Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 533

0 members and 533 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Ziggy31984 (40)

» Stats

Members: 75,014
Threads: 248,474
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, DetectiveIcarus
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,312 Times in 1,363 Posts
    Blog Entries

Cool

Welcome to the club Esmeralda is lovely! Leachies have quite big personalities, I am sure you will get to know and love hers! Upside down on the side of the enclosure is normal behavior She looks great!
    - Emily

BPnet Senior Member AbsoluteApril's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,605 Times in 1,296 Posts

Re: Esmeralda - Bayonnaise Leachie

Quote Originally Posted by Ax01 View Post
    $75?!! OMG that's like a tenth of the starting price for the world's biggest geckos at my shows. that's if there are any. i am sooo jealous right now!
    maybe it was $750?
    $75 is crazy, that's like crestie price.
    For the Horde!

Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

Okay, so it's time for my version of the story and how SunshineWalker/Katie ended up as a happy Leachie Momma.

I had been wanting to go to this reptile show for a while and had plans to go with Katie and a few other people. The other people had to cancel (a few days before) and Katie was 20/80 she wanted to go.

I got up early Sunday morning (very unlike me - late sleeper and with the health issues happens about once every 2-3 weeks) and decided I wanted to go regardless. I called my friend Matt and asked if my "niece" Meghan wanted to go to the show. She said, yes.

I asked Katie if she would come with us and she said yes as well, because she new it was important to me and I had been looking forward to it for weeks.

We get to the show and do our quick walk around to see what's there. We saw one guy with a few Leachies and I could see that Katie's interest was peaked. We walked around some more and ended up at the Leapin Leachies table, with Steve the breeder (http://leapinleachies.com). He was super nice and answered a few questions I had and Katie was pointing out different animals she liked. He let her hold a few and then Katie said, "we better get out of here before we get something."

Now, to be clear, I am on reptile cut off. I am happy with my 7 tanks and 8 reptiles. I love my collection and it's still fun without being too much work and I can spend time with each animal bonding.

So, when I saw a few amazing snakes, I was in look, but don't touch or buy mode. Katie does not have the same restrictions, although I wasn't really thinking about that before I saw her eyes light up with those Leachies.

We walked around some more, looked at some more animals, and then, Katie found herself back at the Leapin Leachies table. I said, "huh, we are back with the Leachies." Now, I was leader of the pack and purposely walked Meghan and Katie back to that table to re-gauge Katie's interest.

She asked to hold a few more and ended up falling in love with Esmeralda. She was (and still is) super calm, 4 years old, so not old, but not a baby. In other words, sturdy. She's the first Leachie for our household.

Steve walked us around the show and helped us with the proper tank, food, substrate, etc. He has also been super helpful since the show and is very responsive by phone. He really seems to know his stuff. Not many Leachie breeders out there.

As Katie said, she is super happy she finally picked out a pet for her! Who would have thought it would be a reptile though? Not me!

I was thinking of getting her a Betta Fish for her office; something to keep her company. However, Katie took it to the next level. Esmeralda is set up next to Katie's desk and they keep each other company.

For what's worth, I couldn't be happier. I am thrilled Katie has embraced my reptiles, and clearly reptiles in general. I am also very happy for both Katie and Esmeralda. They are going to be buddies for a long time (Leachies can live 30-40 years).

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (09-14-2018),Phillydubs (09-14-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AbsoluteApril View Post
    maybe it was $750?
    OMG!! whatta reptile and whatta first pickup! now that's how u make an introduction!

$75?!! OMG that's like a tenth of the starting price for the world's biggest geckos at my shows. that's if there are any. i am sooo jealous right now!

lol so cute! yep, they can be wallflowers. i think u should get something like a Skyscraper, go bioactive and build the most beautiful vivarium for Ezzy!

That was just a holding container. To be clear. SHE WAS NOT $75, or $750! Much more.

If you want to know how much they go for, I will happily answer, but don't want to publicize it unless it's requested.

She was low-middle of the road in pricing for Leachies.

They only have a few eggs a year and there are not many breeders.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (09-14-2018),C.Marie (09-25-2018)

Thanks

OMG!! whatta reptile and whatta first pickup! now that's how u make an introduction!

lol so cute! yep, they can be wallflowers. i think u should get something like a Skyscraper, go bioactive and build the most beautiful vivarium for Ezzy!

maybe it was $750?
    Quote Originally Posted by dakski View Post
    That was just a holding container. To be clear. SHE WAS NOT $75, or $750! Much more.

If you want to know how much they go for, I will happily answer, but don't want to publicize it unless it's requested.

Yes, I did not even realize that the container was marked as $75... I would have bought a half dozen. LOL

Thank you all for the warm welcome!

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SunshineWalker For This Useful Post:

AbsoluteApril (09-13-2018),Bogertophis (09-22-2018),C.Marie (09-25-2018)

BPnet Senior Member AbsoluteApril's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,605 Times in 1,296 Posts
    okay cause I was like... holy crap $75. lol I paid well over $1000 for mine, you don't need to say how much, just if it was $75, you had better been willing to share breeder info XD

edit - I also got mine from Steve, great guy
    Last edited by AbsoluteApril; 09-13-2018 at 05:14 PM.
    For the Horde!

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AbsoluteApril For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (09-14-2018),dakski (09-13-2018),Ronniex2 (09-14-2018)

Thanks

okay cause I was like... holy crap $75. lol I paid well over $1000 for mine, you don't need to say how much, just if it was $75, you had better been willing to share breeder info XD

edit - I also got mine from Steve, great guy
    Breeder is Steve at Leapin Leachies (http://leapinleachies.com). Katie or I will write a review.

However, fantastic animals and fantastic experience with Steve. He has a huge variety of New Caldonia Geckos, not just Leachies, but a ton of Leachies.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (09-22-2018)

Thanks

Katie and I figured something out the other day.

Leachies talk! I found out they have vocal cords (apparently all Geckos do). The only time my Leopard Geckos every made a noise was Carra, when I was taming her, would let out a squeal/squawk that sounded horrible if she felt restrained.

Esmeralda clicks, squeaks, etc.

Anyone speak Leachianus?

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (09-14-2018),Ronniex2 (09-14-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,252 Times in 617 Posts
    She is beyond cool! What an awesome first reptile, you've made many of us swoon with jealousy. Congrats!!

1.0 Lesser Mojave Ball Python "Neptune"; 1.0 Western Hognose "Murray"

Lizards:
    1.0 Bearded Dragon "Nigel"

Tarantulas:
    0.1 G. Rosea "Charlotte"; 0.1 B. Albopilosum "Matilda"; 0.1 C. Versicolor "Bijou"; 1.0 B. Boehmei "Lightening McQueen"

Inverts:
    1.0 Emperor Scorpion "Boba"

Dog & Cats:

1.0 Doberman Pinscher "Bulleit"; 1.0 Siamese Cat "Boudreaux"; 1.0 British Shorthair Cat "Oliver”

Goats:
    "Hazelnut" & "Huckleberry"

16. The Following User Says Thank You to hilabeans For This Useful Post:

SunshineWalker (09-14-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,152 Times in 3,380 Posts

maybe it was $750?
    Quote Originally Posted by dakski View Post

Quote Originally Posted by SunshineWalker View Post
    Yes, I did not even realize that the container was marked as $75... I would have bought a half dozen. LOL
    yes, that's what i thought. can't be $75 lol. even $750 is on the low end. congrats again on Ezzy! she is a big, impressive and wonderful 1st reptile!
    RIP Mamba
    ----------------

Wicked ones now on IG & FB!6292

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast