Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,796

1 members and 2,795 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,078
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RaginBull
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,791 Times in 11,826 Posts

Re: Taking day off to care for ill non-traditional/exotic pet

Quote Originally Posted by Traceur View Post
    The sad thing is that all hamsters have that trait where getting a tumor is inevitable. We owned a dwarf hamster (life span is like 2-3 years, he lived up to almost 5). He had 2 or 3 tumors when he started getting older and kept having constant seizures before he passed
    But factually, it's kind of sad knowing that all hamsters can get tumors pretty easily because it runs in their genes. Some get them quickly, while others get them in a longer span of time. And I'm sorry for your loss; just know that you were there for him and you did what you could.
    That's news to me...where are you getting this information, that they "all get tumors"? (I used to breed hamsters, but was careful not to inbreed them.)
    Now most creatures, including humans, can get tumors "easily" when they get older, but that's not the same thing as an absolute.

Thanks

Also, don't ever feel guilty over the loss of a pet, regardless of animal or breed. When our dwarf hamster died, I had to take a day off because I was sad as hell. I couldn't face a day after his death. I also took a day off when our Pomeranian died (she was like a sister to me). That's basically you're family and another soul you cared for. Even if it's to care for them, don't feel guilty for taking that day off. It's either being there for them in their last moments or while they're suffering or leaving them alone to handle it by themselves. I bet they appreciate your company; all animals are intelligent enough to know you care for them. I'm sure he died happy knowing you took the time to be there for him.
    My best friend is a cat.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    That's news to me...where are you getting this information, that they "all get tumors"? (I used to breed hamsters, but was careful not to inbreed them.)
    Now most creatures, including humans, can get tumors "easily" when they get older, but that's not the same thing as an absolute.
    Ah, I both read and heard it somewhere a long damn time ago. Hamsters have strange genes. It just runs in their species, like its part of their DNA. That's why it's common to hear hamsters getting tumors as they grow older. I personally go against breeding, but regardless of inbreeding or not, it's still in their DNA.
    My best friend is a cat.

Thanks

Ah, I both read and heard it somewhere a long damn time ago. Hamsters have strange genes. It just runs in their species, like its part of their DNA. That's why it's common to hear hamsters getting tumors as they grow older. I personally go against breeding, but regardless of inbreeding or not, it's still in their DNA.
    But like I said, i read and heard it somewhere a long time ago. Unless it affects specific breeds, then the only thing I know is it sure as heck happens more often than it should in hamster populations
    My best friend is a cat.

Thanks
    Thanked 19,791 Times in 11,826 Posts

I think it's likely due to inbreeding, and there's multiple breeds, they aren't all the same. The original pet hamsters were Syrians, and yes, ALL the captive-bred
    Syrian hamsters came from a single pair of them that were originally-captured from the wild...so it's inevitable for genetic problems to become established.
    But I still suspect it's an over-statement to say "they all are predisposed to forming tumors" any more than all other aging mammals are. The only hamsters
    that I worked with were Russian dwarfs...I really like them because they're more social (with each other).

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    I think it's likely due to inbreeding, and there's multiple breeds, they aren't all the same. The original pet hamsters were Syrians, and yes, ALL the captive-bred
    Syrian hamsters came from a single pair of them that were originally-captured from the wild...so it's inevitable for genetic problems to become established.
    But I still suspect it's an over-statement to say "they all are predisposed to forming tumors" any more than all other aging mammals are. The only hamsters
    that I worked with were Russian dwarfs...I really like them because they're more social (with each other).
    I looked into it and here's what I found;

According to PetMD: An abnormal growth of cells in a tissue or organ is referred to as a tumor, of which there are two types: benign and malignant. Benign tumors, which do not spread, are much more common in hamsters. Malignant tumors (or cancers), meanwhile, may develop in one location such as the hormone-producing glands or digestive system organs and spread into other body parts. Only four percent of hamsters suffer from maligma.

Causes:
    Both genetic and environmental factors are thought to play a part in the abnormal multiplication of cells, which leads to tumor formation.

I also did see on another forums page that hamsters are prone to tumors (or cancers).
    My best friend is a cat.

Thanks

According to PetKeepersGuide: Yes, it is quite common for hamsters to develop tumors, and they are very prone to cancer as they get older. The most common type of cancer is in the thyroid, but it is not uncommon for a hamster to grow a fatal skin tumor.
    My best friend is a cat.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12