Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,372

1 members and 3,371 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

heating a giant glass tank for multiple snakes?

Sooo since getting my first BP, I have decided to save a few more (I can’t handle watching them in the local petco just waiting to be loved.) I have been talking about getting a bigger tank for my 4ft friend. He’s currently in a 20 gal and he likes to venture ALOT at night so the one he’s in now doesn’t give him much room. My father in law brought me this giant tank that as you can see, I’m still working on, but just curious on the set up.. we are building our own screen covers for each individual section. Yes, you can divide it into four sections, or three, or two or just one. Anyways, i don’t think he’ll need more than one since this thing is massive but for now, does anyone have ANY idea how to heat this thing? I know bps need belly heat but the under side of this thing is wood and as of now does not have any room between the actual tank and the stand. Yes, they do come apart so Iv thought about putting something between them but that’s work in progress since this thing is 300 lbs. any ideas on how to provide belly heat in this? Iv heard some people put the heat pad inside the tank under the substrate.. I have a lot of fixing up to do with this but HEAT is the top on my list before anything else..

Any ideas? Please help!

[IMG][/IMG][IMG]

Thanks
    Thanked 4,018 Times in 1,743 Posts
    If it's a screen top, what about a CHE for each individual section? And of course each will need its own thermostat.

I don't see how you can use UTH either if theres no space under it for the thermostat probe, unless you find a way to elevate it by half an inch.

They don't need belly heat, that's just one method of heating.

eta: after looking closer at the tank, what are the floor dimensions of each section? It doesn't look like enough floor space to house an adult ball python. Maybe better to split it into only two sections.
    Last edited by redshepherd; 09-19-2018 at 08:26 PM.

Thanks
    In my personal opinion, I'd sell it and get myself something else (like a PVC enclosure). Depending where you live, you're going to have a hard time with temp fluctuation and keeping up the humidity.

With that said, I think belly heat is overrated and completely unnecessary. I know that it's suggested on the forums all day long but all commercial breeders focus on maintaining solid ambient temps. I've also only provide ambient temps of 80-82 and never had an issue. If I was in your shoes, I'd focus on providing ambient temps of 78-82 and work on your humidity.
    0.1 Reg. BP Het. Albino (Faye),
    1.0 Albino BP (Henry),
    0.1 Pastave BP Het. Pied (Kira)
    1.0 Pied BP (Sam)
    1.0 Bumble Bee BP (Izzy)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,826 Times in 11,845 Posts
    I prefer to use UTH aka "belly heat" for my snakes, & it's a challenge when you cannot get under the tank...you don't want to try to heat thru wood & other materials.

While I currently use Flexwatt, I have (many years ago) used a "Lectro-kennel" heating pad (designed for whelping quarters for dogs, etc. & insulated for safety w/
    moisture)...here is a current link to them: https://www.khpet.com/original-lectro-kennel.html

Along the same line are products for livestock (most are bigger) & also called "pig blankets" - the Bean Farm carries both UTH like Flexwatt and the Kane heat
    mats etc (note those are NOT supposed to be covered with substrate)- here's a link to them: https://beanfarm.com/collections/heating

Not all keepers use UTH & have equal success with RHP & CHE heat...so that's up to you, & others can advise on those.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,859 Times in 4,779 Posts

Re: heating a giant glass tank for multiple snakes?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Misha View Post
    In my personal opinion, I'd sell it and get myself something else (like a PVC enclosure).
    This. IIRC those tanks aren't cheap either. You could probably fund a nice 3'x2' PVC stack - or a good portion of one - if you sold it.

Thanks
    Those cages look pretty cool but will be more effort to maintain. I have a wood and glass display for my gtp and it takes more effort than her old plastic cube, but it makes for a nicer display which is what I wanted. If you're wanting a nice display I would do the lids differently and use RHPs...I've used them with bloods, and with my current ball, without any issues. If you want a lower maintenance set up, go for plastic enclosures.

BPnet Senior Member CALM Pythons's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,442 Times in 1,365 Posts

I cant see the Pic because I use the App. If you want Belly Heat, use three 1”x2” + depth of tank pieces of wood under it. 1 on each end and 1 in the middle for support.
    If you want Over Head heat which is all I use and you have a Tank with a screened lid, get a RHP and put it over the top of the Hot Side. I did that with quarantine snakes. Then cover the Cool side (over the screen) with a piece of Plexiglass from LOWES to keep heat in and help Humidity. This can be done, however I would never go back to trying to maintain proper temps/humidity and keep a Tank safe after having PVC enclosures. Probe & Thermometer wires all become a PITA with Tanks where in PVC you can drill and run thermometer wires out and back in on another side.. Its the only way to go IMO. Like taking candy from a baby.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Name: Christian
    0.1 Albino Ball (Sophie)
    0.1 Russo White Diamond (Grace)
    1.0 Hypo Burmese (Giacomo/AKA Jock)
    1.2 Razors Edge/Gotti & American Pit Bull
    ----------
    1.1 Albino/Normal Burmese (Mr & Mrs Snake)
    1.0 Albino Ball (Sully)

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Misha View Post
    In my personal opinion, I'd sell it and get myself something else (like a PVC enclosure). Depending where you live, you're going to have a hard time with temp fluctuation and keeping up the humidity.
    I have to agree. Though beautiful, that enclosure is not ideal for BPs.

...and P.S. PLEASE don't "rescue" snakes from the big box stores. You're only supporting their practices by putting money in their pockets and making room for more.
    For every animal you buy, they make profit and buy more. You're essentially rewarding them for keeping animals in lousy conditions.
    That's like signing your kid up for little league just so the coach who abuses the kids has enough kids for a team.
    Last edited by Craiga 01453; 09-20-2018 at 09:10 AM.

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (09-20-2018),C.Marie (09-20-2018),MissterDog (09-20-2018),Ronniex2 (09-20-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,135 Times in 1,197 Posts

You could do a raised floor in the tank and put a UTH under the floor. That would help with a hot spot. if you cover part of the top with plexi glass with holes in it for ventilation temp regulation will be easier. Keep your room it stays in in the mid to high 70s and you will be ok regulating temps. I have some in glass enclosures still and not husbandry problems.

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Skyrivers View Post
    You could do a raised floor in the tank and put a UTH under the floor. That would help with a hot spot. if you cover part of the top with plexi glass with holes in it for ventilation temp regulation will be easier. Keep your room it stays in in the mid to high 70s and you will be ok regulating temps. I have some in glass enclosures still and not husbandry problems.
    I'm all for glass, have used glass since 1999-2000ish with no problems. I was thinking more of the dimensions. Although it's huge, there's a lot of height vs not a lot of floir space.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

bcr229 (09-20-2018),Bogertophis (09-20-2018),C.Marie (09-20-2018)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast