Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 807

2 members and 805 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,077
Threads: 248,523
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: Injured Petsmart BP

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Looks like the injury is healing OK, but in order to heal better he needs nutrition too. If he was at my house, I'd tube-feed him thinned Gerber's chicken
    baby food w/ reptile vits added; it's fairly easy to do & very digestible... Poor little guy! I'm so glad he has you to watch over him.

In those first pictures his head looks so big compared to his skinny neck! But at least he's hanging in there...thank you for the update...I'll keep him in
    my good thoughts for sure.
    I brought up maybe force feeding him a pinkie just to get something in his stomach, but no one was really up to try other than me. If it comes down tk him not eating when they try again tomorrow (he probably wont, since they try to soak him twice a day), ill see if i can convince someone to let me try to get some food in him. If i do, ill update about it, and make sure no one touches him for a few days.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

The more silent you become, the more you are able to hear...

​1.0 Super Cinny Banana Het Ghost BP - "Churro"
    1.0 Mack Snow Leopard Gecko
    0.1 Normal Leopard Gecko

Thanks
    At the current moment, I do have a small plan hatching in my mind. I might stop by my local reptile guy, he often takes in sick animals, or at least raises those unable to be homed. I may take the little guy home myself to make sure he heals up nicely, if he can take him in when im done, if im not too attached already.

I have a feeling this is about to be a long progression thread.

0.1 Normal Leopard Gecko

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Slicercrush For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (09-17-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,694 Times in 1,076 Posts
    Welcome to the taking animals home. That is how I got Odyn. Eye caps ans troubled eater. I took him home and now he is a fat eye problem child whom I just love to Death!
    ~Sunny~
    Booplesnoop
    Coilsome, Odyn, & Eeden AKA theLittleOne

0:1 Pastel Het Red Day Chocolate
    1:0 Normal
    0:0:1 Pueblan milk snake

*~* Nothing sticky (tape, stick on gauges, Velcro) goes into your enclosure! Again...NOTHING sticky goes into your enclosure....EVER! *~*

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Sunnieskys For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (09-17-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sunnieskys View Post
    Welcome to the taking animals home. That is how I got Odyn. Eye caps ans troubled eater. I took him home and now he is a fat eye problem child whom I just love to Death!
    Any advice on the eyecaps?

0.1 Normal Leopard Gecko

Thanks
    Thanked 19,790 Times in 11,825 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Slicercrush View Post
    I brought up maybe force feeding him a pinkie just to get something in his stomach, but no one was really up to try other than me. If it comes down tk him not eating when they try again tomorrow (he probably wont, since they try to soak him twice a day), ill see if i can convince someone to let me try to get some food in him. If i do, ill update about it, and make sure no one touches him for a few days.

I'm personally not a fan of force-feeding solid food...you can get a much better quality & quantity of food into a weak snake by tube-feeding...have you ever done that?
    If you need tips on 'how-to' just holler...and you're right, since he has multiple issues it's HIGHLY unlikely that he'll eat after being handled & soaked b.i.d. (twice/day).

Hint: this is what you use to "tube-feed"- it's a very flexible round-tipped human medical-grade urethral catheter...the holes are NEAR the tip but not right at the
    end, so it's gentle to tissues when inserted into a snake's throat.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 09-17-2018 at 11:17 PM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

dr del (09-18-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    I'm personally not a fan of force-feeding solid food...you can get a much better quality & quantity of food into a weak snake by tube-feeding...have you ever done that?
    If you need tips on 'how-to' just holler...and you're right, since he has multiple issues it's HIGHLY unlikely that he'll eat after being handled & soaked b.i.d. (twice/day).

Hint: this is what you use to "tube-feed"- it's a very flexible round-tipped human medical-grade urethral catheter...the holes are NEAR the tip but not right at the
    end, so it's gentle to tissues when inserted into a snake's throat.
    Never really tube fed, if i can get the materials, pointers are hugely appreciated.

0.1 Normal Leopard Gecko

Thanks
    Thanked 1,694 Times in 1,076 Posts
    The question is: will they let you tube feed since it is not protocol?

I of of course break mine all the damn time since I know more...lol
    ~Sunny~
    Booplesnoop
    Coilsome, Odyn, & Eeden AKA theLittleOne

0:1 Pastel Het Red Day Chocolate
    1:0 Normal
    0:0:1 Pueblan milk snake

*~* Nothing sticky (tape, stick on gauges, Velcro) goes into your enclosure! Again...NOTHING sticky goes into your enclosure....EVER! *~*

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sunnieskys View Post
    The question is: will they let you tube feed since it is not protocol?

I of of course break mine all the damn time since I know more...lol
    Doubt they would. Probably cant do it unless i take him home, which is probably gonna happen as long as the rest of the household is fine with a snake kept somewhere else in the house for quarentine for a few months.

0.1 Normal Leopard Gecko

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Slicercrush For This Useful Post:

Sunnieskys (09-17-2018)

Thanks

Doubt they would. Probably cant do it unless i take him home, which is probably gonna happen as long as the rest of the household is fine with a snake kept somewhere else in the house for quarentine for a few months.

Then again, pretty sure we already have. They probably would let me, the more i think about it.

0.1 Normal Leopard Gecko

Thanks
    Thanked 19,790 Times in 11,825 Posts

Never really tube fed, if i can get the materials, pointers are hugely appreciated.

Snakes are pretty easy to tube-feed- use a human urethral catheter* (10-12 Fr size usually) & a syringe. Use Gerber's chicken baby food, thinned enough so it goes thru tube easily. (online the Bean Farm supplies them, it's under "health care") Gerbers chicken is the best baby food I know of for this purpose, it's easily digested with no sugar or corn syrup etc. like in other brands. It's only chicken, water & cornstarch. I usually use a drop of vegetable oil on the catheter, to make it more slippery. First get the snake to drink water to lubricate their throat- if you hold their head under a trickle from faucet they usually drink, or tip their face to water bowl. (If you forget or cannot do this, the other way to lubricate their throat is just to push the plunger very slightly so a little of the mixture comes out at the top of their throat, right after you begin the insertion)

Make sure to expel the air in the catheter...you want the "snake-shake" to drip out the end of the catheter just before you put it into the snake's mouth/throat. Gently use the catheter tip to open the snake's mouth & gently slide the tubing in until you feel resistance: stop! the catheter should be in far enough. IF you depress the plunger on the syringe and see the liquid in the snake's mouth, you aren't in far enough, so try again to go further...just be gentle. (you might estimate ahead of time about how far the catheter will go in, based on the length of the snake you're trying to feed- roughly the distance from mouth to top of stomach- about 1/4 to 1/3 of the total body length)

Remember that a tube-feeding is for quick energy....like the I.V. we cannot give them...DO NOT try to feed the same amount as the solid food you wish they were eating...this will be less but very effective anyway. And for snakes needing hydration too, this will be far more digestible than solid food would be.

Tips: Do this where you can have the snake lying flat on a towel. If you're gentle & persistent but not overly-forceful, you'll have less of a battle with the snake. Obviously you have to restrain them, but be flexible...it's a give & take. When you're done, slide the tubing out -it may catch just a bit on their teeth, and also trigger a bit of a gag reflex as you pull it out- I massage their throat if they act as if trying to upchuck, & they usually keep it down. BTW, I've always done this single-handedly...so if you don't have someone to restrain the snake, don't worry...if I can do it, you can too.

Important: Keep the snake's head above their body when you carefully put them back in their cage -for obvious reason, what slides in can slide back out... then let them rest.

Afterthoughts:
    Add water to some chicken baby food so it's thin enough to go thru the tubing...test first, not on the snake...nothing worse than getting the tube into the snake & then having trouble pushing the plunger on the syringe...you want this to go as smoothly for the snake as possible, obviously. You can also add vitamins, minerals (for reptiles) or meds (those meant to be taken with food) to the "snake-shake" too.

You sure won't need a whole jar of Gerbers for a little snake, btw...you can freeze the rest of the open jar by dropping spoonfuls of the Gerbers onto a piece of foil or on a plate in the freezer...once frozen, store the frozen lumps in a plastic baggie or other container in freezer for future use. It will keep better & much longer this way than in fridge...

Any questions? Just ask...I've successfully tube-fed various snakes over the years...honestly it's the most useful thing I've ever learned to do for saving snakes. A snake that is too weak or ill to eat on their own will be in a downward spiral towards death, just as we'd be in the hospital without an I.V. to regain our strength & normal appetite.

Last edited by Bogertophis; 09-17-2018 at 11:39 PM.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

dr del (09-18-2018),Erin_g11 (09-18-2018)

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast