Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,123

2 members and 3,121 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,341 Times in 3,220 Posts
    I'm kind of late to the party but if you really want HOTs based on the unique colors and patterns they have ( i really like eyelash vipers), then go for it. As for finding a mentor, good luck with that for reasons already mentioned. My advice would be to watch and read as much as you can about the species you want. Then make sure you have the caging set up along with all the equipment you need. Also i would order a bite protocol folder from Joe Pittman at the Florida Snakebite Institute and also call your local hospital and see if they have antivenom for said species or you acquire it.

I have just started messing with HOTs and started with a couple Gilas which i have wanted since i was a kid. I researched for over a year before i actually bite the bullet. They are quite different than venomous snakes but still demand respect.

Also check your city/county/state laws to make sure they are legal. Unless you have your own home, I doubt you will find many apartments that will allow you to keep HOTs.

And remember, it only takes one 'oops' moment to possibly stamp your time card off this earth.

I personally will probably never own HOT snakes although I am pretty tempted for a beaded lizard or two lol.

Oh and i forgot, find a vet who will deal with your HOTs when you need to get check ups done on them. Like i said, I took over a year to actually bite the bullet for my Gilas but i made sure my vet as well as a couple other vets in my area could/would see my Gilas for check ups when needed.
    Last edited by Sauzo; 03-01-2019 at 02:59 AM.
    0.1 Rio Bravo Pokigron Suriname BC-Gina
    1.0 Meltzer/Lincoln Peruvian Longtail het anery BCL-Louie

0.1 Biak Green Tree Python-Pat
    ​1.0 OSHY Biak Green Tree Python-Alex
    0.0.1 Super Reduced Reticulated Gila Monster-Dozer
    0.0.1 Utah Banded Gila Monster-Tank
    0.0.1 Super Black Beaded Lizard-Reggie

Thanks
    Thanked 6,341 Times in 3,220 Posts
    Oh and i forgot to add, if it's true you break legs on leopard geckos and abuse animals like that while getting joy, you dont need HOTs or any animals. You need psychiatric help and pray karma doesnt come to bite you in the bum. Cruelty to any living thing be it even a bug is something i frown on big time. If you need to kill something, make it swift. Heck, I've actually broke myself before on taking my animals to the vet when needed which always seems to fall on a time when i am in a pinch for cash lol. My advice is always keep a nest egg for their emergencies or keep a credit card or two set aside for them as reptile vets are expensive as heck. I couldnt imagine making them sit in what i perceived as pain or discomfort so i ate ramen while i made sure they got treatment.
    0.1 Rio Bravo Pokigron Suriname BC-Gina
    1.0 Meltzer/Lincoln Peruvian Longtail het anery BCL-Louie

0.1 Biak Green Tree Python-Pat
    ​1.0 OSHY Biak Green Tree Python-Alex
    0.0.1 Super Reduced Reticulated Gila Monster-Dozer
    0.0.1 Utah Banded Gila Monster-Tank
    0.0.1 Super Black Beaded Lizard-Reggie

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sauzo For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (03-01-2019),jmcrook (03-01-2019),Kira (03-01-2019),MissterDog (03-01-2019)

Thanks

Re: Hot owners in LA\MS

Quote Originally Posted by Sauzo View Post
    Oh and i forgot to add, if it's true you break legs on leopard geckos and abuse animals like that while getting joy, you dont need HOTs or any animals. You need psychiatric help and pray karma doesnt come to bite you in the bum. Cruelty to any living thing be it even a bug is something i frown on big time. If you need to kill something, make it swift. Heck, I've actually broke myself before on taking my animals to the vet when needed which always seems to fall on a time when i am in a pinch for cash lol. My advice is always keep a nest egg for their emergencies or keep a credit card or two set aside for them as reptile vets are expensive as heck. I couldnt imagine making them sit in what i perceived as pain or discomfort so i ate ramen while i made sure they got treatment.
    Are we really bringing this dumb stuff up again? This is why I haven't been on here in months. I caught house gheckos outside and fed them to a mangrove snake. Get over yourselves.

Sent from my LG-LS998 using Tapatalk
    1.1 Ivory Burmese Pythons 0.1 Albino Granite Burmese Python
    1.0 Orange Glow Retic 0.1 White Albino Retic 0.1 Purple Tiger Retic
    1.0 Anaconda Hognose 1.0 Hognose DBL Het Snow
    0.0.1 Red Tail Boa
    1.0 Albino Blitz BP
    0.1 Pastel Het Pied BP
    1.0 Pastel Leopard BP
    0.1 Pastel Vanilla BP
    0.1 Super Phantom BP
    0.1 Spinner Enchi BP
    0.1 Albino Kingsnake

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jnksnakes View Post
    Are we really bringing this dumb stuff up again? This is why I haven't been on here in months. I caught house gheckos outside and fed them to a mangrove snake. Get over yourselves.

I'll go see what psychiatrist will cure me for feeding my snakes. Thanks.

1.1 Ivory Burmese Pythons 0.1 Albino Granite Burmese Python
    1.0 Orange Glow Retic 0.1 White Albino Retic 0.1 Purple Tiger Retic
    1.0 Anaconda Hognose 1.0 Hognose DBL Het Snow
    0.0.1 Red Tail Boa
    1.0 Albino Blitz BP
    0.1 Pastel Het Pied BP
    1.0 Pastel Leopard BP
    0.1 Pastel Vanilla BP
    0.1 Super Phantom BP
    0.1 Spinner Enchi BP
    0.1 Albino Kingsnake

Thanks
    Thanked 2,028 Times in 904 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jnksnakes View Post

The fact that you're still brushing it off as simply feeding your snakes is troubling, despite what numerous members have said to you before, including highly respected and more experienced breeders who have been in the hobby for years. It's not about you feeding geckos to your snake, it's HOW you chose to do so with no accountability or willingness to admit maybe you chose the wrong way to go about things and how that reflects on the hobby. (Not to mention catching random, wild animals with who knows what disease and parasites to feed to your snake is incredibly irresponsible, especially when you had said snake for sale on your Morph Market at the time.)

Why not admit you made a bad move and have made steps to correct yourself instead of defending said "dumb stuff?" Or would you really rather reply to everyone with unprofessional sass?
    1.0 Ball Python (Mystic Potion) Tapioca
    0.1 Northern Pine Snake - Impa
    0.1 Russian Rat Snake (Melanistic) Kallari (RIP)

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MissterDog For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (03-01-2019),Kira (03-01-2019),redshepherd (03-01-2019),Sauzo (03-02-2019)

Thanks
    Just found this and read the whole thing.... wow!!

I cant imagine how people can hurt any animals! I’m not very religious, but I thank my food,and snake food every time for there life. It may sound weird but I do care. And yes I still do even when feeding f/t lol.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Danger noodles For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (03-01-2019)

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345