Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,047

0 members and 2,047 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
    Thanks

Wild caught logs cleaning?

Went out on the trail and happened across two fallen log pieces, both have a great natural look and both have lichen/mossy stuff on them. I have seen that people pick them up and cook them for some time to sanitize for their enclosures- but what is the tried and true process for it?

is there a way I can do it while keeping the bark/lichen look?

Both piwces are a littlw damp, and both smaller than a foot in length.
    1.0 Cinny-Pewter 0.1 Bumblebee het Albino 0.1 Cinnamon Queen Bee 0.1 Albino Spider 1.0 Mojave het OG 0.1 Mystic 1.0 GHI 1.0 Normal 0.1 Honey Het Red Axanthic

1.0 Platinum Reticulated Python

Thanks
    I think the oven method work best if your desired effect is to try to keep it more the way it is, I believe it is put in your oven @ lowest temp yours can go for an hour or so? I never done this myself so sure someone with more experience will chime in any moment.. Best wishes always..
    Domestic Short Hair - Miss Becky
    Russian Blue - Church
    Miniature Poodle - Pierre LaPoodlePants
    Banana BP - Yuri Katsuki

Thanks
    Thanked 19,791 Times in 11,826 Posts
    I'm not so sure the lichens will survive, but what I've done (for pieces that actually fit in my oven, which admittedly, hasn't been many) is to spray them wet
    with the diluted chlorhexidine* (or similar product, I've used others too, like F10 & Nolvasan*) that I clean cages with, then bake them @ 250* for an hour or so.
    The reason for the spray is to kill pathogens left by birds & other wildlife...things that might not die off in the oven. Never had any negative issues that I know
    of from using such branches, and the bigger branches don't even get baked...only on my hot sunny driveway, but they tend to get re-sprayed a couple times.
    (also use a wire brush to remove any loose bark first)(*and just don't use any diluted bleach solution for this as the fumes will never come out of porous wood,
    & they'll be toxic to your animals)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

inca-kola (10-02-2018)

Thanks
    I have to admit that from your thread title, I pictured you trying to catch these & some of them getting away...

Thanks

Re: Wild caught logs cleaning?

I was hoping it would sound funny, but it reads so awkward

I have chlorahexidine for the snakes, so I'll do a good spray and a scrub before the oven.

Too bad about the bark and lichen though- they really tied the log together! Also does the type of wood matter? I'm not sure of the type I picked up. It's going to end up in a rat snakes viv and a bts viv.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    1.0 Cinny-Pewter 0.1 Bumblebee het Albino 0.1 Cinnamon Queen Bee 0.1 Albino Spider 1.0 Mojave het OG 0.1 Mystic 1.0 GHI 1.0 Normal 0.1 Honey Het Red Axanthic

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Cass For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (09-17-2018)

Thanks
    About the only branches I wouldn't use are cedar...many of mine are oak because that's what's around. If you notice a scent, you might also consider coating
    them with a no-VOC waterproofing product...it's totally snake-cage-safe when dry & would help the branches shed cage dirt in the future too. But as much as
    I think it's a good idea, I haven't bothered coating my branches...it's so easy to just get more...but that might be a consideration if yours were hard to come by,
    especially if they fought hard to avoid being caught?

And yeah, sorry about the bark & lichens but that's where most of the issues are. Once in a while, one of my un-baked branches will come with a beetle-
    as far as I can tell they're harmless & remain in the branch, slowly chewing holes in it...I only know because I'll find a tiny 1" pile of wood dust under the
    hole they made.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 09-17-2018 at 08:41 PM.

Thanks

Yeah I'll probably do that then! There was a few chew tracks from I'm assuming bugs and/or worms.

One of the ends was essentially saw dust and I knocked it all off- I'm more than sure bugs live in it.

I'll post pics once it's done- and one of how the logs looked pre-scrub

Thanks

And yes- the Logs fought valiantly till the bitter end.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Cass For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (09-17-2018)

Thanks
    My "toughest" branch was actually floating in the Buffalo River...I loved the graceful multi-curves & couldn't resist dragging it back from a kayak float, lol...
    (and I dried it & re-sprayed it several times before I trusted it in the cage...but my big 7' Florida male rat snake loves it, so it was all worth the effort!)
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 09-17-2018 at 09:03 PM.