Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,381

0 members and 1,381 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,532
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
    Thanks

Weight or thickness(Diet selection)

So Regina my first ball python is eating well got her fourth feeding done today and she is super docile and even eats normally during shed(Surprised me). But now I am at a dilemma she is not particularly acting like she is underfed but her weight to me says she might need upgrade on food? I could also be completely wrong though.

Right now she is on medium mice from Arctic Mice she eat healthily and I have never had a problem feeding her.

Her weight came out to be 241g

Should I try to switch to rats? If someone could also explain why rats are better that would be helpful as well

Thanks
    Thanked 19,824 Times in 11,843 Posts
    Many often say that rats = better nutrition...I don't buy that*, but some do...mostly it's that rats get larger for when your snake does too & needs bigger prey-
    some people like to get their BP switched over to rats while they are eating consistently & often (ie. when they're young), because like the rest of us, many
    develop firm opinions about what they like & what they'll eat, so if you wait a long time to switch them, some insist they only want mice. (*I used to have a
    scientific nutritional chart comparing a rat to a mouse & disproving the idea that either has superior nutrition for snakes, but don't know what I did with it...
    you could try googling it & be sure to verify the quality of the sources you get.) Anyway, if Regina is only on her 4th feeding with you (how many did she have
    before you got her?) then it's truly no rush to change her to rats just yet.

When I feed my snakes, I generally don't go by weight, but on the width of the feeder being roughly the same as the snake's mid-body is around. Either way
    you want to figure it is fine though. How often are you feeding her? If she looks a little under-weight, you could also stay with mice for now & maybe feed a
    day sooner (as long as it's not less than a week, they do need time to digest). But the other thing to keep in mind is that a slow-grown snake, & one that is a
    little UNDER weight rather than a little OVER weight tends to be healthier in the long run. While many owners want to rush their snakes to get big, it's not
    necessarily the best thing for the snake.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Alter-Echo (09-22-2018)

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    It's not about prey type it's about the right amount whether you feed rats or mice and if this snake feeds on medium mice it is underfed. This snake can easily take a full grown mouse.

https://ball-pythons.net/forums/show...ing-Guidelines

There are advantage in feeding rats and it is that in the future you only have to feed one prey vs multiple however gram per gram rats or mice are all the same.
    Deborah Stewart

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

MissterDog (09-21-2018)

Thanks

Re: Weight or thickness(Diet selection)

First, If you can Switch to rats and your snake will take them, then go for it! Your snake will grow and eventually need a meal size bigger than any single mouse could provide. So for the sake of convenience. Rats are the way to go!

As far as Size goes. These two rules often work for Young snakes and either one is a good option.
    1. Feed the snake 10% of its body weight (every 7 days)
    or
    2. Feed the snake a rodent that is just as thick as the thickest part of its body. (every 7 days)

The Females can grow fast! I got a Normal Female in February 2018, she was 92 grams. And Today She is just over 800 grams!

All snakes are different and if yours will take rats then Great! If not, then enough mice (or perserverance) will work also!
    But regardless, as long as she eats properly and she is not overfed she will do just fine!
    Last edited by Nz2500; 09-20-2018 at 11:34 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Many often say that rats = better nutrition...I don't buy that*, but some do...mostly it's that rats get larger for when your snake does too & needs bigger prey-
    some people like to get their BP switched over to rats while they are eating consistently & often (ie. when they're young), because like the rest of us, many
    develop firm opinions about what they like & what they'll eat, so if you wait a long time to switch them, some insist they only want mice. (*I used to have a
    scientific nutritional chart comparing a rat to a mouse & disproving the idea that either has superior nutrition for snakes, but don't know what I did with it...
    you could try googling it & be sure to verify the quality of the sources you get.) Anyway, if Regina is only on her 4th feeding with you (how many did she have
    before you got her?) then it's truly no rush to change her to rats just yet.

When I feed my snakes, I generally don't go by weight, but on the width of the feeder being roughly the same as the snake's mid-body is around. Either way
    you want to figure it is fine though. How often are you feeding her? If she looks a little under-weight, you could also stay with mice for now & maybe feed a
    day sooner (as long as it's not less than a week, they do need time to digest). But the other thing to keep in mind is that a slow-grown snake, & one that is a
    little UNDER weight rather than a little OVER weight tends to be healthier in the long run. While many owners want to rush their snakes to get big, it's not
    necessarily the best thing for the snake.

I think I might be just a bit jumpy because the albino I got recently honestly looks like he walked through hell while overweight O.o

He's doing good on recovery but he has had one terrible shed that is making it hard to visually see if he is dehydrated I actually have to feel the snake at parts where he managed to get the shed off.

The pet store I got Regina at said she was a juvenile I did not think to ask how many feedings they gave her but she is pretty small still even if she has grown some length already.

underweight would be loose skin or rib showing like normal animals? Or do snakes show differently?

here is Regina's pic:

I don't think she is underweight but she is definitely smaller than the albino.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by VereMyth View Post
    I think I might be just a bit jumpy because the albino I got recently honestly looks like he walked through hell while overweight O.o

He's doing good on recovery but he has had one terrible shed that is making it hard to visually see if he is dehydrated I actually have to feel the snake at parts where he managed to get the shed off.

The pet store I got Regina at said she was a juvenile I did not think to ask how many feedings they gave her but she is pretty small still even if she has grown some length already.

underweight would be loose skin or rib showing like normal animals? Or do snakes show differently?

here is Regina's pic:

I don't think she is underweight but she is definitely smaller than the albino.
    Regina looks fine to me....just fine. Many pet stores don't feed as much as owners do, so the snakes don't out-grow their enclosures or their "baby-snake-appeal"
    to buyers. Underweight snakes can show more backbone. Don't usually see loose skin unless it's chronic starvation, then the skin may never recover & tears like
    tissue paper.

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    Regina looks fine to me too. But that being said, she could definitely move up in prey size. She could easily take large adult mice or if you're trying to switch now, rat pups.
    The feeding chart that Deborah shared in the link is a great reference.

Thanks
    Thank you everyone! That chart is now a permanent edition to my google drive folder lol. I have really been enjoying this community and the knowledge it has brought me & my snakes . Hopefully in the next few months and years to come, I can help return some of this without advising to wait for more experienced people on the site to show up
    Last edited by VereMyth; 09-21-2018 at 04:49 PM.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VereMyth For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (09-21-2018),Craiga 01453 (09-21-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by VereMyth View Post
    Thank you everyone! That chart is now a permanent edition to my google drive folder lol. I have really been enjoying this community and the knowledge it has brought me & my snakes . Hopefully in the next few months and years to come, I can help return some of this without advising to wait for more experienced people on the site to show up
    We're glad to have you with us.

Thanks
    If you are looking to grow her faster, Rats are the way to go definitely. Even Rat pups for now.

Mice give a 5.25kcal\g ratio and Rats give a 6.37 kcal\g. This might not look like a lot, but if you were to feed your snake (obviously when it's bigger) 2 Adult mice around 50 grams each, that meal is 525kcals. But if you were to feed that same snake a 150 gram rat instead, it would be a 956kcal meal. (Again, this ratio is assuming a medium rat would be a good size meal for your snake, numbers would differ for smaller snake, but the Rat<Mouse ratio is the same). Other than that, Until your snake really needs a large rat, feeding it 1 adult mouse a week at this size would be perfect.
    1.1 Ivory Burmese Pythons 0.1 Albino Granite Burmese Python
    1.0 Orange Glow Retic 0.1 White Albino Retic 0.1 Purple Tiger Retic
    1.0 Anaconda Hognose 1.0 Hognose DBL Het Snow
    0.0.1 Red Tail Boa
    1.0 Albino Blitz BP
    0.1 Pastel Het Pied BP
    1.0 Pastel Leopard BP
    0.1 Pastel Vanilla BP
    0.1 Super Phantom BP
    0.1 Spinner Enchi BP
    0.1 Albino Kingsnake