Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,935

0 members and 2,935 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

Ball python enclosure

Hello! I am going to take on the challenge of building my ball pythons an enclosure out of melamine because I feel they need more space and whatnot. I want to make a 6’ x 4’ x 2’ that is split into one 4’x2’x2’ on the bottom and then 2 3’x2’x2 on the top. (My female ball is pretty big and I like to give plenty of items in the enclosure so I want the extra space)

My problems I am having is

-figuring out the dimensions of each individual piece (including braces for support) I’m confused about if you make a big box and then add the shelf’s or if you include them in the beginning (top, middle, and bottom would be same dimensions)
    -how to give them underbelly heat in a safe way and I will be using a thermostat
    -which lighting fixtures don’t give off heat and are the easiest to install

Any other information you’re willing to share is greatly appreciated, I am a newbie to building but have had my 3 babies for over a year (so still new...I guess haha)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks

Re: Ball python enclosure

About eight years ago I had very similar plans and actually built a multi-unit melamine enclosure ....but I ended up not using it and ordering an Animal Plastics setup instead for several reasons.

Melamine is insanely heavy, keep that in mind. By the time I had completed the cage it weighed easily over 200lbs and could not be moved without at least three adult men.

Then consider that your heat sources should be shielded in some fashion....a lot of people typically place their heat sources under a sheet of lexan (plexi glass) or actual glass and then waterproof it with silicone......either way it's a pain in the axx because you have to route it into the melamine. The easier route is to just use Radiant Heat Panels which mount right to the top of the individual caging units.

THEN you must consider the amount of venting for each cage which will control your humidity levels.....this is a trial and error process, that only you will be able to determine.

As far as designing and how to assemble it? That's on you and your design skills. You can maybe find some pictures of such units online but overall there's not a lot of resources. The best advice I can give IF you would like to proceed with melamine at this point is to seal the cages extremely well....moisture+melamine=bad news.

Can you see why I went with AP cages by now? By the time you complete construction on your cage, you would be pretty close in budget to an Animal Plastics cage where ALL of the cutting and difficult work is already done.

Melamin racks with plastic tubs are a different animal as your heat tape, poop, and urates are seperated by the individual tubs.
    Last edited by KevinK; 09-20-2018 at 02:34 PM.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KevinK For This Useful Post:

C.Marie (09-20-2018),Karleejoe (09-20-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,152 Times in 3,380 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Karleejoe View Post
    Hello! I am going to take on the challenge of building my ball pythons an enclosure out of melamine because I feel they need more space and whatnot. I want to make a 6’ x 4’ x 2’ that is split into one 4’x2’x2’ on the bottom and then 2 3’x2’x2 on the top. (My female ball is pretty big and I like to give plenty of items in the enclosure so I want the extra space)
    what are u doing w/ the extra 2feet on the bottom? is that gonna be a spare 2x2x2 cube?

-figuring out the dimensions of each individual piece (including braces for support) I’m confused about if you make a big box and then add the shelf’s or if you include them in the beginning (top, middle, and bottom would be same dimensions)
    yes, i would make the big box, outer walls first. there are programs that could help u optimize your cuts. u punch in the dimensions of the mother board and the smaller sizes u need and it will recommend how to cut. also another thing to consider is are the pieces gonna sit flush or are u gonna add additional cuts/grooves to fit in the interior walls? this will help w/ stability if u don't want to use additional brackets, etc. on the other hand, maybe u could just use enough screws?

-how to give them underbelly heat in a safe way and I will be using a thermostat
    i would imagine that u would at least use 1/2inch boards, most likely 1inch. i don't use melamine and not sure how much heat penetration there is from an UTH. you might need to make a cutout for the UTH to help. this would be for the bottom and i'm not sure how u could use a UTH for the top units. TBH unless it's a rack, i don't see alotta UTH's or bellyheat being used in melanine or wooden enclosures. it's all CHE or RHP.

-which lighting fixtures don’t give off heat and are the easiest to install
    LED light strips are easiest to install. they do still give off a lil bit of heat tho.
    RIP Mamba
    ----------------

Wicked ones now on IG & FB!6292

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Ax01 For This Useful Post:

Karleejoe (09-20-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KevinK View Post
    About eight years ago I had very similar plans and actually built a multi-unit melamine enclosure ....but I ended up not using it and ordering an Animal Plastics setup instead for several reasons.

Melamine is insanely heavy, keep that in mind. By the time I had completed the cage it weighed easily over 200lbs and could not be moved without at least three adult men.

Then consider that your heat sources should be shielded in some fashion....a lot of people typically place their heat sources under a sheet of lexan (plexi glass) or actual glass and then waterproof it with silicone......either way it's a pain in the axx because you have to route it into the melamine. The easier route is to just use Radiant Heat Panels which mount right to the top of the individual caging units.

THEN you must consider the amount of venting for each cage which will control your humidity levels.....this is a trial and error process, that only you will be able to determine.

As far as designing and how to assemble it? That's on you and your design skills. You can maybe find some pictures of such units online but overall there's not a lot of resources. The best advice I can give IF you would like to proceed with melamine at this point is to seal the cages extremely well....moisture+melamine=bad news.

Can you see why I went with AP cages by now? By the time you complete construction on your cage, you would be pretty close in budget to an Animal Plastics cage where ALL of the cutting and difficult work is already done.

Melamin racks with plastic tubs are a different animal as your heat tape, poop, and urates are seperated by the individual tubs.
    I’ve heard that for sealing the cage to go with 100% silicone as it’s safe for animals...let me know if this won’t work haha

I think I will get a heat emitter for the top of the cage as routering a spot for a heat mat sounds like a pain....

Thank you so much for your response you have been VERY helpful

Thanks

Ball python enclosure

Quote Originally Posted by Ax01 View Post
    what are u doing w/ the extra 2feet on the bottom? is that gonna be a spare 2x2x2 cube?

yes, i would make the big box, outer walls first. there are programs that could help u optimize your cuts. u punch in the dimensions of the mother board and the smaller sizes u need and it will recommend how to cut. also another thing to consider is are the pieces gonna sit flush or are u gonna add additional cuts/grooves to fit in the interior walls? this will help w/ stability if u don't want to use additional brackets, etc. on the other hand, maybe u could just use enough screws?

i would imagine that u would at least use 1/2inch boards, most likely 1inch. i don't use melamine and not sure how much heat penetration there is from an UTH. you might need to make a cutout for the UTH to help. this would be for the bottom and i'm not sure how u could use a UTH for the top units. TBH unless it's a rack, i don't see alotta UTH's or bellyheat being used in melanine or wooden enclosures. it's all CHE or RHP.

LED light strips are easiest to install. they do still give off a lil bit of heat tho.
    I plan to put a young corn snake in there eventually

I plan to use screws that are much longer for the center pieces while also drilling pilot holes for everything with wood glue applied everywhere as well

I have found 3/4” boards, and I’ve heard the UTH can’t penetrate through wood. I will do some research into some other forms of heating for the cages since everything under belly is tricky. I may do cutouts on the bottom and then the overhead heaters on top

Thank you very much you were extremely helpful

Last edited by Karleejoe; 09-20-2018 at 04:46 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,606 Times in 907 Posts

I built melamine cages several years ago. I went with a very simple bookshelf design. The shelves were cut from one 4’x8’ melamine sheet (Home Depot made the cross cuts for me). The sides were two 4’ melamine shelf boards (no cuts needed), and the back was made of a sheet of backsplash board (about 1/8” thick with one side glossy, also cut by Home Depot). I predrilled through the sides into the shelves and sunk three 3” screws into each side of each shelf, and 1/2”-3/4” screws to attach the backboard - also predrilled. By the time the shelves and backboard were secured, there was no need for additional bracing.

I used plexi doors in aluminum tracks, but if I did this again I’d used hinged doors with a litter dam. I used silicone to seal the cages and mounted Ultratherm heat panels on one end as I just needed to create a warm end in the mid-upper 80’s. With balls or boas, I’d use radiant heat panels on thermostats. To make it easier to move, I added heavy duty casters to the bottom. The casters were mounted to 1”x4” boards that spanned the width of the bottom cage on each end, which were then mounted to the melamine. This was to ensure that the melamine didn’t crack or break from the weight of the cage on the casters as it was rolled. As said by others, melamine is heavy...the casters helped, but they need to be industrial strength.

As the cage ages, you will have to reseal as scraping urates and cleaning take its toll on the sealant. Once liquid gets into the melamine through failed sealant, the melamine will begin to separate...and you cannot get rid of the odor if the liquid that gets absorbed is urine. I used these for a few years, but eventually upgraded to all plastic caging with radiant heat panels. They are much, much lighter and easier to clean, disinfect, and deodorize.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Dianne For This Useful Post:

Karleejoe (09-20-2018)

Thanks

I think I’ve decided to purchase a few cages from boamaster because there are pvc options and since I don’t plan to get more snakes or get rid of them anytime soon I have about 20 years of care ahead and will just invest the money in something going to last much longer than melamine. Thank you all so much for your help

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Karleejoe For This Useful Post:

Godzilla78 (09-20-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,106 Times in 1,195 Posts

I think I’ve decided to purchase a few cages from boamaster because there are pvc options and since I don’t plan to get more snakes or get rid of them anytime soon I have about 20 years of care ahead and will just invest the money in something going to last much longer than melamine. Thank you all so much for your help

PVC boamaster. Great choice!
    #melamineisgarbage

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Godzilla78 For This Useful Post:

Karleejoe (09-20-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,106 Times in 1,195 Posts

Ball python enclosure

I use commercial pvc cages,
    and have my own custom built racks built of bullet-proof oak hardwood cabinet grade ply boards sanded and sealed with water proof deck paint.

Pricey? Yes!, in the short term. But I want enclosures that will endure as long as my pythons! For decades. Saves money in the long run to build it right the first time.
    Melamine works fine for awhile, until it gets chipped, gets wet, or warps, degrades... yuck
    Last edited by Godzilla78; 09-20-2018 at 10:31 PM.