Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,330

1 members and 3,329 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,533
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Trying not to worry but...

So I'm trying not to worry too much as it is early yet, but Florence is predicted to come too close for comfort. Flooding and wind damage shouldn't be too bad for me because I'm not right on the coast, but I am expecting power outages. Now being summer my apt will probably stay 73-77*F depending on outside temps, but how long can a BP go without higher temps. I tend to keep his ambient at 79-80.

So logically I know it isn't too big of a deal, but I have about 5 days to get something together. (I can't afford a generator and I'm in an apartment with no access to a yard to put one in). I have reptile shipping pads for winter outages stored up. When Irene came through we were out of power for 3 days, I'm guessing that this will likely be very similar.

Also - stay safe those of you that are in NC and SC near the coast! Evac if its called for and possible
    Last edited by Crowfingers; 09-08-2018 at 11:56 PM.
    No cage is too large - nature is the best template - a snoot can't be booped too much

Thanks
    Thanked 9,859 Times in 4,779 Posts
    Since it's not going to be freezing cold, I would find a way to warm water that doesn't require electricity, and put warm water bottles into the enclosure to add heat as needed. Even something as small as a tea-light candle will put out a decent amount of heat. Plus you can also have your morning coffee if you can warm water.

Also bear in mind that it may be quite warm post-hurricane if it drags a bunch of hot, humid air from the southeastern US up the coast behind it. You can prep your refrigerator and freezer for that by lowering the cold settings as far as they'll go, and packing any empty space in each with water bottles so the contents will stay cold longer.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

C.Marie (09-09-2018),Crowfingers (09-09-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,825 Times in 11,844 Posts
    I think your heat packs (as used for shipping reptiles) should hold you over, or if you have a gas powered hot water heater, I used jars of hot water during
    an ice storm power outage to keep my snakes a balmy 82*....but DO be sure you have cloth bags for each of them on hand, and as many ice chests as it
    takes so they aren't too crowded...that will keep in the warmth really well. (My house was about 45* during that ice storm and I was wishing I could have
    fit into one of the ice chests with the snakes...) I'll keep you & everyone who's in the storm's way in my "good thoughts". Sure hope it's not too bad.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Crowfingers (09-09-2018)

Thanks

Re: Trying not to worry but...

Thanks, as I said I'm not too worried, but I like the hot water bottle idea. If the house gets below 74* I'll see what I can do. I was thinking about it, and we have an IV fluid warmer at work, so if I loose power at home but the clinic is still up and running I will have access to unlimited bags of 100*F fluid bags. He is due to eat on Thursday, but I'm going to skip it - I don't want him trying to digest if there is any chance he won't have the heat.
    No cage is too large - nature is the best template - a snoot can't be booped too much

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Crowfingers For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (09-09-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Crowfingers View Post
    He is due to eat on Thursday, but I'm going to skip it - I don't want him trying to digest if there is any chance he won't have the heat.
    That's smart and if it turns out to be nothing then waiting a few days to eat won't hurt him.

Oh if you don't have a wind-up or battery-powered radio you may want to get one. The models on this thing are really weird as apparently there aren't any strong fronts expected to move it along once it does hit land.
    Last edited by bcr229; 09-09-2018 at 09:19 AM.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (09-09-2018),C.Marie (09-09-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,825 Times in 11,844 Posts
    And in addition to flashlights, I really like the LED lanterns available now...hands free, bright light in all directions- very handy. I have several of them.
    Jugs of clean & safe drinking water might be a good idea too.

Very wise to hold off feeding any snakes right now...I'd take a hungry snake over one that's regurging their meal any day.

Let's hope you need NONE of this advice though...

One other thing I have now (& it mostly applies to cold weather power outages, but I'll mention anyway): a portable fan that runs
    on batteries. I have a ventless gas log fplc...if the power is off, the heat all builds up on one place & doesn't circulate well, & some-
    one told me about a battery-operated fan available thru Walmart ("O2COOL")...I bought one & it works great, & also works on a/c.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 09-10-2018 at 04:50 PM.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

C.Marie (09-11-2018)

Thanks
    Two days out and the predictions are still all over the place.

If you're anywhere near the storm's path and in low-lying areas near the coast, please evac. In a fight between you and mother nature, she's going to win every time. It also doesn't matter whether or not she weakens, she's pushing a massive storm surge in front of her.

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (09-11-2018),C.Marie (09-11-2018),Crowfingers (09-11-2018),Tessellate (09-11-2018)

Thanks

Luckily I'm not near the coast - however the advice stands for anyone who is. Please don't be like to people I'm seeing on the weather channel that are going to "ride it out" because nothing happened two years ago with Matthew - nothing this big has hit the coast since Hugo in 1989 - please listen to the state official and leave.

At least realize that if you stay you are not only risking your own lives but those of the EMS workers whose job is to protect you.

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Crowfingers For This Useful Post:

bcr229 (09-11-2018),Bogertophis (09-11-2018),Tessellate (09-11-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,135 Times in 1,197 Posts

Also hand warmers under the tank on the hot side is not a bad idea if longer time without power. Water is important also. Some loose water is loosing power. Stock up on bottle water. You might get thirsty also.

Thanks

I'd be a little worried about flooding, as that would only extend any sort of power outages, plus you being able to get anywhere. They're saying up to two FEET of water is possible over the mountains, and all of that is going to run downhill into the rivers. It could even affect us here along the Ohio River depending on where it goes and how long it lingers. This thing is crazy.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to ladywhipple02 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (09-12-2018)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast