Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 128

4 members and 124 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.


» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 67,264
Threads: 241,881
Posts: 2,510,790
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Ocean_Drive_Royals
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 98
  1. #21
    Registered User Bogertophis's Avatar
    Join Date
    04-28-2018
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    10,802
    Thanks
    14,927
    Thanked 8,698 Times in 5,559 Posts
    I too am on a "no more reptiles" thing but that doesn't keep me from being jealous! And I love geckos, especially tokays (& used to keep them, I had one
    that could be handled too, without biting); I love the way they stick to glass, and especially the way they feel like rubber, plus those cute little toes! OMG!
    I can't look any more, I want one... You're off to a great start, Katie.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 09-14-2018 at 05:07 PM.

  2. #22
    Registered User SunshineWalker's Avatar
    Join Date
    09-09-2018
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    48
    Thanks
    14
    Thanked 128 Times in 35 Posts
    So, I would say that Esmeralda and I are off to a pretty good start. She has eaten twice (though never when I am looking - which is fine). I am even getting used to her jumping off me, and onto the bed, or wherever I am sitting. I don't panic as much, and am starting to be able to tell when she is about to take a flying leap. She seems to like to hang on my back... which admittedly I am not the biggest fan of... because then I can't see her cute little face or feet!

    I was a little nervous though, b/c after a week of being happy to come out and visit me... she turned into a crazy insane woman and tried to eat my hand. I understand that they can be cage aggressive, and I fear that the first week of "kind happy to see me" Ezzy lulled me into a false sense of security. I was not sure what to do. Dakski told me that this is not necessarily a bad thing as it can mean that she is really starting to feel "at home" in her new enclosure. I am less certain that this is the case.

    Also, we cleaned out the enclosure today and rotated her logs... So we can disinfect all the poo-poo logs. Unfortunately, I did not wedge the log in their well enough, and it fell, or slide (not sure which). Luckily Ezzy did not appear to be under the log at the time of the incident and has appeared to suffer no ill consequences from the earthquake. We were also able to install a light in the enclosure, so I will now be able to see her more easily. And, she will be able to have a kind of more structured "Day and Night." As she lives in my office which is not exactly in the sunniest section of the home.

    I have been reading up on leachies, and watching videos to learn more about the species. I still am rather feeling - less than confident on my skills at this point. Dakski has been taking the reigns on modifying the enclosure and otherwise making sure I don't screw up too much.

  3. The Following User Says Thank You to SunshineWalker For This Useful Post:

    Bogertophis (09-16-2018)

  4. #23
    Registered User Bogertophis's Avatar
    Join Date
    04-28-2018
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    10,802
    Thanks
    14,927
    Thanked 8,698 Times in 5,559 Posts

    Re: Esmeralda - Bayonnaise Leachie

    Quote Originally Posted by SunshineWalker View Post
    ...I have been reading up on leachies, and watching videos to learn more about the species. I still am rather feeling - less than
    confident on my skills at this point. Dakski has been taking the reigns on modifying the enclosure and otherwise making sure I don't screw up too much.
    Well, between the 2 of you I have NO doubt she's in great hands. That is surprising though, that now that she has 'settled in' more she comes after you some?
    I hope she calms down, but I also expect that you'll get better at "reading" her too. Maybe she feels 'safer' on your back? But I wouldn't want her there either.

  5. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

    dakski (09-16-2018)

  6. #24
    Registered User SunshineWalker's Avatar
    Join Date
    09-09-2018
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    48
    Thanks
    14
    Thanked 128 Times in 35 Posts

    Re: Esmeralda - Bayonnaise Leachie

    Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Well, between the 2 of you I have NO doubt she's in great hands. That is surprising though, that now that she has 'settled in' more she comes after you some?
    I hope she calms down, but I also expect that you'll get better at "reading" her too. Maybe she feels 'safer' on your back? But I wouldn't want her there either.
    Yes, she went from occasionally giving me a hiss, to actively trying to bite at me.

  7. #25
    Registered User Bogertophis's Avatar
    Join Date
    04-28-2018
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    10,802
    Thanks
    14,927
    Thanked 8,698 Times in 5,559 Posts

    Re: Esmeralda - Bayonnaise Leachie

    Quote Originally Posted by SunshineWalker View Post
    Yes, she went from occasionally giving me a hiss, to actively trying to bite at me.
    Does she act the same way with either of you? (what a little tyrant, lol...)

  8. #26
    BPnet Senior Member dakski's Avatar
    Join Date
    02-08-2014
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    3,129
    Thanks
    4,402
    Thanked 5,252 Times in 2,384 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Images: 134

    Re: Esmeralda - Bayonnaise Leachie

    Quote Originally Posted by SunshineWalker View Post
    So, I would say that Esmeralda and I are off to a pretty good start. She has eaten twice (though never when I am looking - which is fine). I am even getting used to her jumping off me, and onto the bed, or wherever I am sitting. I don't panic as much, and am starting to be able to tell when she is about to take a flying leap. She seems to like to hang on my back... which admittedly I am not the biggest fan of... because then I can't see her cute little face or feet!

    I was a little nervous though, b/c after a week of being happy to come out and visit me... she turned into a crazy insane woman and tried to eat my hand. I understand that they can be cage aggressive, and I fear that the first week of "kind happy to see me" Ezzy lulled me into a false sense of security. I was not sure what to do. Dakski told me that this is not necessarily a bad thing as it can mean that she is really starting to feel "at home" in her new enclosure. I am less certain that this is the case.

    Also, we cleaned out the enclosure today and rotated her logs... So we can disinfect all the poo-poo logs. Unfortunately, I did not wedge the log in their well enough, and it fell, or slide (not sure which). Luckily Ezzy did not appear to be under the log at the time of the incident and has appeared to suffer no ill consequences from the earthquake. We were also able to install a light in the enclosure, so I will now be able to see her more easily. And, she will be able to have a kind of more structured "Day and Night." As she lives in my office which is not exactly in the sunniest section of the home.

    I have been reading up on leachies, and watching videos to learn more about the species. I still am rather feeling - less than confident on my skills at this point. Dakski has been taking the reigns on modifying the enclosure and otherwise making sure I don't screw up too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by SunshineWalker View Post
    Yes, she went from occasionally giving me a hiss, to actively trying to bite at me.
    A few points of clarification, some cool pics, and solutions to the problem.

    1. Esmeralda (Ezzy) is a total sweetheart once out of her enclosure. She has made zero attempts to hiss, angrily click, or bite anyone outside of her enclosure. She calms down the second either me, or Katie, pick her up.

    2. The "attack/defense" happened late at night, about midnight. She was a) active, being nocturnal, and b) used to her enclosure and must have thought, "I must defend this house!"

    Yes, she hissed and lunged at Katie, in the tank, on her branch, several times. She did the same to me. I, for the moment, took a small (6oz) plastic cup and covered her head with it. At first she was able to maneuver around it and go for my hand. By the third try, I had it down pretty good and kept it gently pressed against her head and scooped her out. The second I had her out and the cup came off she was a totally different Leachie. Calm, happy noises, happy crawls, etc. No issues whatsoever. Literally night and day.

    A few things before I go on. Leachies are known, especially males, to be territorial/cage aggressive. If it feels like home, they will defend it! The good news with Ezzy is that she is a total sweetheart once out and about. Zero aggression/defensiveness. The same cannot be said for all Leachies, although many do calm down once out of their enclosure/home.

    It was also the first time she came out at night, when she's active. I think this was a big part of it as well.

    The solution:

    I got a pair of Welder's Gloves from Home Depot. Problem solved. Scoop her up with wearing those and have zero fear. She can't bite through the gloves and cause harm to our hands, and it gives Katie a lot more confidence.

    I saw a few youtube videos and they are standard accessories with Leachie breeders. They do not go in the Leachie enclosures without them on.

    We have taken her out during the day since, and aside from a few hisses, no lunges or aggression. However, those gloves will be commonplace when removing Ezzy from now on.

    I analogized it to Behira for Katie. The gloves are Katie's hook for Ezzy. My BCI Behira, would happily nail me half the time if I just reached in and tried to grab her. She would let go and apologize and let me pick her up, but I try to make a habit of being confused with dinner. Behira likes to bite first when thinking food and ask questions later. I hook trained her. It's been a non-issue since and she is a total puppy dog once out of her enclosure, or even after a couple of taps with the hook. I can pick her right up with hands/arms once she's snapped out of food mode.

    Ezzy is the same way. She will protect her house first, and realize it's Momma or Dad later. So, take her out with the gloves on a go forward basis and all should be good in Ezzy & Katie Land.

    Katie was afraid Ezzy didn't like her anymore. I told her it had nothing to do with that. Katie has done a great job giving her a happy home and she wants to protect it. I told her, you just need to get her out of protection/defense mode and she's fine. The night she lunged and I got her out with the cup on her head, I showed her to Katie and she was totally calm. She leapt from me to her Momma and was a happy camper. I was proud of Katie for being brave with her and not letting Ezzy's actions get the best of her or scare her off. I think Katie's realizing it's not personal at all, but just the way she can be sometimes. I plan on them having a long time together to bond over the years.

    I took Ezzy out yesterday, after I grabbed the gloves, and Katie was out. I was hoping she would bite me (sort of) so I could tell Katie it didn't hurt, but she was chill. Below are pictures of me chilling with Ezzy and her with the welder's gloves.

    Pictures of Ezzy:

    [IMG][/IMG]

    [IMG][/IMG]

    [IMG][/IMG]

  9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

    Bogertophis (09-22-2018),C.Marie (09-25-2018),MissterDog (09-21-2018)

  10. #27
    BPnet Senior Member dakski's Avatar
    Join Date
    02-08-2014
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    3,129
    Thanks
    4,402
    Thanked 5,252 Times in 2,384 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Images: 134

    Re: Esmeralda - Bayonnaise Leachie

    Grandma (my mother) didn't just hang with the downstairs reptile crew today. Katie introduced her to Ezzy after dinner.

    I'll let Katie/SunshineWalker write more if she wants, but Ezzy is doing great. Chill and calm out of the tank and frankly, very personable. My mother was impressed with her, and she's seen many reptiles over the years.

    Pictures below:

    [IMG][/IMG]

    [IMG][/IMG]

    [IMG][/IMG]

  11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

    Bogertophis (09-22-2018),C.Marie (09-25-2018),MissterDog (09-21-2018)

  12. #28
    BPnet Senior Member dakski's Avatar
    Join Date
    02-08-2014
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    3,129
    Thanks
    4,402
    Thanked 5,252 Times in 2,384 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Images: 134

    Re: Esmeralda - Bayonnaise Leachie

    What!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    Sunshinewalker!!!!!!!!!!

    Your little beauty Esmeralda was featured on Reptile Report 9-18-18!

    http://thereptilereport.com/bayonnaise-leachie-beauty/

    I canít believe I missed it!

  13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

    Bogertophis (09-22-2018),C.Marie (09-25-2018),tttaylorrr (09-21-2018)

  14. #29
    BPnet Senior Member tttaylorrr's Avatar
    Join Date
    11-10-2014
    Location
    Chicago, Illinois USA
    Posts
    5,704
    Thanks
    4,501
    Thanked 5,423 Times in 2,889 Posts
    Images: 22

    Re: Esmeralda - Bayonnaise Leachie

    Quote Originally Posted by dakski View Post
    What!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    Sunshinewalker!!!!!!!!!!

    Your little beauty Esmeralda was featured on Reptile Report 9-18-18!

    http://thereptilereport.com/bayonnaise-leachie-beauty/

    I canít believe I missed it!
    awe, congrats!!! ezzy definitely deserves it!
    4.4 ball python
    1.0 Albino 0.1 Coral Glow 0.1 Super Cinnamon paradox 1.0 Piebald 0.1 Pastel Enchi Leopard het Piebald 1.0 Coral Glow het Piebald

    1.0 corn snake
    1.0 Hypo

    1.0 crested gecko
    0.1 ????

    0.1 cat
    0.1 Maine Coon mix

    0.1 human ✌︎

  15. #30
    BPnet Senior Member dakski's Avatar
    Join Date
    02-08-2014
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    3,129
    Thanks
    4,402
    Thanked 5,252 Times in 2,384 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Images: 134

    Re: Esmeralda - Bayonnaise Leachie

    Quote Originally Posted by tttaylorrr View Post
    awe, congrats!!! ezzy definitely deserves it!
    Well, you know, Sunshinewalker really knows how to pick a winner!

    The fact that we got engaged exactly one year ago today has nothing to do with me saying that......Not at all!

    In all seriousness, Sunshinewalker rocks and Ezzy rocks and they are continuing to bond. I couldn't be happier.

  16. The Following User Says Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

    C.Marie (09-25-2018)

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.2.1