Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,490

0 members and 1,490 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,533
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Question Looking for info on breeding

Hi, I'm looking for Comprehensive info on breeding BP's, its not something im sure i want to do but i figure i have a good amount of time to do research and decide. Is there anyplace with all the info i could need, from lower and raising temps, how long to wait from raising the temps to pairing? how long i should keep the male in and how many times i should pair, should i give the male a break between females? how much of a break? ETC. ETC.

I would love to try and make some of the morphs i want but idk if its for me and i have taken into account possible vet bills and such. just looking for breeding info and so i can take my time to decide. Also maybe a place that explains certain morphs and what exactly the genes are usually used for and how to identify morphs like Leopard and clown and such. There are so many morphs out there and some of them look the same to me since im not quite sure what im looking for in them. Thanks a bunch everyone.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,106 Times in 1,195 Posts

Re: Looking for info on breeding

If you do an internet search for “breeding ball pythons” you will get search results from reputable breeders sharing all the information you could imagine.
    There is also a plethora of breeding knowledge right here on the forum. That is about as comprehensive as you will ever find.
    The first search result from Google is a quality Markus Jayne article.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Godzilla78 For This Useful Post:

Ronniex2 (09-28-2018),TLChris (09-17-2018)

BPnet Senior Member Hannahshissyfix's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,390 Times in 619 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TLChris View Post
    Hi, I'm looking for Comprehensive info on breeding BP's, its not something im sure i want to do but i figure i have a good amount of time to do research and decide. Is there anyplace with all the info i could need, from lower and raising temps, how long to wait from raising the temps to pairing? how long i should keep the male in and how many times i should pair, should i give the male a break between females? how much of a break? ETC. ETC.

I would love to try and make some of the morphs i want but idk if its for me and i have taken into account possible vet bills and such. just looking for breeding info and so i can take my time to decide. Also maybe a place that explains certain morphs and what exactly the genes are usually used for and how to identify morphs like Leopard and clown and such. There are so many morphs out there and some of them look the same to me since im not quite sure what im looking for in them. Thanks a bunch everyone.
    Do you currently have any?

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Hannahshissyfix For This Useful Post:

TLChris (09-17-2018)

Sometimes It Hurts... PitOnTheProwl's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,985 Times in 4,274 Posts
    You are already on the site. Try using the search bar and plan on reading a lot.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PitOnTheProwl For This Useful Post:

C.Marie (09-17-2018),Craiga 01453 (09-17-2018),TLChris (09-17-2018)

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    This forum, Google....and let's not forget good ole' books.
    People have been learning since the dawn of time.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

TLChris (09-17-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hannahshissyfix View Post
    Do you currently have any?

yes i do, 5 all young. and i owned some in the past but had to give them away do to financial issues at the time but now things are stable.

BPnet Senior Member Hannahshissyfix's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,390 Times in 619 Posts

yes i do, 5 all young. and i owned some in the past but had to give them away do to financial issues at the time but now things are stable.
    Oh ok I was confused by your wording of needing help identifying morphs as if you didnt already have some or know what they were to plan your project lol

Thanks
    Thanked 2,135 Times in 1,197 Posts

The first question should always be, "Why do you want to breed?. From there you should ask "What you want to breed?". Then you should ask "Will the animals that are a result from breeding be marketable and if they don't sell can you care for ALL of them?" "How?" should not be on the list till you answer the above questions.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Skyrivers For This Useful Post:

Alter-Echo (09-17-2018),Godzilla78 (09-17-2018),TLChris (09-17-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Skyrivers View Post
    The first question should always be, "Why do you want to breed?. From there you should ask "What you want to breed?". Then you should ask "Will the animals that are a result from breeding be marketable and if they don't sell can you care for ALL of them?" "How?" should not be on the list till you answer the above questions.
    Why: I want to produce some amazing morphs I have seen and enjoy but dont want to just go out and buy. I enjoy the process of making things always have so I believe there will be a special appreciation for animals produced myself. Also I've bred Leopard geckos before and it was just another deeper step into that hobby that i enjoyed greatly and i feel it would be the same for Ball Pythons.

What: Mostly Pied, Axanthic and banana stuff currently but im not going to jump head first into breeding 10 snakes and hoping for the best.

Yes i would be able to afford the babies if they don't sell which is why im not jumping head first into it and not looking to breed more than 1 or 2 snake. Personally though I dont believe HOW should be the last thing you ask since its still important info that might change someones thoughts on whether or not its something they want to do. especially like i said im not looking to do this tomorrow, I have a long while to consider this and im just looking for as much info as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Hannahshissyfix View Post
    Oh ok I was confused by your wording of needing help identifying morphs as if you didnt already have some or know what they were to plan your project lol

i guess best way to explain for me would be a clown. For awhile if you were to put a clown in front of me I wouldn't be able to identify it as such, Nor would i be able to plan a pairing around the clown because I was unsure of how it usually expresses itself. if that makes sense. There are still morphs out there that i have some problems with so i was just wondering if there was a place i could go look and read about them so I dont have to bombard the forum with questions.

Sometimes It Hurts... PitOnTheProwl's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,985 Times in 4,274 Posts
    Last edited by PitOnTheProwl; 09-17-2018 at 09:06 PM. Reason: Wrong link..

16. The Following User Says Thank You to PitOnTheProwl For This Useful Post:

TLChris (09-18-2018)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast