Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,637

0 members and 1,637 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,532
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
    Thanks

Hide Recommendations

Hey all
    Ever since my baby ball python got the mites, I've been trying to find better hides for him that aren't prone to mites. I was using a log hut and a strand of fake leaves. But disposed of everything after I found out about them (he's doing much better now). But what would you guys recommend for hides? Right now I'm using two small containers with a doorway cut out with napkins covering the tops. I know it doesn't sound that good, but it seems to be doing okay. He also has his plastic bamboo sticks.

Anything to recommend? Should I be using plastic hides?

Thank you

Thanks
    Thanked 1,606 Times in 907 Posts

Re: Hide Recommendations

I use a mix of plastic hides. My smaller snakes have purchased plastic reptile hides that look like rocks, mostly from reptile shows or Pet Smart. My larger snakes have either purchased plastic hides from reptile shows or homemade plastic hides made from opaque plastic tubs with holes cut in them.

The easiest way I’ve found to make your own hides is with a wood burning kit, which has a bonus of smooth edges as the tool melts through the plastic. Plus, you can use any plastic container...butter tub, Dollar Store plastic containers or bowls, etc. You do have to be careful to not get burnt, but I like the finished product better. You can also cut the holes with a knife, but I feel you have to be more cautious of the knife slipping and may need to sand the edges of your cuts if the edges feel sharp.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dianne For This Useful Post:

C.Marie (09-12-2018),Traceur (09-12-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dianne View Post
    I use a mix of plastic hides. My smaller snakes have purchased plastic reptile hides that look like rocks, mostly from reptile shows or Pet Smart. My larger snakes have either purchased plastic hides from reptile shows or homemade plastic hides made from opaque plastic tubs with holes cut in them.

The easiest way I’ve found to make your own hides is with a wood burning kit, which has a bonus of smooth edges as the tool melts through the plastic. Plus, you can use any plastic container...butter tub, Dollar Store plastic containers or bowls, etc. You do have to be careful to not get burnt, but I like the finished product better. You can also cut the holes with a knife, but I feel you have to be more cautious of the knife slipping and may need to sand the edges of your cuts if the edges feel sharp.
    Sweet, thanks for the info!

Thanks

Also, if you could link specific hides, that'd be great too

Thanks
    Thanked 1,606 Times in 907 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Traceur View Post
    Also, if you could link specific hides, that'd be great too
    Here’s a few links for hides that I have from Pet Smart. They aren’t as well made or heavy as the ones I’ve gotten at the reptile shows, but they do work well. The biggest difference I see from what I get from Pet Smart is that theirs are molded with an inner edge alond the bottom of the hide that can be hard to clean as invariably someone will poop in the crevice. The wood burning kit doesn’t burn through this stuff, I tried to cut the edge off, so it’s some kind of plastic composite. It’s pretty easy to clean, except than inner edge.

The hides I’ve purchased at reptile shows are a thicker material, the plastic ones are more solid, and a couple have almost a pottery texture. Those from the reptile show are very easy to clean as there are no ledges or cracks, just a smooth even base. All of them have a stonelike texture that all the snakes seem to like to rub against when they’re shedding.

https://www.petsmart.com/reptile/hab...ml?cgid=500204

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Dianne For This Useful Post:

Traceur (09-13-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dianne View Post
    Here’s a few links for hides that I have from Pet Smart. They aren’t as well made or heavy as the ones I’ve gotten at the reptile shows, but they do work well. The biggest difference I see from what I get from Pet Smart is that theirs are molded with an inner edge alond the bottom of the hide that can be hard to clean as invariably someone will poop in the crevice. The wood burning kit doesn’t burn through this stuff, I tried to cut the edge off, so it’s some kind of plastic composite. It’s pretty easy to clean, except than inner edge.

The hides I’ve purchased at reptile shows are a thicker material, the plastic ones are more solid, and a couple have almost a pottery texture. Those from the reptile show are very easy to clean as there are no ledges or cracks, just a smooth even base. All of them have a stonelike texture that all the snakes seem to like to rub against when they’re shedding.

Awesome! Thank you so much It really helps me know what to pick out so this helps a lot!

Thanks
    Thanked 4,899 Times in 2,993 Posts

I noticed a broken off wing mirror at the road side yesterday ... I chucked the broken mirror part in a bin but kept the lovely black plastic casing .... I filed and sanded down the sharpish edges and it will make a fabulous snake hide now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Zincubus For This Useful Post:

Traceur (09-13-2018)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    I wouldn’t go to overboard in hides at the moment, since your snake is a baby and will outgrow them fairly quickly if they’re snug. When mine was a baby, his favorite hide was actually a piece of moss mat rolled into a tube. I’d either wash it or just cut a new piece when it got soiled, and give him a slightly bigger piece as he grew.

Once you’re sure the mites are all gone, you can go back to using hides made of wood, cork bark, fake plants, etc - all that stuff. If you have any concerns about more mites hitching a ride on stuff like that, just buy it online where it will have been sitting in a warehouse nowhere near any other reptiles rather than from a pet store.

It’s nicer for the snake to have a variety of textures and smells and more different places to go. But you do have to keep things really simple and dishwasher-safe until you’re sure the mites are good and gone.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Coluber42 For This Useful Post:

Traceur (09-13-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,899 Times in 2,993 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Zincubus View Post
    I noticed a broken off wing mirror at the road side yesterday ... I chucked the broken mirror part in a bin but kept the lovely black plastic casing .... I filed and sanded down the sharpish edges and it will make a fabulous snake hide now

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Zincubus For This Useful Post:

Traceur (09-13-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Coluber42 View Post
    I wouldn’t go to overboard in hides at the moment, since your snake is a baby and will outgrow them fairly quickly if they’re snug. When mine was a baby, his favorite hide was actually a piece of moss mat rolled into a tube. I’d either wash it or just cut a new piece when it got soiled, and give him a slightly bigger piece as he grew.

Once you’re sure the mites are all gone, you can go back to using hides made of wood, cork bark, fake plants, etc - all that stuff. If you have any concerns about more mites hitching a ride on stuff like that, just buy it online where it will have been sitting in a warehouse nowhere near any other reptiles rather than from a pet store.

It’s nicer for the snake to have a variety of textures and smells and more different places to go. But you do have to keep things really simple and dishwasher-safe until you’re sure the mites are good and gone.
    Sure thing! I've been trying to improve his terrarium, so I just bought him a 50 watt infrared spot bulb because the 75 watt red infrared was starting to become difficult at controlling temps (I did get a thermostat). So I hope his hides are also good for him as well. Thank you for the suggestions about ordering online!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Zincubus View Post

That's awesome! It also looks really cools as well

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Traceur For This Useful Post:

Zincubus (09-13-2018)