Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,531

1 members and 1,530 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,532
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: What made you want to adopt a snake?

Quote Originally Posted by the_rotten1 View Post
    Awhile back an online friend of mine made a post asking if anyone wanted a $500 snake. The story is that she had another friend who loved Pied BPs. She found one online and offered to trade a bunch of camping supplies for it. The owner agreed to the trade, but then her friend couldn't take it in. He didn't have a setup ready or the means to purchase one at the time.

I didn't have any pets back then and thought it would be nice to have a snake, so I told her I would love to have him. Over the course of the next week or so I went out and bought a setup and everything, but just when I was almost ready the trade fell through. I was bummed. I had gone without pets for several years at that point and I had my heart set on getting him. So I decided I'd just go buy another one. I couldn't find any locally, so I found this guy on MorphMarket:

This is Alexander when he was smaller. I absolutely fell in love with him. I realized pretty quickly that I wanted more snakes, maybe a female BP or two to breed later on and a couple other species. I thought I would stop with just a few. BOY WAS I WRONG.

So years later I have 19 Ball Pythons, 3 Rosy Boas, 3 Western Hognose snakes, a pair of Mexican Black Kingsnakes, 2 Cornsnakes, a̶n̶d̶ ̶a̶ ̶p̶a̶r̶t̶r̶i̶d̶g̶e̶ ̶i̶n̶ ̶a̶ ̶p̶e̶a̶r̶ ̶t̶r̶e̶e̶... I mean, several breeding groups of mice and rats. And another 9 baby snakes for sale.

Whoops.

Most people outside of the hobby think I'm nuts, but I love them all. I've loved animals ever since I was a kid. My parents only let us get kind of the pets they wanted us to have though. It didn't particularly matter what we wanted. I'm not even sure if I asked them for a snake because I already knew what the answer would've been. So I'm making up for it now.
    What an amazing story!! I'm really happy for you! Alexander is gorgeous as well! How long have you had him?

Though I have to say I feel the same way too; one animal lover to another. I can't get more pets at the moment, but I'll definitely make up for it when I can XD
    My best friend is a cat.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

I currently have 8 reptiles in my care, and there are 9 in the house (my Fiancé Katie/SunshineWalker on BP.net has a Leachie). I am learning with her about leachies and helping her by applying my reptile knowledge to a newbie. When we met she was "meh" towards the reptiles. Now she has her own. However, I will let her tell her story as well.

For me, I've always been fascinated with and loved snakes and reptiles, but snakes specifically. I've always thought they were amazing creatures and loved their natural beauty and predatory skills. As the years progressed and morphs became popular, I was blown away with what breeders were coming up with.

I had a few reptiles as a kid, but it wasn't a great experience because it was the 90's and there was not as much info available and no internet. Both I, and the reptiles suffered. After losing a lizard to calcium deficiency and realizing my parents had no interest in learning or helping me with care, I held off on reptiles for a while. I said I wouldn't do it again until I could do it right for them and for me.

I adopted a BP and converted her to F/T at about 18 (I was 18 - she was about 10) and kept her until I was 20 and had to move away for school. The local vet tech took her in and she ended up living a long life with him and his family.

Once settled after college, I ended up with a few animals; a Bearded Dragon, George (RIP), who lived until a few years ago and age 11, and two corns.

I was due to have a kidney transplant and the doctors' told me I had to get rid of the reptiles or risk infection (I would be severely immune suppressed after transplant, and for the rest of my life, but to a lesser degree). I listened and got rid of my two corns, but kept George, because my ex-wife said she would take care of him.

Of course, she did not, I ended up doing it, and believe it or not, I didn't get sick.

I did a lot of research, and learned that if I was careful (hand washing, hand washing, hand washing, and keeping clean tanks) I would probably be fine.

I hit the hobby harder than ever before. This was 6 years ago. I had always wanted and albino BP and I got Shayna my Albino Spider BP. She just turned 6 this month and is doing great.

After Shayna came Figment (Corn), 3 Female Leopard Geckos, Frank (BTS), Behira (BCI), and Solana (corn).

What do I love about reptiles?

1. They are incredibly fascinating and beautiful creatures

2. They are interactive

3. I love creating an good environment for them (Husbandry, Husbandry, Husbandry) and keeping it clean, feeding them, etc. It gives me a reason to get up every morning (even when I feel awful). They rely on me and it's cathartic spending my 10-20 minutes a day going through their tanks and cleaning, etc. I love working with them and developing a rapport and all my animals I would trust implicitly with someone else holding them. They are all incredibly docile and calm.

4. Reptiles are just plain cool.

Having said all that, it's an addiction. I want more, but I am trying to be realistic about things as well. I want this to be a fun passion and hobby, not a job!

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (09-20-2018),Damselle (10-04-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dakski View Post
    I currently have 8 reptiles in my care, and there are 9 in the house (my Fiancé Katie/SunshineWalker on BP.net has a Leachie). I am learning with her about leachies and helping her by applying my reptile knowledge to a newbie. When we met she was "meh" towards the reptiles. Now she has her own. However, I will let her tell her story as well.

For me, I've always been fascinated with and loved snakes and reptiles, but snakes specifically. I've always thought they were amazing creatures and loved their natural beauty and predatory skills. As the years progressed and morphs became popular, I was blown away with what breeders were coming up with.

I had a few reptiles as a kid, but it wasn't a great experience because it was the 90's and there was not as much info available and no internet. Both I, and the reptiles suffered. After losing a lizard to calcium deficiency and realizing my parents had no interest in learning or helping me with care, I held off on reptiles for a while. I said I wouldn't do it again until I could do it right for them and for me.

I adopted a BP and converted her to F/T at about 18 (I was 18 - she was about 10) and kept her until I was 20 and had to move away for school. The local vet tech took her in and she ended up living a long life with him and his family.

Once settled after college, I ended up with a few animals; a Bearded Dragon, George (RIP), who lived until a few years ago and age 11, and two corns.

I was due to have a kidney transplant and the doctors' told me I had to get rid of the reptiles or risk infection (I would be severely immune suppressed after transplant, and for the rest of my life, but to a lesser degree). I listened and got rid of my two corns, but kept George, because my ex-wife said she would take care of him.

Of course, she did not, I ended up doing it, and believe it or not, I didn't get sick.

I did a lot of research, and learned that if I was careful (hand washing, hand washing, hand washing, and keeping clean tanks) I would probably be fine.

I hit the hobby harder than ever before. This was 6 years ago. I had always wanted and albino BP and I got Shayna my Albino Spider BP. She just turned 6 this month and is doing great.

After Shayna came Figment (Corn), 3 Female Leopard Geckos, Frank (BTS), Behira (BCI), and Solana (corn).

What do I love about reptiles?

1. They are incredibly fascinating and beautiful creatures

2. They are interactive

3. I love creating an good environment for them (Husbandry, Husbandry, Husbandry) and keeping it clean, feeding them, etc. It gives me a reason to get up every morning (even when I feel awful). They rely on me and it's cathartic spending my 10-20 minutes a day going through their tanks and cleaning, etc. I love working with them and developing a rapport and all my animals I would trust implicitly with someone else holding them. They are all incredibly docile and calm.

4. Reptiles are just plain cool.

Having said all that, it's an addiction. I want more, but I am trying to be realistic about things as well. I want this to be a fun passion and hobby, not a job!
    How wonderful You really have had some incredible reptiles in your collection! From the sounds of it, you've also been a great owner. I honestly hope your collection expands at some point, but only in your own time, of course!

If I'm being honest, ever since I got my first bp, I've been wanting more pets of my own. I know maybe not another snake at the moment, but I think I'd like a corn snake or a western hognose. I'm debating on getting a fish here soon, once I have more money to spend
    My best friend is a cat.

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Traceur View Post
    That's amazing! Honestly, it sounds like you really are living the dream It must be fun owning that many snakes, yes? Golly, how could you keep track of them all?

But honestly, I bet you kind of get used to answering questions to noobs like me who are barely starting with their first snake XD That's a badge of honor if anything for ya
    It is a dream, of course it is work but if you enjoy what you do it does not feel like one, but you need to know what your limits are so you do not get burned out and loose you passion some people don't.

As for answering questions this is are you give back to the community, being able to to mentor people is also very rewarding.
    Deborah Stewart

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Deborah View Post
    It is a dream, of course it is work but if you enjoy what you do it does not feel like one, but you need to know what your limits are so you do not get burned out and loose you passion some people don't.

As for answering questions this is are you give back to the community, being able to to mentor people is also very rewarding.
    Sure does sound like it Also, I have listened to you and the other community members's suggestions, and I have been trying to touch up things since. My Provent a mite arrived earlier this week, so I can finally deal with those little pests
    My best friend is a cat.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Traceur For This Useful Post:

Stewart_Reptiles (09-20-2018)

Thanks
    It’s actually a kind of sad story. Last year I lost a friend of mine to a neurological condition that caused seizures. It’s sad when anybody you know passes, but we’re only in college so it was that much more shocking since she was so young. Anyways, I was driving to a memorial one night and in my haziness almost missed the driveway, so I turned real quick and hit a curb HARD. I found myself stranded with a flat tire at 12:30am, had to use a donut, not fun. Anyways, the next week I went to get a replacement and it was taking a while, and the car place happened to share a lot with a pet store, small local chain. I wandered over and was admiring the reptiles and mentioned offhand how I’d love to own a snake (I’d had geckos and dragons growing up but I wanted something legless, lol) to the employee working in the reptile room. He started raving about how cool ball pythons were and how they’re relatively easy to care for, told me all about his collection and how he was a student as well and keeping them was completely manageable. I was intrigued, haha...I went home and did more research for five months before pulling the trigger, and I actually found my girl online rather than at a pet store, but ive always thought it’s funny how one event leads to another.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to purpleroan For This Useful Post:

Damselle (10-04-2018),Tessellate (10-04-2018)

Thanks
    My first snake is Regina a normal ball python.

My family was/is a mixture of afraid or just with it, my mom calls them her grand-snakes as well, and even has her "Regina time" nightly lol... If I had to choose a snake to introduce to a person she would be the one, she is the most laid back noodle.

My second snake came about after I got my husbandry right(temps/humidity). Name being Regi he is an albino BP and almost the opposite in temperament not violent but very easily startled I somewhat contribute this to the miserable condition he was at in the pet store I got him at.
    Last edited by VereMyth; 10-04-2018 at 11:11 AM.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Living things fascinate me.
    I'd own an octopus, if it were feasible.

Thanks
    Always had an interest in nature and the world around me, including animals. Non-mammals interested me especially--I was the kid who had spiders running around on their hands, fascinated. I knew I wanted a reptile, but wasn't able to have one until I moved out of the house. Even then, I waited until I got a permanent place before getting my first snake. I have trouble with emotional and physical tasks at times, which rules out any animal that needs food and companionship daily. A snake lives at the same pace I do--a little slower, a little quieter. It's almost meditative to care for one, even handling is slow and peaceful. I like learning about and tweaking their husbandry to give them their best experience, and there's always something new to improve on. Snakes fit my m.o. (plus they're so dang cute)

Thanks

What a great thread...

would I sound off my bonkers is I said I have alway considered snakes as one of my totem animals?

but it wasn't until recently that I decided I had to own one. I love the feel of them, which is why I knew it had to be a boa. Also, I don't like getting bit so much, so when I found Louie at the local pet shop (Daves soda and pet food) and he lazily swirled around my hand, I knew he was the one. Doesn't hurt that he's a beauty....

I just find holding a snake very grounding.

but even as a little girl, I loved snakes, as I love most creatures. My earliest memory of a snake was when my sister and I were out weeding, at my mother's command, and we came across something that rattled. We live in Massacusetts so, we don't have too many snakes that rattle or are venomous... Not sure what it was because my sister screamed and my horrible step father came out and batted it to death with a shovel. I remember someone saying, "you have to cut off the head" ... Which he did, with the edge of the shovlel. It was over kill to me. Such a little thing, all we needed to do is leave it alone and it would have gone on its way.... Which is my official policy on wild snakes.

not sure why so many people have a revulsion to snakes. They really are just innocent creatures.

but easy to keep? I beg to differ. Cats are the way easiest. Dogs second. My Louie, I've fused and fumed over since Labor Day weekend, when I got him.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Damselle For This Useful Post:

Avsha531 (10-04-2018)

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast