Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,833

1 members and 2,832 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,341 Times in 3,220 Posts

Question for you electricians

So I'm thinking of picking up a generator and from what i understand, they are not good to run electronics on as they are a 'dirty' source of power. I would be using it to run my 2 Herpstat 6, my small chest freezer, TV and a light if the power goes out in winter. So any thoughts on that and/or any recommendations on a good small generator.
    0.1 Rio Bravo Pokigron Suriname BC-Gina
    1.0 Meltzer/Lincoln Peruvian Longtail het anery BCL-Louie

0.1 Biak Green Tree Python-Pat
    ​1.0 OSHY Biak Green Tree Python-Alex
    0.0.1 Super Reduced Reticulated Gila Monster-Dozer
    0.0.1 Utah Banded Gila Monster-Tank
    0.0.1 Super Black Beaded Lizard-Reggie

Thanks
    Thanked 2,135 Times in 1,197 Posts

Re: Question for you electricians

If the one you are getting is not reliable get a line isolation transformer to plug your heat onto and that plugged into the generator.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sauzo View Post
    So I'm thinking of picking up a generator and from what i understand, they are not good to run electronics on as they are a 'dirty' source of power. I would be using it to run my 2 Herpstat 6, my small chest freezer, TV and a light if the power goes out in winter. So any thoughts on that and/or any recommendations on a good small generator.
    Sent from my N9560 using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 6,341 Times in 3,220 Posts
    Well I would probably get a Honda one.
    0.1 Rio Bravo Pokigron Suriname BC-Gina
    1.0 Meltzer/Lincoln Peruvian Longtail het anery BCL-Louie

0.1 Biak Green Tree Python-Pat
    ​1.0 OSHY Biak Green Tree Python-Alex
    0.0.1 Super Reduced Reticulated Gila Monster-Dozer
    0.0.1 Utah Banded Gila Monster-Tank
    0.0.1 Super Black Beaded Lizard-Reggie

Thanks
    Honda makes generators?Make sure you can run a small space heater and charge your phone no raisen your snakes should be the only ones nice and toasty
    Last edited by C.Marie; 09-21-2018 at 01:32 AM.
    Domestic Short Hair - Miss Becky
    Russian Blue - Church
    Miniature Poodle - Pierre LaPoodlePants
    Banana BP - Yuri Katsuki

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Honda, as you mentioned, make good generators and they sip gas. Generac is also a great line and one of my coworkers has a Champion (they actually have a warehouse near me and he got it discounted there).

I have a 15kW Generac generator I plug into my panel and back-feed the entire house. I also feel obligated to have the neighbor run an extension cord to his place as the thing runs pretty loud and it's outside his bedroom window. I do not have any line conditioners but I do have a ground rod 4' into the earth I clamp it to.

I kinda wish it was a natural gas automatic generator but the price tag was just too high.
    Ball Python
    0.1 Lesser (Lucille) local pet store
    Boas
    0.1 Caulkers Cay (CC) from TJ Blevins (Second City Constrictors)
    1.0 Sunglow het moonglow (Sonny) from Dustin Dirnberger
    1.0 BCI - DH Sharp Snow (Bob) from TJ Blevins (Second City Constrictors)
    1.0 Brazillian Rainbow Boa (Babylon) from Ike Lightener (Ike's Exotics & Aquatics)
    Pythons
    0.0.1 Unknown/undocumented rescue (Roger)
    Northern White Lip (Solo)
    Cats

1.1 Domestic short hair (Esther and James)
    Snake Wishlist
    Drymarchon Malanurus (Black Tail Cribno)
    SD/D Retic
    Woma or Black Headed Python
    Other Reptile Wishlist
    Poison dart frogs

6. The Following User Says Thank You to BR8080 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (09-21-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,854 Times in 4,776 Posts
    I wouldn't worry about the tv. During a short outage you can live without it, and during a several day outage you'll be too busy doing chores that would normally be fast to watch it.

I would get enough generator to handle the freezer and a small space heater that you could use just in the snake room to get the ambient temp to 82-83*F. The heater is a very inefficient use of the generator though, you may find it more cost-effective to get a kerosene heater. If you put your chest freezer in the snake room the exhaust from it will also help keep the room warm.

Also those little "Mr Buddy" style propane heaters are great for small spaces like bathrooms. In the winter we put one under every sink and in the mud/utility room to help keep our copper pipes from freezing if the power is out after an ice storm.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (09-21-2018)

Thanks

A buddy of mine has one of those Honda 2200 watt generators and its a fantastic device. You can run it at full power and easily have a conversation while standing over it. It's that quiet. He also tells me that it'll run forever on a gallon of gas.

We lose power at my house several times a year and the more snakes I get the more I worry about that. I'd have bought a Honda generator already but I haven't yet decided which is most cost effective for my needs. They can all be run parallel to double the wattage (so long as they are the same model) which gives a lot of flexibility.
    Last edited by JRLongton; 09-21-2018 at 09:53 AM.
    \m/

10. The Following User Says Thank You to JRLongton For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (09-21-2018)

Thanks

Here's an option:

My old man found government surplus auctions for our state (I guarantee your own state has them as well) and purchased a non-running Dayton-Honda 5000 Watt generator for like $400. It was the fire departments and they had simply not used it in three years. He went there, inspected it, and discovered it smelled like old gas......which probably means it had a gummed up carb.

Bought it for $400, paid an engine repair place $90 for a carb/fuel tank cleaning............ended up with a mint $2200 generator with 50 hours on it for $490. Honda engine. Amazing deal.

Firefighters take take of their stuff, just remember that, they have a lot of free time on their hands and it usually gets spent on maintaining equipment.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to KevinK For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (09-21-2018)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BR8080 View Post
    Honda, as you mentioned, make good generators and they sip gas. Generac is also a great line and one of my coworkers has a Champion (they actually have a warehouse near me and he got it discounted there).

I have a 15kW Generac generator I plug into my panel and back-feed the entire house. I also feel obligated to have the neighbor run an extension cord to his place as the thing runs pretty loud and it's outside his bedroom window. I do not have any line conditioners but I do have a ground rod 4' into the earth I clamp it to.

I kinda wish it was a natural gas automatic generator but the price tag was just too high.
    This is basically what we have. A generac with an outlet that goes directly to our main panel, and then from there, I can switch individual sections of the house on using the breakers. However, the size of the generac we got cannot run the air conditioner. We basically got this to power the one room in the event of prolonged outage. Being in Florida makes heating a little less dire for us, but better safe than sorry.
    Too Many...

That's what my wife says

14. The Following User Says Thank You to PiperPython For This Useful Post:

BR8080 (09-26-2018)