Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,683

2 members and 1,681 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,092
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
    Thanks

Night viewing light.

I'm going to be getting a ball python soon and was wanting to get a light for at night so I won't have to turn the actual light on. Not necessarily one for heat, just something that can be kept on for viewing that won't disturb the snake.

Thanks
    Thanked 19,822 Times in 11,841 Posts
    I use black incandescent bulbs. They do add heat but I use them with a rheostat (lamp dimmer switch) & keep them low...my spotted python LOVES to bask
    under it all night long, & some of my other snakes like them too (especially in colder weather, my Trans Pecos rat snakes are nocturnal desert species that use
    them also.) Black bulbs add a purplish light, nothing bright.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (09-17-2018)

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    I use the same lights Bogertophis uses. On thermostats. As long as ALL heat sources are regulated by a thermostat you'll have no issues.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    If you want lights that don't also produce heat (which you might, if you have other heat sources dialed in already or if your house is warm enough that you don't want to add more heat to the cage, etc) you can get LED strip lights in a kit with a dimmer. You can set them really dim so that you can just see in, but it's not actually any brighter than a night with a full moon. They're pretty inexpensive. Just exercise a little common sense in how you mount the strip. They generally have adhesive on the back, so you need to either permanently cover or remove the adhesive before attaching them inside some other way, or stick them to the outside of the cage facing in. Don't use the adhesive to stick them to the inside of the cage!!

In any case, they're inexpensive and if you decide you don't like them on your cage you can use them lots of other places.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Coluber42 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (09-17-2018),Mr. Misha (09-17-2018)

Thanks

Lightbulb Re: Night viewing light.

Like it's been mentioned before, LEDs are a great accessory for a terrarium. I did a lighting setup back in 14 and they all still work perfectly! Here's the write up:
    https://ball-pythons.net/forums/show...a-AP-T12/page8

Also, here's a study on what light spectrum BP can see. It's quite interesting.
    https://ball-pythons.net/forums/show...um-can-BPs-see
    0.1 Reg. BP Het. Albino (Faye),
    1.0 Albino BP (Henry),
    0.1 Pastave BP Het. Pied (Kira)
    1.0 Pied BP (Sam)
    1.0 Bumble Bee BP (Izzy)

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mr. Misha For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (09-17-2018),Tessellate (09-17-2018)

Thanks

Re: Night viewing light.

I used to use the black heat "night time" bulb when I first got him - but once it burned out I switched to a CHE on both sides of the cage. I don't get to see him as much at night, but I'm also not up as late now that I am out of collage. He also *loves* to wedge his head in the grove of the sliding glass door of his AP cage and the only way I can prevent this is to hang a dark towel over that side of the cage (on the outside). He seems to think this makes it a solid wall and moves to the other side to surf the walls where his head does not fit...snek not that smart

he wall surfs from about ten pm to midnight then goes back in a hide. Does it longer as he gets hungry, but usually once the "curtain" comes down he finds somewhere else to be. So I can't actually see him even if I had a night bulb
    No cage is too large - nature is the best template - a snoot can't be booped too much