Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 392

13 members and 379 guests
Most users ever online was 3,642, 05-08-2016 at 08:50 AM.


» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 64,356
Threads: 238,683
Posts: 2,479,547
Top Poster: JLC (31,652)
Welcome to our newest member, Emeraldsserpent
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 46
  1. #31
    BPnet Veteran Ax01's Avatar
    Join Date
    06-14-2015
    Location
    Emerald City
    Posts
    5,930
    Thanks
    2,500
    Thanked 5,770 Times in 3,216 Posts
    yeah, i'm not gonna be one of his enablers at this point of his early career.
    ^ Look! My new avatar!!

    Wicked ones now on IG & FB!6292

    Seaside Serpents & Exotics (SSEx) clutch one, two and three.

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to Ax01 For This Useful Post:

    MissterDog (09-21-2018)

  3. #32
    BPnet Veteran MissterDog's Avatar
    Join Date
    02-21-2017
    Posts
    1,443
    Thanks
    3,804
    Thanked 1,869 Times in 853 Posts
    It's admirable you're giving OP the benefit of the doubt, but the quarantine thread will give you a lot of missing context. If Jnksnakes didn't engage and DEFEND irresponsible practics that are damaging to the hobby's reputation, then the community would feel less cautious and critical.

    The community encourages and supports members when it is appropriate. But if a red flag is seen then it will be pointed out. In the end op is free to do what he wants, but the community can still tell him to slow down. 500 hours is still not as long as it sounds.
    1.0 Ball Python (Mystic Potion) Tapioca
    0.1 Russian Rat Snake (Melanistic) Kallari

  4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MissterDog For This Useful Post:

    Ax01 (09-21-2018),Bogertophis (09-21-2018),Kira (09-21-2018),tttaylorrr (09-21-2018)

  5. #33
    Registered User skydnay's Avatar
    Join Date
    06-19-2018
    Location
    The Colony, TX
    Posts
    145
    Thanks
    115
    Thanked 135 Times in 61 Posts
    Images: 6

    Re: Hot owners in LA\MS

    Quote Originally Posted by MissterDog View Post
    It's admirable you're giving OP the benefit of the doubt, but the quarantine thread will give you a lot of missing context. If Jnksnakes didn't engage and DEFEND irresponsible practics that are damaging to the hobby's reputation, then the community would feel less cautious and critical.

    The community encourages and supports members when it is appropriate. But if a red flag is seen then it will be pointed out. In the end op is free to do what he wants, but the community can still tell him to slow down. 500 hours is still not as long as it sounds.
    This is fair. Though, at the same time, it's hard to judge a person on a thread you can't see. So there is that point.

    I completely understand pointing out red flags, but I do not feel as though that is what's being done here. Instead, it reads as a thread where a lot of people are telling someone not to get a snake they want to get because of other's opinions, which is unfair. I don't see people here tell him to slow down, but to halt completely.

    As my final point on the subject, no, 500 hours is not as much as it sounds. But assuming a person has other stuff to do and can only delegate 4 hours a day to this, then that would be around 4 straight months. But LA law still requires that the time period be a full YEAR with no less that 500 hours of actively working with venomous. So it'd be a year either way before OP could even get his gaboon.
    Ball Pythons!
    1.0 Normal - Echo
    1.0 Spider Enchi Ghost - Whiskey
    0.1 Super Pastel Lesser - Tango
    1.0 Butter Spider Het Hypo - Foxtrot

    Other Snakes!
    0.1 Albino Paradox KSB - Socks
    1.0 Jungle Carpet Python - JPEG
    1.0 California Kingsnake - Salazar

    Geckos!
    0.2 Super Hypo Tangerine Leos - Riddle and Valkyrie


  6. #34
    Registered User
    Join Date
    01-30-2010
    Posts
    168
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 145 Times in 66 Posts
    I don't think any of us has a "good reason" for keeping snakes. The answer is because we want to. My cousin once asked me why I had two dogs, "why wasn't one enough for you?"...well, because I wanted 2, but my response was "why did you have 3 kids, why wasn't one enough for you?"
    To the OP, I think you should work towards goals, but in a safe and responsible way. The issue here is that I wanted snakes, but the worst that's going to happen is I'm going to take a bite that I can put a band aid on; the worst that will happen if you take a bite is death. Decisions with bigger consequences deserve to be taken more seriously.

  7. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to kristan For This Useful Post:

    Ax01 (09-21-2018),jmcrook (09-21-2018),Kira (09-21-2018),MissterDog (09-21-2018),pretends2bnormal (09-21-2018),skydnay (09-21-2018)

  8. #35
    Telling it like it is! Deborah's Avatar
    Join Date
    09-28-2006
    Posts
    23,758
    Thanks
    5,838
    Thanked 18,751 Times in 8,784 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Images: 6
    Honestly based on this thread and your post history here and on social medial, I could not imagine anyone wanting YOU near their collection or be associated with you

    This hobby needs positive role models which means, educated, respectful, compassionate, and responsible and your posts do not reflect this at all.

  9. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Deborah For This Useful Post:

    Ax01 (09-26-2018),Bogertophis (09-21-2018),Kira (09-21-2018),MissterDog (09-21-2018),redshepherd (09-21-2018)

  10. #36
    Registered User Bogertophis's Avatar
    Join Date
    04-28-2018
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    7,189
    Thanks
    9,881
    Thanked 5,532 Times in 3,522 Posts

    Re: Hot owners in LA\MS

    Quote Originally Posted by kristan View Post
    I don't think any of us has a "good reason" for keeping snakes. The answer is because we want to. My cousin once asked me why I had two dogs, "why wasn't one enough for you?"...well, because I wanted 2, but my response was "why did you have 3 kids, why wasn't one enough for you?"
    To the OP, I think you should work towards goals, but in a safe and responsible way. The issue here is that I wanted snakes, but the worst that's going to happen is I'm going to take a bite that I can put a band aid on; the worst that will happen if you take a bite is death. Decisions with bigger consequences deserve to be taken more seriously.
    I disagree...the most COMMON answer might be "because we want to" but when it comes to venomous snakes, some GOOD reasons include furthering scientific &
    medical research, the preservation of the species, and public education. "Because I want to" have 2 dogs...well, they're SOCIAL animals that enjoy each other's
    company as well as ours, & get more healthful exercise with a buddy; "because I want to" have more kids...at some point disregards the reality of our earth-home
    & the limits of space & natural resources necessary for a GOOD life, not merely an existence. "Because I want to" have more snakes? we all live in a society that
    isn't 100% behind keeping snakes in the first place, so we ALL have to be mindful of how our conduct in this area is going to impact others...many who'd rather
    make laws against us, while most keep snakes responsibly & want to continue doing so. As you said kristan, "Decisions with bigger consequences deserve to be
    taken more seriously." I agree with that & I think that's what the feedback here is all about.

  11. #37
    BPnet Veteran redshepherd's Avatar
    Join Date
    02-28-2015
    Location
    Orange County, CA
    Posts
    3,463
    Thanks
    1,928
    Thanked 3,909 Times in 1,709 Posts
    Images: 5

    Re: Hot owners in LA\MS

    Quote Originally Posted by skydnay View Post
    This is fair. Though, at the same time, it's hard to judge a person on a thread you can't see. So there is that point.

    I completely understand pointing out red flags, but I do not feel as though that is what's being done here. Instead, it reads as a thread where a lot of people are telling someone not to get a snake they want to get because of other's opinions, which is unfair. I don't see people here tell him to slow down, but to halt completely.

    As my final point on the subject, no, 500 hours is not as much as it sounds. But assuming a person has other stuff to do and can only delegate 4 hours a day to this, then that would be around 4 straight months. But LA law still requires that the time period be a full YEAR with no less that 500 hours of actively working with venomous. So it'd be a year either way before OP could even get his gaboon.
    Skydnay, the OP abuses leopard geckos by breaking their legs and leaving them in a bin to suffer for possibly hours, laughs about it on social media when someone points out that this is animal abuse, and continues to defend his practice of abusing the feeder animals under his care, despite others on the forum pointing out how it is a bad reflection on our community. That's the thread that's in quarantine that you should look at.
    Last edited by redshepherd; 09-21-2018 at 06:56 PM.

    https://www.instagram.com/illusnakes/
    0.1 Tanimbar Scrub Python "Pixie", 0.1 Northern Pine Snake "Genesis"
    0.1 Dumeril's Boa "Vigil",
    0.1 2007 Aru Green Tree Python "Gem"
    1.0 Eastern Indigo "Drogon", 1.0 Blood Python "Magma"
    Ball Pythons
    0.1 Sterling "Drizzle", 1.0 Lesser Butter "Yukon", 0.1 Lesser Mojave "Snowdrift"
    past: 0.4 Ball pythons, 1.0 Russian Rat Snake



  12. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to redshepherd For This Useful Post:

    55fingers (09-29-2018),Bogertophis (09-21-2018),Ditto (09-21-2018),Kira (09-21-2018),MissterDog (09-21-2018),tttaylorrr (09-21-2018)

  13. #38
    Venom Life Neal's Avatar
    Join Date
    11-23-2008
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    7,476
    Thanks
    587
    Thanked 2,066 Times in 1,525 Posts
    Blog Entries
    7
    Images: 1
    Yea, I'm from Louisiana and I do keep hots, however as Cody and others have stated there's only a select few people that I'll let in my room when my snakes come out. I'm currently only keeping my cobra as I'm shifting my focus to cobras as I enjoy working with them more.

    LA Laws have changed also, it's 1000 hours now, instead of 500. Also getting a permit for venomous has gotten increasingly hard, because they want you to work with somebody who actually has a venomous permit to sign off. This was a smart move in my book and something I recommended a year or two back.
    Last edited by Neal; 02-25-2019 at 09:13 PM.
    -Venomous-

    1.0 - Naja siamensis - Zeus (Black & White Spitting Cobra)
    1.0 - Naja n. woodi - Hades (Black Spitting Cobra)
    0.1 - Naja nigricollis - Athena (Black-necked Spitting Cobra)

    coming at some point in the future
    Naja annulata (Ringed Water Cobra)




  14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Neal For This Useful Post:

    Bogertophis (02-25-2019),MissterDog (02-25-2019)

  15. #39
    Registered User
    Join Date
    08-30-2018
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    141
    Thanks
    19
    Thanked 76 Times in 37 Posts

    Re: Hot owners in LA\MS

    Quote Originally Posted by Neal View Post
    Yea, I'm from Louisiana and I do keep hots, however as Cody and others have stated there's only a select few people that I'll let in my room when my snakes come out. I'm currently only keeping my cobra as I'm shifting my focus to cobras as I enjoy working with them more.

    LA Laws have changed also, it's 1000 hours now, instead of 500. Also getting a permit for venomous has gotten increasingly hard, because they want you to work with somebody who actually has a venomous permit to sign off. This was a smart move in my book and something I recommended a year or two back.
    We spoke on Facebook a couple months back

    Sent from my LG-LS998 using Tapatalk
    1.1 Ivory Burmese Pythons 0.1 Albino Granite Burmese Python
    1.0 Orange Glow Retic 0.1 White Albino Retic 0.1 Purple Tiger Retic
    1.0 Anaconda Hognose 1.0 Hognose DBL Het Snow
    0.0.1 Red Tail Boa
    1.0 Albino Blitz BP
    0.1 Pastel Het Pied BP
    1.0 Pastel Leopard BP
    0.1 Pastel Vanilla BP
    0.1 Super Phantom BP
    0.1 Spinner Enchi BP
    0.1 Albino Kingsnake

  16. #40
    Venom Life Neal's Avatar
    Join Date
    11-23-2008
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    7,476
    Thanks
    587
    Thanked 2,066 Times in 1,525 Posts
    Blog Entries
    7
    Images: 1

    Re: Hot owners in LA\MS

    Quote Originally Posted by Jnksnakes View Post
    We spoke on Facebook a couple months back

    Sent from my LG-LS998 using Tapatalk
    Ah okay. Yea I get a lot of people messaging me about it, not sure who is who as I'm bad with names.
    -Venomous-

    1.0 - Naja siamensis - Zeus (Black & White Spitting Cobra)
    1.0 - Naja n. woodi - Hades (Black Spitting Cobra)
    0.1 - Naja nigricollis - Athena (Black-necked Spitting Cobra)

    coming at some point in the future
    Naja annulata (Ringed Water Cobra)




  17. The Following User Says Thank You to Neal For This Useful Post:

    Jnksnakes (02-25-2019)

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.2.1