Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,372

0 members and 3,372 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I have been fascinated by snakes since I was about 6, never could convince my parents to have one so YEARS later here I am with about 60 snakes (holdbacks of various ages plus proven breeders) 4 species and 2 snake rooms. During baby season those numbers usually triple or even quadruple.

I guess I made up for all those years without a snake.
    Deborah Stewart

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (09-20-2018)

Thanks

Re: What made you want to adopt a snake?

Quote Originally Posted by MissterDog View Post
    Thank you! Bubble/boba tea has been my favorite drink I've obsessed with for ages, and I'd always love putting tapioca pearls in them! I never actually tried tapioca pudding before! I should find some! lol
    You what, mate??? You've never had tapioca pudding before????

Duuuuude, seriously? You really should try it! It's good as hell!! Trust me, you'll probably get addicted
    My best friend is a cat.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Traceur For This Useful Post:

MissterDog (09-20-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Deborah View Post
    I have been fascinated by snakes since I was about 6, never could convince my parents to have one so YEARS later here I am with about 60 snakes (holdbacks of various ages plus proven breeders) 4 species and 2 snake rooms. During baby season those numbers usually triple or even quadruple.

I guess I made up for all those years without a snake.
    That's amazing! Honestly, it sounds like you really are living the dream It must be fun owning that many snakes, yes? Golly, how could you keep track of them all?

But honestly, I bet you kind of get used to answering questions to noobs like me who are barely starting with their first snake XD That's a badge of honor if anything for ya
    My best friend is a cat.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Traceur For This Useful Post:

Stewart_Reptiles (09-20-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,694 Times in 1,076 Posts
    My first adoption was Odyn....came into the store under weight with an eye cap issue. He wouldn't eat and I finally got him going after a month and I took him home, free of charge. He is such a good boy. He is just a normal BP. And while some will say it is not an adoption from a pet store, he saved me as much as I saved him and he would have died if I didn't step in from the beginning and tell them how this will,play out.

my second and some would say real rescue is Eeden and pueblan milk snake who is 9 years old and was severely underfed. He was the size of a bubble tea straw and only 80g or so maybe less. He is now at 146 and still gaining and so different from the pythons. I just love this little one so much. Little personality and he teases the cats lol.
    ~Sunny~
    Booplesnoop
    Coilsome, Odyn, & Eeden AKA theLittleOne

0:1 Pastel Het Red Day Chocolate
    1:0 Normal
    0:0:1 Pueblan milk snake

*~* Nothing sticky (tape, stick on gauges, Velcro) goes into your enclosure! Again...NOTHING sticky goes into your enclosure....EVER! *~*

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sunnieskys For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (09-20-2018),Damselle (10-04-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sunnieskys View Post
    My first adoption was Odyn....came into the store under weight with an eye cap issue. He wouldn't eat and I finally got him going after a month and I took him home, free of charge. He is such a good boy. He is just a normal BP. And while some will say it is not an adoption from a pet store, he saved me as much as I saved him and he would have died if I didn't step in from the beginning and tell them how this will,play out.

my second and some would say real rescue is Eeden and pueblan milk snake who is 9 years old and was severely underfed. He was the size of a bubble tea straw and only 80g or so maybe less. He is now at 146 and still gaining and so different from the pythons. I just love this little one so much. Little personality and he teases the cats lol.
    They both sound so beautiful I bet you're a proud mother, with such lovely babies like them!
    My best friend is a cat.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,018 Times in 1,743 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Traceur View Post
    Geezers, how can one own so many darn snakes???I noticed a lot of people owning tons of snakes since I joined, why is that?

But I love your story. Hopefully, when I get a bigger place, I'd love to own more pets. I hope your collection keeps expanding, tho
    Honestly, it doesn't feel like a lot at all! Because they're just such low-maintenance animals, they barely take any time at all in a week to care for. (Low-maintenance not meaning low research or loose husbandry) I still spend more time raising my one german shepherd than I do all of my snakes! So therefore, I just keep getting more... hahah

I also keep getting more, because I like keeping a variety of species from top to bottom and experiencing their differences. Having only a couple ball pythons was not enough. LOL
    Last edited by redshepherd; 09-20-2018 at 01:44 AM.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to redshepherd For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (09-20-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by redshepherd View Post
    Honestly, it doesn't feel like a lot at all! Because they're just such low-maintenance animals, they barely take any time at all in a week to care for. (Low-maintenance not meaning low research or loose husbandry) I still spend more time raising my one german shepherd than I do all of my snakes! So therefore, I just keep getting more... hahah

I also keep getting more, because I like keeping a variety of species from top to bottom and experiencing their differences. Having only a couple ball pythons was not enough. LOL
    Ah, I couldn't agree more- it's fun owning a variety of species And oh my goodness, I love German shepherds! How precious! You got a basket of goodies right there, don't ya?
    My best friend is a cat.

Thanks
    Thanked 19,826 Times in 11,845 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Traceur View Post
    ...how can one own so many darn snakes???I noticed a lot of people owning tons of snakes since I joined, why is that?...
    Because we can! But seriously, this many birds & you'd go nuts...or dogs & cats, NO WAY! But snakes are low maintenance, they don't eat all the time, they
    don't demand attention, & they're quiet peaceful roomies that are fine with just being watched & watching us back. Graceful, beautiful souls that don't ask for much,
    but give back plenty. (-spoken like a true addict, ya? LOL)

Hey, those of you into photography...you know what we NEED? Greeting cards with really cool snake photos! So many cards out there for most other pet-lovers, but
    very few with snakes. Hint hint!

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Dianne (09-20-2018),redshepherd (09-20-2018)

Thanks
    Awhile back an online friend of mine made a post asking if anyone wanted a $500 snake. The story is that she had another friend who loved Pied BPs. She found one online and offered to trade a bunch of camping supplies for it. The owner agreed to the trade, but then her friend couldn't take it in. He didn't have a setup ready or the means to purchase one at the time.

I didn't have any pets back then and thought it would be nice to have a snake, so I told her I would love to have him. Over the course of the next week or so I went out and bought a setup and everything, but just when I was almost ready the trade fell through. I was bummed. I had gone without pets for several years at that point and I had my heart set on getting him. So I decided I'd just go buy another one. I couldn't find any locally, so I found this guy on MorphMarket:

This is Alexander when he was smaller. I absolutely fell in love with him. I realized pretty quickly that I wanted more snakes, maybe a female BP or two to breed later on and a couple other species. I thought I would stop with just a few. BOY WAS I WRONG.

So years later I have 19 Ball Pythons, 3 Rosy Boas, 3 Western Hognose snakes, a pair of Mexican Black Kingsnakes, 2 Cornsnakes, a̶n̶d̶ ̶a̶ ̶p̶a̶r̶t̶r̶i̶d̶g̶e̶ ̶i̶n̶ ̶a̶ ̶p̶e̶a̶r̶ ̶t̶r̶e̶e̶... I mean, several breeding groups of mice and rats. And another 9 baby snakes for sale.

Whoops.

Most people outside of the hobby think I'm nuts, but I love them all. I've loved animals ever since I was a kid. My parents only let us get kind of the pets they wanted us to have though. It didn't particularly matter what we wanted. I'm not even sure if I asked them for a snake because I already knew what the answer would've been. So I'm making up for it now.
    Last edited by the_rotten1; 09-20-2018 at 04:51 AM.
    ~ Ball Pythons - Rosy Boas - - Western Hognose Snakes - Mexican Black Kingsnakes - Corn Snakes ~

Check me out on iHerp, Instagram, & visit my store!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to the_rotten1 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (09-20-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Because we can! But seriously, this many birds & you'd go nuts...or dogs & cats, NO WAY! But snakes are low maintenance, they don't eat all the time, they
    don't demand attention, & they're quiet peaceful roomies that are fine with just being watched & watching us back. Graceful, beautiful souls that don't ask for much,
    but give back plenty. (-spoken like a true addict, ya? LOL)

Hey, those of you into photography...you know what we NEED? Greeting cards with really cool snake photos! So many cards out there for most other pet-lovers, but
    very few with snakes. Hint hint!
    Heh, I beg to differ with cats- but maybe cause I grew up with them and I work with them all the time XD I completely agree with you for snakes; ever since I got my little one, I've just enjoyed having him around. Sometimes I like providing him company by working on stuff in my room- even if he's sleeping and I know he doesn't notice. But maybe here soon, I could start photographing him and maybe other snakes as well. From what you're saying, that's a good idea actually, I'd totally do it
    My best friend is a cat.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast