own little personalities, I have owned a lot of them. But my Ball Python had me so worried for a while I was doing things wrong, until I learned that's just how he is. So I'm curious was little quirks or silly things your babies do.
    Loki is my three year old male Pastel Super Stripe. 1. He practically lives on his cool side, no matter what temp I put the warm on. (everything is ideal) 2. He also loves to splash his water everywhere, or just knock his bowl over entirely. 3. I learned recently he'll soak for about two months before he goes into shed. (again, humidity ideal) and 4. He will sometimes push his hides around!
    I have come to the conclusion I have a "drama queen" who loves attention and hates my decorating.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mischiefneko For This Useful Post:

Bigkrash (01-17-2019),Ditto (09-21-2018)

Thanks

Re: Ball Python Quirks? (For Fun)

I have one that lives on his cool side also. He will cruise through his hide on the warm side and then go get back in his hide on the cool side. Hides are identical but he likes it cooler I guess. My other one, she will venture out only when she’s hungry, she will go to the middle of the tank and set there for hours staring. Once you feed her she is back in the cave. She had her first shed this morning so she has that new snake look again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    If I know I'm going Crazy,I must not be Insane!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Mb80 For This Useful Post:

mischiefneko (09-22-2018)

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    Oh yeah, they have their little quirks, and personalities.

My boy Tyson has one that I laugh at all the time. Last winter I added a second water bowl to boost humidity. It's a simple square, plastic dog bowl that's hollowed out underneath. You can get them at Wal-Mart for about a dollar. Well, I placed it on top of his RBI hide, thinking it would basically be ignored but help with humidity. Nope! Tyson likes to "hide" under it, though he doesn't even almost fit. He ends up lifting the hide up, so that at least half of his body is exposed, but his head is usually hidden (unless he's getting hungry) so he thinks he's hiding. Often times his body is draped over the side of the RBI hide basically falling off. It's too funny. I've tried to snap photos, but the glass always creates a glare and crappy pics.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

Dianne (01-16-2019),mischiefneko (09-22-2018)

Thanks
    I always get home late from work (2am+) and check the rack. So falling into habit I'll find some cruising their tubs. My killer bee fire is always doing her weirdo dances. She's derpy as hell with the wobble but its cute to see her all excited. I'll check her tub, replace any soiled paper and rinse her hide and she's back in relaxing.
    My lesser male moves his hide around constantly. Sometimes I find it over the water bowl. Its like they're waiting for me to get home to interact with them, then they're back in the hide satisfied.
    **LU BALLZ** (IG. @lu_ballz)

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sirus Uno For This Useful Post:

Cinnamon Peroxide (11-03-2018),Michelle-07 (10-11-2018),mischiefneko (09-22-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,018 Times in 1,743 Posts
    They for sure all have personalities!

My albino male strictly eats once a month and no more. If I even try to offer after 2-3 weeks after his last meal, he will refuse 100% of the time.

My BEL is the most chill snake to possibly ever exist- he doesn't seem to comprehend fear or danger, and doesn't experience nervousness. I'm pretty sure 30 children could be man-handling him and a bomb could go off 10 feet away and he wouldn't even notice. He also definitely would have been taken out by natural selection years ago if he was born in the wild. LOL

My sterling is exceedingly wary, and she tends to writhe in fear during handling.

They all push their hides and bowls and decor around during night time exploring- that's just a general snake thing. My BEL seems to be the most active at night.
    Last edited by redshepherd; 09-22-2018 at 01:33 AM.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to redshepherd For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (09-22-2018),mischiefneko (09-22-2018),MissterDog (10-11-2018),Sonny1318 (10-10-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sirus Uno View Post
    I always get home late from work (2am+) and check the rack. So falling into habit I'll find some cruising their tubs. My killer bee fire is always doing her weirdo dances. She's derpy as hell with the wobble but its cute to see her all excited. I'll check her tub, replace any soiled paper and rinse her hide and she's back in relaxing.
    My lesser male moves his hide around constantly. Sometimes I find it over the water bowl. Its like they're waiting for me to get home to interact with them, then they're back in the hide satisfied.
    I get home about midnight and sometimes Loki will be out and about. I know he wants to be held when he is nudging the top of his tank. If I open it, he'll curl around my wrist and slither up my arm.
    I like the wobble, I think it's cute.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mb80 View Post
    I have one that lives on his cool side also. He will cruise through his hide on the warm side and then go get back in his hide on the cool side. Hides are identical but he likes it cooler I guess. My other one, she will venture out only when she’s hungry, she will go to the middle of the tank and set there for hours staring. Once you feed her she is back in the cave. She had her first shed this morning so she has that new snake look again.
    Yea, that living on the cool side thing scared me so bad when I first got him! Even after eating he'll stay on his cool side. SOMETIMES He'll hang out in his warm for a couple hours, then right back to the cool.

ALSO TO ADD. Loki refuses proper sized hides. I realized after I brought him home his hides were too small. But he'll curl up in them, some sticking out. And apparently that's fine! I got him some good sized ones, where he'd actually fit, and he'd rather sit in the open and stare at me. Once I put the smaller ones back, he curled up in them. Like, why do you feel safer with some of your body hanging out?
    Last edited by mischiefneko; 09-22-2018 at 02:08 AM.

Thanks
    Aww come on guys! I wanna know more silly things your repti-babies do!

Thanks
    Ehh well, My own Regina has the cool hide hang out thing, she is also the chillest thing around I have a 7 year old sister who just adores her while also having a 80lb black lab roaming looking for anything that is smaller than him to play with(he chills out with house pets after awhile) But even with all this she just sits there and slithers around your arm at least on everyone else, I swear this one has me marked, because she become the worlds first living "Bracelet." On me EVERY time I handle her.

Now as for the albino I got he lives in his hot side :\ and is a decent bit nervous(He actually struck me but, I was secretly a ninja. May have also had a super shield known as a poop scoop!)he hangs at with his head and neck outside his hide 24/7 and just stares outside the front glass with what I swear is a judgmental look every time then again..That is just his face xD
    Last edited by VereMyth; 09-27-2018 at 03:09 AM.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to VereMyth For This Useful Post:

mischiefneko (09-27-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mischiefneko View Post
    ...Loki refuses proper sized hides. I realized after I brought him home his hides were too small. But he'll curl up in them, some sticking out. And apparently that's fine! I got him some good sized ones, where he'd actually fit, and he'd rather sit in the open and stare at me. Once I put the smaller ones back, he curled up in them.
    Looks like Loki and Pylox are clutchmates
    Pylox doesn't usually use his halflog that I give him, which is understandable, but when I tried giving her a bigger hidebox (pronounced: coconut shell) and even coaxed her by putting her head in the hidebox opening, she wouldn't get in and just go back to her undersized hide (again, shell).
    She also tells me when he's recently pooped by basically crawling all over the tank and getting everywhere, except within a 20-cm radius of her "gifts".
    Pylox also likes to drink apparently, which is always cute to watch. Every time I refill her waterbowl, no matter what, she'll come over and drink about half of it

Sent from my vivo 1601 using Tapatalk

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tonald Drump For This Useful Post:

mischiefneko (09-28-2018),ryknoll3 (10-14-2018)

Thanks
    I want more silly stories guys! Don't let this thread die....

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast