Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 407

15 members and 392 guests
Most users ever online was 3,642, 05-08-2016 at 09:50 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

minatrea (49)
venefica (19)

» Stats

Members: 63,383
Threads: 237,165
Top Poster: JLC (31,652)
Welcome to our newest member, Zrycc
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,281 Times in 2,978 Posts
    yeah, i'm not gonna be one of his enablers at this point of his early career.
    ^ Look! My new avatar!!

Wicked ones now on IG & FB!6292

Seaside Serpents & Exotics (SSEx) clutch one, two and three.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Ax01 For This Useful Post:

MissterDog (09-21-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,711 Times in 803 Posts
    It's admirable you're giving OP the benefit of the doubt, but the quarantine thread will give you a lot of missing context. If Jnksnakes didn't engage and DEFEND irresponsible practics that are damaging to the hobby's reputation, then the community would feel less cautious and critical.

The community encourages and supports members when it is appropriate. But if a red flag is seen then it will be pointed out. In the end op is free to do what he wants, but the community can still tell him to slow down. 500 hours is still not as long as it sounds.
    1.0 Ball Python (Mystic Potion) Tapioca
    0.1 Russian Rat Snake (Melanistic) Kallari

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MissterDog For This Useful Post:

Ax01 (09-21-2018),Bogertophis (09-21-2018),Kira (09-21-2018),tttaylorrr (09-21-2018)

Thanks

Re: Hot owners in LA\MS

Quote Originally Posted by MissterDog View Post
    It's admirable you're giving OP the benefit of the doubt, but the quarantine thread will give you a lot of missing context. If Jnksnakes didn't engage and DEFEND irresponsible practics that are damaging to the hobby's reputation, then the community would feel less cautious and critical.

The community encourages and supports members when it is appropriate. But if a red flag is seen then it will be pointed out. In the end op is free to do what he wants, but the community can still tell him to slow down. 500 hours is still not as long as it sounds.
    This is fair. Though, at the same time, it's hard to judge a person on a thread you can't see. So there is that point.

I completely understand pointing out red flags, but I do not feel as though that is what's being done here. Instead, it reads as a thread where a lot of people are telling someone not to get a snake they want to get because of other's opinions, which is unfair. I don't see people here tell him to slow down, but to halt completely.

As my final point on the subject, no, 500 hours is not as much as it sounds. But assuming a person has other stuff to do and can only delegate 4 hours a day to this, then that would be around 4 straight months. But LA law still requires that the time period be a full YEAR with no less that 500 hours of actively working with venomous. So it'd be a year either way before OP could even get his gaboon.
    Ball Pythons!
    1.0 Normal - Echo
    1.0 Spider Enchi Ghost - Whiskey
    0.1 Super Pastel Lesser - Tango

Other Snakes!
    0.1 Albino Paradox KSB - Socks
    1.0 Jungle Carpet Python - JPEG
    1.0 California Kingsnake - Salazar

Geckos!
    0.2 Super Hypo Tangerine Leos - Riddle and Valkyrie
    0.0.1 Crested - Panic

Thanks
    I don't think any of us has a "good reason" for keeping snakes. The answer is because we want to. My cousin once asked me why I had two dogs, "why wasn't one enough for you?"...well, because I wanted 2, but my response was "why did you have 3 kids, why wasn't one enough for you?"
    To the OP, I think you should work towards goals, but in a safe and responsible way. The issue here is that I wanted snakes, but the worst that's going to happen is I'm going to take a bite that I can put a band aid on; the worst that will happen if you take a bite is death. Decisions with bigger consequences deserve to be taken more seriously.

7. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to kristan For This Useful Post:

Ax01 (09-21-2018),jmcrook (09-21-2018),Kira (09-21-2018),MissterDog (09-21-2018),pretends2bnormal (09-21-2018),skydnay (09-21-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 18,058 Times in 8,531 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Honestly based on this thread and your post history here and on social medial, I could not imagine anyone wanting YOU near their collection or be associated with you

This hobby needs positive role models which means, educated, respectful, compassionate, and responsible and your posts do not reflect this at all.

9. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Deborah For This Useful Post:

Ax01 (09-26-2018),Bogertophis (09-21-2018),Kira (09-21-2018),MissterDog (09-21-2018),redshepherd (09-21-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,889 Times in 2,484 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kristan View Post
    I don't think any of us has a "good reason" for keeping snakes. The answer is because we want to. My cousin once asked me why I had two dogs, "why wasn't one enough for you?"...well, because I wanted 2, but my response was "why did you have 3 kids, why wasn't one enough for you?"
    To the OP, I think you should work towards goals, but in a safe and responsible way. The issue here is that I wanted snakes, but the worst that's going to happen is I'm going to take a bite that I can put a band aid on; the worst that will happen if you take a bite is death. Decisions with bigger consequences deserve to be taken more seriously.
    I disagree...the most COMMON answer might be "because we want to" but when it comes to venomous snakes, some GOOD reasons include furthering scientific &
    medical research, the preservation of the species, and public education. "Because I want to" have 2 dogs...well, they're SOCIAL animals that enjoy each other's
    company as well as ours, & get more healthful exercise with a buddy; "because I want to" have more kids...at some point disregards the reality of our earth-home
    & the limits of space & natural resources necessary for a GOOD life, not merely an existence. "Because I want to" have more snakes? we all live in a society that
    isn't 100% behind keeping snakes in the first place, so we ALL have to be mindful of how our conduct in this area is going to impact others...many who'd rather
    make laws against us, while most keep snakes responsibly & want to continue doing so. As you said kristan, "Decisions with bigger consequences deserve to be
    taken more seriously." I agree with that & I think that's what the feedback here is all about.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,854 Times in 1,698 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by skydnay View Post
    This is fair. Though, at the same time, it's hard to judge a person on a thread you can't see. So there is that point.

I completely understand pointing out red flags, but I do not feel as though that is what's being done here. Instead, it reads as a thread where a lot of people are telling someone not to get a snake they want to get because of other's opinions, which is unfair. I don't see people here tell him to slow down, but to halt completely.

As my final point on the subject, no, 500 hours is not as much as it sounds. But assuming a person has other stuff to do and can only delegate 4 hours a day to this, then that would be around 4 straight months. But LA law still requires that the time period be a full YEAR with no less that 500 hours of actively working with venomous. So it'd be a year either way before OP could even get his gaboon.
    Skydnay, the OP abuses leopard geckos by breaking their legs and leaving them in a bin to suffer for possibly hours, laughs about it on social media when someone points out that this is animal abuse, and continues to defend his practice of abusing the feeder animals under his care, despite others on the forum pointing out how it is a bad reflection on our community. That's the thread that's in quarantine that you should look at.
    Last edited by redshepherd; 09-21-2018 at 07:56 PM.

https://www.instagram.com/illusnakes/
    0.1 Tanimbar Scrub Python "Pixie", 0.1 Northern Pine Snake "Genesis"
    0.1 Dumeril's Boa "Vigil",
    0.1 2007 Aru Green Tree Python "Gem"
    1.0 Eastern Indigo "Drogon", 1.0 Blood Python "Magma"
    Ball Pythons
    0.1 Sterling "Drizzle", 1.0 Lesser Butter "Yukon", 0.1 Lesser Mojave "Snowdrift"
    past: 0.4 Ball pythons, 1.0 Russian Rat Snake

12. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to redshepherd For This Useful Post:

55fingers (09-29-2018),Bogertophis (09-21-2018),Ditto (09-21-2018),Kira (09-21-2018),MissterDog (09-21-2018),tttaylorrr (09-21-2018)

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234