Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,937

1 members and 2,936 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
    Thanks

New python addition help!

So yeah...I went and got another one... After getting regina comfortable and having her added into the family and all, I have become really attached so much that I went ahead and made the decision to get some Animal PLastics T8's for the little things. But THe recent addition has me worried the store has at least from perspective Abused this animal and I need help getting him back on track.

Now, those blackspots as far as I can tell aren't mites they aren't moving At all I brush my fingers along them and try to agrivate them etc they don't move. The only trace of mites I have seen is on some Feces that had almost gnat sized grey-white insects(I use reptibark so i think wood mites) All over it I cleaned it out and checked the enclosure and the water container and still looks like dirt in bowl. Should I treat anyways? I also can't seem to fix the skin crinkles the store said he had a splinter in him at one point(I kind of just looked at them stupid at that point) and much complaining about their enclosure(Which made pet-smart display units look like pieces of paradise!)

A picture of the Feces is here: Which also does not look very healthy. My reptile vet is not always in and I must wait until thursday to show him(If this is not urgent I will try to wait until I get a good feces sample without bugs...)

I could really use some help in trying to fix his nice scale hide that dryness looks very uncomfortable but no matter how much I spray, he does not seem to get that away other than the visuals though the snake itself behaves normal there aren't any unusual movements or whatnot stays hidden most of the time but still thermo-regulates. I am also afraid of soaking him too much or spraying more due to illnesses involving too much humidity scale rot, RI's.
    Last edited by VereMyth; 09-18-2018 at 07:17 AM.

Thanks
    If you see larva in the stool that be worms, but zooming in on the picture it really looks like mites to me, and some stuck shed,maybe a damp paper run along your animal to see what you get off, sorry you are having these issues I know someone with more experience will chime in any moment.. ~healing hugs from across the miles ~
    Domestic Short Hair - Miss Becky
    Russian Blue - Church
    Miniature Poodle - Pierre LaPoodlePants
    Banana BP - Yuri Katsuki

Thanks
    Those little white bugs look like wood mites. I found some in Rei's substrate a couple weeks ago(I use repti-bark on top of coconut husk for aesthetics and humidity) and I got a fright too, but I checked Rei and found nothing on her and did some research and they're not harmful afaik, they're just wood mites.
    I'm not worried about the little bugs like that as long as they are not a parasite to my snake.
    0.1 Bumblebee Ball Python(Rei)
    0.1 Coastal Carpet Python(Mosaic)
    1.0 B.E.L Ball Python(Aspen)
    0.1 Hypo Aztec Jungle BCI(Rowan)

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The issue with the skin look to me like dried shed plus dirt/poop stuck to it (keep in mind I have not seen the animal in person). Sadly when you have anything like albinos it's hard to keep them clean, and stuck shed is not a big issue a warm damp towel will do the trick, simply let it slither through it or rub those spots off gently.

As far as feces it can be wood mites, it can be larva from gnats or fruit flies as well if you have some or it can be something else, having a fecal does not hurt, if you still have the feces put them in the fridge and bring them to your vet and have a fecal done.

With new addition I would highly recommend to do a preventive treatment for mites regardless just because all it takes his 1. Provent a mite will be you best choice and will take care of mites and eggs.
    Deborah Stewart

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

dr del (09-18-2018),MD_Pythons (09-19-2018)

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    I haven't seen it mentioned yet, but make sure you're following proper quarantine procedures.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

dr del (09-18-2018)

Thanks

Re: New python addition help!

Quote Originally Posted by craigafrechette View Post
    I haven't seen it mentioned yet, but make sure you're following proper quarantine procedures.

Reading the quarantine procedures now and I basically have everything set like that I stopped handling the new guy except to get him to slither through a warm wet paper towel here and there to try and get that horrid shed he had off.
    After handling I immediately go and hand wash in the sink Though changing clothes was something I never thought about.
    Can someone help me with a process of getting rid of wood mites in my repti-bark? A walk-through of a baking or something would be helpful and appreciated!

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by VereMyth View Post
    Reading the quarantine procedures now and I basically have everything set like that I stopped handling the new guy except to get him to slither through a warm wet paper towel here and there to try and get that horrid shed he had off.
    After handling I immediately go and hand wash in the sink Though changing clothes was something I never thought about.
    Can someone help me with a process of getting rid of wood mites in my repti-bark? A walk-through of a baking or something would be helpful and appreciated!

Do you have the new snake in a different room from your other snake?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by craigafrechette View Post
    Do you have the new snake in a different room from your other snake?
    Yes, the newer snake is in a different room until I get the T8's from animal plastics.

How would I go about making sure substrate is clean of mites before adding it? I have people baking it on a cookie sheet? Or freezing it?

Thanks

Looks like a bad shed. He is rubbing the wood to get it off.. try to put him in a warm bath for 10 min. After that let him crawl into a towel and put him back.

I don’t think these are mites..