Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,028

2 members and 3,026 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks
    You guys truly only have Negative comments don't you? I have no friends to PROVE something to. I want a Gaboon in my collection, and once I have sufficient experience with Hots I will get one. You guys want certain ball pythons, boas, burms, retics, whatever the case may be in your collections so you get them. Same situation here. I know how to handle snakes and not get bit. The only experience I am looking for here are the differences with hots. The cage opening safe ways, the safe ways to move them around to soak\clean cages etc. etc. If you would like to be so negative, Please go somewhere else. I also did not ask for any opinions on owning venomous animals. So i'm not sure why everyone is posting their opinions. Thanks. Stay on topic or leave please.
    1.1 Ivory Burmese Pythons 0.1 Albino Granite Burmese Python
    1.0 Orange Glow Retic 0.1 White Albino Retic 0.1 Purple Tiger Retic
    1.0 Anaconda Hognose 1.0 Hognose DBL Het Snow
    0.0.1 Red Tail Boa
    1.0 Albino Blitz BP
    0.1 Pastel Het Pied BP
    1.0 Pastel Leopard BP
    0.1 Pastel Vanilla BP
    0.1 Super Phantom BP
    0.1 Spinner Enchi BP
    0.1 Albino Kingsnake

Thanks
    With that kinda attitude, most experienced hot keepers won't touch you with a 10 ft snake hook, but hey, best of luck finding one that will teach you the right way of doing things... for your sake I hope you do....

3. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Alter-Echo For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (09-19-2018),jmcrook (09-19-2018),Kira (09-20-2018),MissterDog (09-19-2018),redshepherd (09-19-2018),Tessellate (09-20-2018),tttaylorrr (09-19-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,152 Times in 3,380 Posts

Re: Hot owners in LA\MS

Quote Originally Posted by Jnksnakes View Post
    You guys truly only have Negative comments don't you? I have no friends to PROVE something to. I want a Gaboon in my collection, and once I have sufficient experience with Hots I will get one. You guys want certain ball pythons, boas, burms, retics, whatever the case may be in your collections so you get them. Same situation here. I know how to handle snakes and not get bit. The only experience I am looking for here are the differences with hots. The cage opening safe ways, the safe ways to move them around to soak\clean cages etc. etc. If you would like to be so negative, Please go somewhere else. I also did not ask for any opinions on owning venomous animals. So i'm not sure why everyone is posting their opinions. Thanks. Stay on topic or leave please.
    i think that u are finding out that a forum is alot different from social media. we go alot deeper than posting pix for likes and cool points. we have actual discussion, share our experiences and challenges, help each other out and will hold each other accountable. i hope that u are reading every comment and opinion, in this thread and your other one(s). i don't think anyone is being negative w/ their opinion when they say something like it's not a good idea when an inexperienced keeper decides to get a hot and could hurt themselves or the community. it's the truth and it needs to be said and sorry (not sorry) if it hurts.
    RIP Mamba
    ----------------

Wicked ones now on IG & FB!6292

5. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Ax01 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (09-20-2018),Kira (09-20-2018),MissterDog (09-20-2018),redshepherd (09-20-2018),tttaylorrr (09-20-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,435 Times in 2,891 Posts

OP i see ur online rn:

despite the comments and general backlash, we do WANT you to succeed and be successful, and for the RIGHT reasons.

we also know how much goes into this hobby, and if you think you're somehow different from every other fresh-faced "breeder" with money that comes on here posting and getting defensive when they're called out for bad practices, you're sorely mistaken. you are but another statistic on this forum with decades of others like you, until you prove otherwise.

remember: WE ARE the community you're trying to establish yourself in. our input is INVALUABLE to you, and i really wish you'd listen.

you know you're more than capable. you know you're better than what you've shown. you know you have much more to learn. please just ask and let us help.

prove us wrong. show us what you're capable of. we're here to help you, i promise. but you gotta drop the ego and listen. please. you're talking hots, so this is your LIFE.
    Last edited by tttaylorrr; 09-20-2018 at 02:41 PM.
    4.4 ball python
    1.0 Albino 0.1 Coral Glow 0.1 Super Cinnamon paradox 1.0 Piebald 0.1 Pastel Enchi Leopard het Piebald 1.0 Coral Glow het Piebald

1.0 corn snake
    1.0 Hypo

1.0 crested gecko
    0.1 ????

0.1 cat
    0.1 Maine Coon mix

0.1 human ✌︎

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to tttaylorrr For This Useful Post:

Ax01 (09-20-2018),Bogertophis (09-20-2018),MissterDog (09-20-2018),Phillydubs (09-20-2018)

Thanks
    I have Asked. I am listening. Your answers are literally "nope you're an idiot for wanting one" instead of providing any VALUABLE information. So please get off of this topic unless you want to talk about the topic. Which is: HOT OWNERS IN LA\MS AREA WILLING TO TEACH.
    1.1 Ivory Burmese Pythons 0.1 Albino Granite Burmese Python
    1.0 Orange Glow Retic 0.1 White Albino Retic 0.1 Purple Tiger Retic
    1.0 Anaconda Hognose 1.0 Hognose DBL Het Snow
    0.0.1 Red Tail Boa
    1.0 Albino Blitz BP
    0.1 Pastel Het Pied BP
    1.0 Pastel Leopard BP
    0.1 Pastel Vanilla BP
    0.1 Super Phantom BP
    0.1 Spinner Enchi BP
    0.1 Albino Kingsnake

Thanks
    This entire thread is a disappointing read. I get people are thinking they're helping by suggesting other snakes to start out with, but telling someone they shouldn't get the snake they want just seems an unfair thing to do on a reptile dedicated forum. OP posted in the appropriate forum looking for a mentor in venomous so that they CAN get a gaboon without just jumping into venomous willy nilly. And yet, here is a whole three pages of OP being hounded for that.

I can't speak to whatever is in the thread in QT, but it's not relevant to the topic of this thread, as far as I'm concerned.

Now, as far as actually answering the question for Jnksnakes, I'm from Baton Rouge! Unfortunately, I don't know offhand of anyone with a large venomous collection in the LA/MS area, but I do know that communities in Louisiana like to keep up with Facebook groups, so looking there might be your best bet, seeing as this thread hasn't gotten you much help. There's a couple groups I can find that are more like classifieds, but I'd bet there are people in there that can point you in the right direction. Good luck!!
    Ball Pythons!
    1.0 Normal - Echo
    1.0 Spider Enchi Ghost - Whiskey
    0.1 Super Pastel Lesser - Tango
    1.0 Butter Spider Het Hypo - Foxtrot

Other Snakes!
    0.1 Albino Paradox KSB - Socks
    1.0 Jungle Carpet Python - JPEG
    1.0 California Kingsnake - Salazar

Geckos!
    0.2 Super Hypo Tangerine Leos - Riddle and Valkyrie

Thanks
    Thanked 19,739 Times in 11,797 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by skydnay View Post
    This entire thread is a disappointing read. I get people are thinking they're helping by suggesting other snakes to start out with, but telling someone they shouldn't get the snake they want just seems an unfair thing to do on a reptile dedicated forum. OP posted in the appropriate forum looking for a mentor in venomous so that they CAN get a gaboon without just jumping into venomous willy nilly. And yet, here is a whole three pages of OP being hounded for that....
    I suggested he contact Neal when he first asked for hot contacts in his area, & well before this thread. Apparently he got no response. I think the justifiable
    concern was his statement "My next buy will be a Gaboon Viper." as opposed to getting a less dangerous animal to keep as practice. Since many people of all
    ages from around the world do read this forum, I personally think it would make us all look like idiots to just encourage the OP without any precautionary input
    ...& he should have realized that as well. I privately wished him luck, but again what message should we be sending to all the impressionable "wanna-be's"
    who might be reading this?

The part I quoted above is from his post #5, btw. You can only learn so much from visits to someones "house o' hots", it really helps to live with one for a
    while...but NOT starting off with a Gaboon! Over-confident people have died doing just that. And YES it's "our business" because stuff like that makes
    the news & hurts us ALL when more restrictive laws are passed AND when more people keep a closed mind about all snakes & just kill every one they see.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 09-21-2018 at 12:08 PM.

11. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Alter-Echo (09-21-2018),Ax01 (09-21-2018),Godzilla78 (09-21-2018),jmcrook (09-21-2018),Kira (09-21-2018),MissterDog (09-21-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,152 Times in 3,380 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by skydnay View Post
    This entire thread is a disappointing read. I get people are thinking they're helping by suggesting other snakes to start out with, but telling someone they shouldn't get the snake they want just seems an unfair thing to do on a reptile dedicated forum. OP posted in the appropriate forum looking for a mentor in venomous so that they CAN get a gaboon without just jumping into venomous willy nilly. And yet, here is a whole three pages of OP being hounded for that.

I can't speak to whatever is in the thread in QT, but it's not relevant to the topic of this thread, as far as I'm concerned.
    glad u could find some silver lining and play devil's advocate but u can't ignore Jnk's other threads, posts, etc. on BP.net and elsewhere. the thing is u cannot rely on someone's rep or credibility from one thread, that's why u gotta look at the whole esp. if someone wants to come into your home or facility for mentorship esp. w/ Hots. it's basic screening and i would not vouch for him. also it seems kinda like he's learning as he goes (in regards to euthanizing, feeding, husbandry, breeding, etc.) and he's going real fast on a steep learning curve. u can't do that w/ a Hot and i hope 3 pages has had some impact on him when he says "My next buy will be a Gaboon Viper." what's wrong w/ slowing down and fixing the issues u currently have and improving your upkeep and name? Jnksnakes is not the first person to receive tough love and won't be the last.
    Last edited by Ax01; 09-21-2018 at 12:15 PM. Reason: quote
    RIP Mamba
    ----------------

Wicked ones now on IG & FB!6292

13. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Ax01 For This Useful Post:

Alter-Echo (09-21-2018),Bogertophis (09-21-2018),Godzilla78 (09-21-2018),Kira (09-21-2018),MissterDog (09-21-2018),tttaylorrr (09-21-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,739 Times in 11,797 Posts
    Also, I've never known anyone with a "good reason" to keep hots (like making it a career, zoo-keeping or research, etc) who was in a hurry...that's just
    a HUGE RED FLAG. Call me "judgmental" if you like....but you don't get older by being stupid.

15. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Alter-Echo (09-21-2018),Hmoore1984 (09-21-2018),Kira (09-21-2018),MissterDog (09-21-2018)

Thanks
    While I can appreciate the concern that want to own a gaboon would cause, I'll paste Louisiana's laws on owning venomous:

Louisiana Administrative Code Title 76 Part XV
    J. Restricted Amphibians and Reptiles
    K. Venomous and Large Constricting Snakes

1. The importation and/or private possession of constrictor snakes in excess of 12 feet, including but not limited to the following species: Apodora Papuana (Papuan Python), Liasis Olivacea, (Olive Python), Morelia Spilota (Carpet or Diamond Python), Morelia Kinghorni (Scrub Python), Morelia Amethystina (Amethystine Python), Python Natalensis (Southern African Python), Python Sebae (African Rock Python), Python Molurus (Indian Or Burmese Python), Python Reticulatus (Reticulate Python), any species of the genus Boa (Boa Constrictors), and any species of the genus Eunectes (Anacondas), and venomous snakes, (hereinafter “restricted snakes”) obtained in any manner, shall be by permit issued by the Department of Wildlife and Fisheries except for animals kept by animal sanctuaries, zoos, aquariums, wildlife research centers, scientific organizations, and medical research facilities as defined in the Animal Welfare Act as found in the United States Code Title 7, Chapter 54, 2132(e).
    Venomous Snakes—any species under current taxonomic standing recognized to belong to the Families Viperidae (Pitvipers and Vipers), Elapidae (Cobras and Mambas), Hydrophiidae (Sea Snakes), Atractaspididae (Mole Vipers), as well as the genera Dispholidus, Thelotornis, and Rhabdophis of the Family Colubridae only.

i. Any person requesting a permit to allow importation and/or private possession of venomous snakes shall demonstrate no less than one year of substantial, practical experience (to consist of no less than 500 hours) in the care, feeding, handling, and/or husbandry of the species for which the permit is sought, or other species within the same zoological family, which are substantially similar in size, characteristics, care, and nutritional requirements to the species for which the permit is sought.

This is why OP needs a mentor. It's required in Louisiana. I live in Texas and there is no such law as this, not even in the city where I live. I can go to Walmart with $20 and get the permit to own venomous and then go pick up a gaboon without any experience if I wanted. At least OP is trying to go about this the right way. I also never read anything about OP planning on picking up a gaboon in the next few days or anything, so if we could all not jump the gun on assuming we know what OP is planning, that would probably help out a lot.

Additionally, I'd like to point out that there has only been a single link to an outside thread within this one that I don't have immediate access, and I don't know about y'all, but the first thing I'm going to do when looking at a thread is not hunt down every other thread that a person has created. If someone else wants to, that's all fine and good, and linking them here may be helpful, but generally on forums, the place to hound someone on other topics is not on every single new thread they create. From what I do know of OP's other threads, none of them are that incriminating to me. OP joined recently and has been asking for a lot of advice, and it seems that some people may take that to mean OP is new to snake keeping? Whatever it is, there seems to be a lot of assumptions being made, and a lot of unnecessary harshness happening.

And yes, people may be giving OP private encouragement or help, but what is public is a lot of backlash on a decision that OP is free to make regardless. It's saddening to see a community that prides itself on being supportive and helpful doing the very opposite.

As far as screening goes, that's fine! Let him show himself online. I don't believe that anyone in this thread is going to be the hots owner mentoring him, though, or is even local to his area, so there's little being said that is helpful.

500 hours is not a hurry, by the way.
    Ball Pythons!
    1.0 Normal - Echo
    1.0 Spider Enchi Ghost - Whiskey
    0.1 Super Pastel Lesser - Tango
    1.0 Butter Spider Het Hypo - Foxtrot

Other Snakes!
    0.1 Albino Paradox KSB - Socks
    1.0 Jungle Carpet Python - JPEG
    1.0 California Kingsnake - Salazar

Geckos!
    0.2 Super Hypo Tangerine Leos - Riddle and Valkyrie