Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,714

2 members and 2,712 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bulb question

Thanks

Re: Bulb question

Quote Originally Posted by boidavid View Post
    Black lights designed for the old velvet posters and Halloween decorations (they produce the glowing effect) produce uvb C which is said to be harmful.

Sent from my 5049Z using Tapatalk
    Ah, now I see! That's good to know

Thanks
    Thanked 19,793 Times in 11,827 Posts
    I'll jump in & tell you that I use red OR black incandescent bulbs to add a little overhead warmth for some of my snakes...they do not seem bothered by
    either one & they definitely don't like bright lights, so red or black bulbs are much better than regular white incandescent bulbs (& for most of our snakes).
    I do agree with Coluber42's explanation...CHEs are a good option too, depending on what you're keeping & how much warmth you need them for.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 09-14-2018 at 12:43 AM.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Sonny1318 (09-14-2018),Traceur (09-14-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    I'll jump in & tell you that I use red OR black incandescent bulbs to add a little overhead warmth for some of my snakes...they do not seem bothered by
    either one & they definitely don't like bright lights, so red or black bulbs are much better than regular white incandescent bulbs (& for most of our snakes).
    I do agree with Coluber42's explanation...CHEs are a good option too, depending on what you're keeping & how much warmth you need them for.
    Thanks for explaining. I might get a CHE if I see one next time I go to my local pet store. But for now, I'll have to get a 75 watt black bulb instead; the 50 watt wasn't hot enough. So I'll definately be back there tomorrow

Thank you

Thanks
    Thanked 1,694 Times in 1,076 Posts
    I use Che s for my ball pythons. They dont need any light from a bulb. They get daylight from the window. If you want to see them with the red or black, cool. If not, get a Che.
    ~Sunny~
    Booplesnoop
    Coilsome, Odyn, & Eeden AKA theLittleOne

0:1 Pastel Het Red Day Chocolate
    1:0 Normal
    0:0:1 Pueblan milk snake

*~* Nothing sticky (tape, stick on gauges, Velcro) goes into your enclosure! Again...NOTHING sticky goes into your enclosure....EVER! *~*

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Sunnieskys For This Useful Post:

Traceur (09-14-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sunnieskys View Post
    I use Che s for my ball pythons. They dont need any light from a bulb. They get daylight from the window. If you want to see them with the red or black, cool. If not, get a Che.
    Sure thing! I'm still experimenting here and there with heating bulbs n such, so I'll definately give them a try when I can

Thanks
    I use lamp dimmers for all my incandescent lights...that's another reason they aren't very bright: I always dim them way down. It's just that some of my
    snakes like to bask overnight- my spotted python especially, on her driftwood, but also my Trans Pecos rat snakes like to snooze in their branches or in the
    baskets wired into them, so in winter, I "spoil" them with a little overhead warmth...& if it bothered them, they'd use another spot, but they seek it, and they
    also have UTH & hides on the floor of all cages. They just appear to LIKE to curl up in baskets...& it's SO cute! My Florida rat snakes & corn snakes all have
    baskets they use on & off too, even during the day.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Sonny1318 (09-14-2018),Traceur (09-14-2018)

Thanks

I use lamp dimmers for all my incandescent lights...that's another reason they aren't very bright: I always dim them way down. It's just that some of my
    snakes like to bask overnight- my spotted python especially, on her driftwood, but also my Trans Pecos rat snakes like to snooze in their branches or in the
    baskets wired into them, so in winter, I "spoil" them with a little overhead warmth...& if it bothered them, they'd use another spot, but they seek it, and they
    also have UTH & hides on the floor of all cages. They just appear to LIKE to curl up in baskets...& it's SO cute! My Florida rat snakes & corn snakes all have
    baskets they use on & off too, even during the day.
    Aw, how sweet! I bet they could tell that you love them It seems like everybody's ball pythons have a certain thing they commonly do here and another. So do they actually have their own individual personalities? Like cats and dogs? Does that mean my little one will have one of his own too?

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Traceur For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (09-14-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Traceur View Post
    Aw, how sweet! I bet they could tell that you love them It seems like everybody's ball pythons have a certain thing they commonly do here and another. So do they actually have their own individual personalities? Like cats and dogs? Does that mean my little one will have one of his own too?
    You bet they have their own personalities! And I like to offer options in their enclosures...sometimes they don't use right away...but after a week or so they finally
    trust it or figure out what it's good for, lol... The baskets are mostly shallow-bowl shaped, & you know how we always talk about snakes liking "back pressure" in their
    hides? I guess that's sort of the same thing, they like curling up against the sides of a basket. I just had a hunch, & when the first one worked, I furnished many of the
    other cages too...and yeah, it's adorable. Some have humid hides instead (my corn snakes, etc) & snakes love those too- I love their little noses peeking out at me.
    When they use these things I know for sure they really "approve" and they look so contented.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 09-14-2018 at 02:05 AM.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Traceur (09-14-2018)

Thanks

You bet they have their own personalities! And I like to offer options in their enclosures...sometimes they don't use right away...but after a week or so they finally
    trust it or figure out what it's good for, lol... The baskets are mostly shallow-bowl shaped, & you know how we always talk about snakes liking "back pressure" in their
    hides? I guess that's sort of the same thing, they like curling up against the sides of a basket. I just had a hunch, & when the first one worked, I furnished many of the
    other cages too...and yeah, it's adorable. Some have humid hides instead (my corn snakes, etc) & snakes love those too- I love their little noses peeking out at me.
    When they use these things I know for sure they really "approve" and they look so contented.
    Dang, you really have everything set up for them XD
    That's amazing too! You've already influenced an idea I'll have eventually for my own sooner or later. Golly, just hope he behaves himself when his personality adapts further. He really enjoys stressing me out and traumatizing me like there's no tomorrow

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Traceur View Post
    Dang, you really have everything set up for them XD
    That's amazing too! You've already influenced an idea I'll have eventually for my own sooner or later. Golly, just hope he behaves himself when his personality adapts further. He really enjoys stressing me out and traumatizing me like there's no tomorrow
    It's been many years but my first couple snakes felt like a 'trial by fire' too, but it made me fight harder to figure them out. You're lucky...you have all of us to ask.
    Part of what I love about keeping snakes is the creativity that it involves to get their environment just right to bring out their personality & keep them healthy.
    Anyway, you'll get there...

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Traceur (09-14-2018)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast