Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,859

0 members and 2,859 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks

Re: Cali King regurgitated

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    OP, you also brought up more information about the feeders, but it was in another thread (from 2017) & belongs here.

The store needs education: if they buy in bulk & then have to partly thaw feeders to separate them, they may be causing spoilage...
    I'd for sure (!) let them know you've been having problems!

It would also be a very good idea to offer smaller feeders next time though...and speaking of "next time", once a snake has regurgitated a
    meal, you don't want to feed it again too soon. "Too soon" is your normal feeding intervals...you need to wait at least a week or two longer
    before you give any food. It's "possible" that nothing was wrong with the feeder or even his cage temps. (though that remains to be seen?)
    but once a snake has up-chucked a meal, they REQUIRE extra time to re-establish their digestive enzymes...without that extra time, they
    are very likely to regurgitate the next meal...and this can even be fatal after a few times (from dehydration etc) so it's not a suggestion
    you should ignore. Please, let this snake rest for not less than 3-4 weeks now, before you offer any food, and only offer smaller, easier to
    digest prey, not his normal size meal, at that time.
    Ok thanks. I will wait 4 weeks just to be safe and give him one size down from his normal size. I'll also buy feeders from a different store just to be safe. Next summer I won't mess around with their room temperature. I'll leave it hot and humid and sleep in the cool living room with the cats!

Thanks
    Thanked 19,791 Times in 11,826 Posts
    And thank YOU for taking in this poor little 'dumped' snake...

Snakes that bite themselves sometimes are suffering from intestinal parasites...have you ever gotten a fresh stool sample -his, of course - seen by a vet?
    Parasites grow more numerous when food is increased, but can eventually cause regurges & even death of the snake: be careful how fast you de-worm him,
    IF the vet finds that to be an issue...as a sudden large die-off of internal parasites can block off critical internal organs & therefore cause them to fail. I've
    had good luck in the past using repeated but lower doses to de-worm snakes...as in, "better safe than sorry".

And hopefully this (parasites, aka "worms") isn't the case at all, but it's just another possibility that I would recommend looking into. His regurge isn't limited to
    only one cause anyway...just want to cover all the bases here. All the best with him...that's so cool that he's got so much room to roam in his enclosure.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,106 Times in 1,195 Posts

Agree with others that the temperature controls on his environment are not good, and very likely the cause.
    I measure temps with a dual-laser thermometer, and a mercury style thermometer, and regulate temps with a thermostat probe and a lamp dimmer.
    A 150 watt lamp is fine, but you must use a dimmer switch and tone it down, and measure temps of the enclosure to fit a kingsnake’s natural environment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Godzilla78 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (09-16-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla78 View Post
    Agree with others that the temperature controls on his environment are not good, and very likely the cause.
    I measure temps with a dual-laser thermometer, and a mercury style thermometer, and regulate temps with a thermostat probe and a lamp dimmer.
    A 150 watt lamp is fine, but you must use a dimmer switch and tone it down, and measure temps of the enclosure to fit a kingsnake’s natural environment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thought I might be the only one using some old-fashioned "mercury style thermometers" but I too find them reliable & pretty accurate...ie. useful.

A big YES to a lamp dimmer...aka "rheostats" & you can buy them inexpensively at any hardware store, either "a la carte" or already installed in an extension cord.

Thanks

I tried feeding him again today with a fuzzie and although he went for it, its as if he could not get it down. I am taking him to the Vet on Monday. He has started acting strange.
    Last edited by squatsnstilettos; 09-29-2018 at 07:35 PM.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to squatsnstilettos For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (09-29-2018)

Thanks

And thank YOU for taking in this poor little 'dumped' snake...

Snakes that bite themselves sometimes are suffering from intestinal parasites...have you ever gotten a fresh stool sample -his, of course - seen by a vet?
    Parasites grow more numerous when food is increased, but can eventually cause regurges & even death of the snake: be careful how fast you de-worm him,
    IF the vet finds that to be an issue...as a sudden large die-off of internal parasites can block off critical internal organs & therefore cause them to fail. I've
    had good luck in the past using repeated but lower doses to de-worm snakes...as in, "better safe than sorry".

And hopefully this (parasites, aka "worms") isn't the case at all, but it's just another possibility that I would recommend looking into. His regurge isn't limited to
    only one cause anyway...just want to cover all the bases here. All the best with him...that's so cool that he's got so much room to roam in his enclosure.
    Thanks. He has not bitten himself since I have had him. It was only when he was at the store. Yeah he loves his large space. He can stretch out fully and go for "walks". He even has his own wheels! A ceramic car with the center hollowed out.
    Last edited by squatsnstilettos; 09-29-2018 at 07:39 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by squatsnstilettos View Post
    I tried feeding him again today with a fuzzie and although he went for it, its as if he could not get it down. I am taking him to the Vet on Monday. He has started acting strange.
    Something isn't right...I'm so glad you're taking him to the vet...take a fresh stool sample too, if you can. Fingers crossed for you (& him) that it's an easy fix.
    Be sure to tell the vet about him biting himself, even though it was only in the past...it's still significant.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 09-29-2018 at 08:10 PM.

Thanks

Something isn't right...I'm so glad you're taking him to the vet...take a fresh stool sample too, if you can. Fingers crossed for you (& him) that it's an easy fix.
    Be sure to tell the vet about him biting himself, even though it was only in the past...it's still significant.
    Thanks...I will tell the vet all I know. I would take a stool sample but he has not eaten in 6 weeks. I plan on having my Python checked too so when she final does poo, I'll bring it to the Vets.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12