Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
Well, you're making an assumption that the thermometer is reading ambient temperatures, & you are probably right, but it IS possible to read surface temperatures
with a thermometer...some of us that have been around a while have done so for years, by laying a thermometer right over the UTH & then waiting a while for the
accurate reading. I honestly do NOT like temp. guns...I bought a decent one & used it for a while, but it gave flaky readings that had to be taken multiple times...so
which one is the REAL one, if you know what I mean? Anyway, I sold my temp. gun & don't miss it one bit...I have a box of mercury thermometers that work just fine.

Note, I'm not trying to change anyone's methods here, just giving a caution about jumping to the wrong conclusions. You ARE correct that UTH must be regulated...
For whatever reason my app drops me below the replies I haven't read when I click in sometimes, so I didn't see this before my post.

Those are valid points you make, although some of the flaky looking readings I think is just a result of how the design works (assuming it isnt a defective device). "Point blank range" readings (esp by <1") rarely fluctuate more than tenths of a degree for me, and reads true to my home thermostat while my probe ones do not. If you're a few inches away, the size of the circle it measures is larger and it can cause the reading to fluctuate a degree or 2, especially on top of loose substrate, the further you are the more variance you will see. Personal preference, so you do you if it works for your snakes

For me, the concern with using a probe, especially under a hide/on the hot spot is that my BPs tend to poop or pee there making for extra cleanup or wrong readings or they shove them out of the way entirely. (I gues it would be different under a glass tank when it can be outside the enclosure directly on the heat mat. Mine are PVC cages and only have a thermostat probe slot)

OP, looks like you've got our opinions on the topic and can choose which one you like better for yourself. As long as you can get accurate temps measured, it is up to you how you do it.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk