Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,897

2 members and 2,895 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,739 Times in 11,797 Posts

Re: Hot owners in LA\MS

Quote Originally Posted by Jnksnakes View Post
    ...My next buy will be a Gaboon Viper. I'd really rather learn more about the venomous trade before just jumping into one of those. Need to learn the proper hook techniques, how they approach feeding, opening enclosure safely etc. Things I would REALLY like to learn before owning one....
    It's really NOT a matter that you should take so lightly...your life depends on you learning first, not just taking the plunge. We don't need to read about you in the
    paper. And you should get your affairs in order too, by the way...no one ever thinks THEY will end up in the hospital or worse. Gaboons are not a good one to start
    with as they aren't native species so in the event you get bit, hospitals aren't equipped to be as helpful as you'd expect. They also get large...

I guess you had no luck contacting Neal (?) but I'm not surprised: as already mentioned, responsible keepers have to be wary as there are "all types" with the same line.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 09-19-2018 at 11:49 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,106 Times in 1,195 Posts
    Yeah, Gaboon viper seems a crazy first choice. Extremely agressive, massive fangs and VERY hot venom. Maybe start with something less aggressive,that likes to be shy and hide away like a copperhead type viper?

I don't know, I have no experience handling hots, and I never will! lol
    Last edited by Godzilla78; 09-19-2018 at 12:04 PM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Godzilla78 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (09-19-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla78 View Post
    Yeah, Gaboon viper seems a crazy first choice. Extremely agressive, massive fangs and VERY hot venom. Maybe start with something less aggressive,that likes to be shy and hide away like a copperhead type viper?

I don't know, I have no experience handling hots, and I never will! lol
    Gaboon vipers are actually ambush predators that have killed owners who underestimated them because they sit still for so long...but they can sure move when they
    want to. And their venom, delivered via long fangs, is nothing to fool with. A cottonmouth or copperhead would be a better start, but even then, WHY do you want
    venomous at all? What's the point? (Why do so many feel they have something to "prove"?)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

MissterDog (09-19-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,152 Times in 3,380 Posts
    IMO i think Jnksnakes is moving way too fast in this hobby. he needs to slow down and learn how to provide better care for his current animals before he takes the deep dive into hots (or breeding): https://ball-pythons.net/forums/show...ion-Photo-Spam (ask a Mod/Admin for access to QT if u can't see the thread)
    RIP Mamba
    ----------------

Wicked ones now on IG & FB!6292

7. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Ax01 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (09-19-2018),Godzilla78 (09-19-2018),Kira (09-19-2018),MissterDog (09-19-2018),Tessellate (09-21-2018),tttaylorrr (09-19-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,244 Times in 667 Posts
    I also think anyone who “can’t afford a hospital visit” better not get a snake that can easily send you to the hospital....
    1.0 - Cinnamon Banana Ball Python (Thunder)
    1.0 - Yellow Belly High White Pied Ball Python (Pretty Fly For A White Guy)
    0.1 - Cinnamon GHI Ball Python (Leslie Snipes)
    1.0 - Dumerils Boa (Sushi)
    0.1 - Caye Caulker Boa (Lady Liberty)
    0.0.? - Mandarin Rat Snake (Bumble)
    1.0 - Mexican Black King (Rico Suave)
    1.0 - Black Tail Cribo (Goldar)
    0.1 - Jaguar Carpet Python (Cookie)
    1.0 - Vietnamese Blue Beauty (Elsa)
    1.0 - Green Tree Python (Banner)
    0.2 - Yellow/Quince Monitors (Blanche & Dorothy)

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Phillydubs For This Useful Post:

bcr229 (09-21-2018),Bogertophis (09-19-2018),Godzilla78 (09-19-2018),tttaylorrr (09-19-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,106 Times in 1,195 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Phillydubs View Post
    I also think anyone who “can’t afford a hospital visit” better not get a snake that can easily send you to the hospital....
    Well said.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Godzilla78 For This Useful Post:

Phillydubs (09-19-2018)

Thanks
    Gaboons are really placid for a viper... until they're not, they move so fast when they decide to strike that there really is no warning.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Alter-Echo For This Useful Post:

MissterDog (09-19-2018)

Thanks
    I've said this before but maybe it bears repeating? I worked with hots (mostly rattlesnakes) for 20 SAFE years...but it wasn't BECAUSE they were venomous-

it was IN SPITE of the fact. When I was first offered one that needed re-homed, I honestly wasn't interested...but then I did some research & took it on, mostly

because they were local native species that wandered into people's yards and usually got killed for their "mistake". I wanted to help them survive and for my

neighbors NOT to get injured trying to move or kill them. I ended up rescuing & relocating rattlesnakes, & doing local educational programs ONLY with those that

weren't releasable. And I ended up very fond of rattlesnakes, I'll admit...but I don't recommend them as "pets"...there's no good reason to have a "pet" that you

cannot interact with, that you won't easily find ANY vet to help you should they have health problems (you have to be prepared to do it yourself!) & you must be

a very responsible* person to ensure that nothing goes wrong- no escapes ever, that you aren't getting bit & making the news as yet another reason for the public

to pass more restrictive laws that affects ALL of us keeping ANY kind of snakes...& you darn well better not be using up the local zoo's supply of emergency anti-

venin for your dumb mistakes! Add to that the cost of medical care if-when you get bit- (how much medical & life insurance do you have?) and be prepared to not

have any homeowner's insurance if-when your current company finds out what you're doing. Or, if you are renting...be prepared to be evicted! That's even without

taking into account local laws you may be violating. (city, state, county, federal, Fish & Game) *By "responsible" I mean one that NEVER works with these snakes

when tired, distracted (w/ friends etc etc), feeling ill, or under ANY influence (drugs or alcohol) in ANY amount. There is a reason that statistics show most venomous

bites happen to young males in our society....they are usually showing off.

I'm sorry to say this but the very fact that the OP wants to start off with a Gaboon Viper strongly suggests they are lacking the maturity that all responsible hot

keepers will want to see before helping the OP achieve their mission. Starting with a Gaboon Viper is the sign of a person that's in a hurry, one that's over-con-

fident in their ability...and that can ONLY be another black eye for responsible snake keepers.

15. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

AbsoluteApril (09-21-2018),Ax01 (09-20-2018),MissterDog (09-19-2018),Phillydubs (09-19-2018),Tessellate (09-20-2018)

Thanks
    Jnksnakes, I'd imagine that the friends you hang with now will be impressed if you get a "hot"...and I've little doubt that somewhere there is an unscrupulous
    source who will sell you one. But please just ask yourself this: if (when) you get bit & lose a hand, let's say, are these friends still going to think you're cool?
    And will they still be around to help you get thru life with only one hand? And will this help you date the ones you're attracted to? or will it turn them off?
    You don't have to answer here...just think about it, okay?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,028 Times in 904 Posts
    Bogertophis is making great and careful points to really think about. Accidents happen. You never know when things can go wrong and when they do, it can all go south real fast. If you ever get bit you have to think how it will impact your family as well. It will be a very terrifying day when your wife and kids see you being rushed to the hospital.

Just really, really slow down and think about this carefully. Don't be too ambitious too fast.
    Last edited by MissterDog; 09-19-2018 at 04:34 PM.
    1.0 Ball Python (Mystic Potion) Tapioca
    0.1 Northern Pine Snake - Impa
    0.1 Russian Rat Snake (Melanistic) Kallari (RIP)

18. The Following User Says Thank You to MissterDog For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (09-19-2018)

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast