Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,113

1 members and 3,112 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts

Re: Handling New Snakes

Quote Originally Posted by Damselle View Post
    So, also, because he mostly hides in there, the only way to check in him and make sure he was ok was to dig him out and eyeball him.....
    Snakes hide, that's what they do. Especially juveniles like yours. So unless you have reason to believe something is wrong no need to dig him out. Every time you do, you're stressing him out.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (09-11-2018),JRLongton (09-11-2018),Kira (09-11-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,795 Times in 11,828 Posts

hes a BRB. I have another thread asking for feedback in his set up, so I don't want to repeat it all here. Thanks.
    I saw your other thread later...but for clarity & because many people have more than one snake, you should always JUST repeat what KIND of snake you are
    asking about in each thread (& personally, I'd have posted a link to the other thread)...there's an awful lot to read on this forum...not everyone reads every
    thread. Help us so we can help you, ok?

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

C.Marie (09-11-2018),Craiga 01453 (09-11-2018)

Thanks
    And FYI, for a new snake, ESPECIALLY a young one, "eating" is 'job #1'- new snakes can die of stress, refusal to feed & improper cage conditions...
    "taming" and being "a pet" needs to wait.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

C.Marie (09-11-2018),Craiga 01453 (09-11-2018),JRLongton (09-11-2018),MissterDog (09-12-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    I saw your other thread later...but for clarity & because many people have more than one snake, you should always JUST repeat what KIND of snake you are
    asking about in each thread (& personally, I'd have posted a link to the other thread)...there's an awful lot to read on this forum...not everyone reads every
    thread. Help us so we can help you, ok?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    And FYI, for a new snake, ESPECIALLY a young one, "eating" is 'job #1'- new snakes can die of stress, refusal to feed & improper cage conditions...
    "taming" and being "a pet" needs to wait.
    Ok, thanks for checking out my other post. I guess if there's no feedback on my set up than its ok.....

and he's eating... So he's ok

still can't help but worry about him, now that I haven't seen him since I posted this thread and stopped checking on him. I don't know if he's dead or alive in there 😳

Dogs and cats are way easier...lol

Thanks

Ok, thanks for checking out my other post. I guess if there's no feedback on my set up than its ok.....

and he's eating... So he's ok

still can't help but worry about him, now that I haven't seen him since I posted this thread and stopped checking on him. I don't know if he's dead or alive in there 😳

Dogs and cats are way easier...lol
    I have lots of snake experience but none with BRB's...I know they need high humidity but that's about all, so don't jump to any conclusions...they aren't kept by as
    many members on here, and of those who keep them, not all are always around & posting constantly. I guess I'm just suggesting that you read up all you can.

I know how you feel, snakes take some "getting used to"....we'd all love to handle & interact with them right away, but we know better...and in time, this will be
    second nature to you too. They are wild animals, even if captive-bred, meaning they rely on instincts, whereas dogs/cats are wonderful pets but they're domesticated.
    It makes a big difference...our snakes have to "be snakes first"...it's best we don't overwhelm them with all that their instincts haven't prepared them for...once they
    settle in, they'll be stronger & healthier, better able to deal with learning about us & being handled. Just have to be patient...I promise, it's worth it. And yeah, they
    hide...especially when young, because everything can eat THEM when they're so small. If they don't hide, they don't survive to reproduce. Instincts...

P.S. I have 2 dogs too...I love all animals, each for who & what they are.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Damselle (09-12-2018)

Thanks
    By the way, pet stores are seldom the best source of information...they want to make a sale, & if they told you not to handle your new pet for a while, you might
    change your mind...so that's why they seldom give you the whole story, even IF they have the experience & knowledge to do more than just sell. BRB's are really
    gorgeous snakes & yours is no exception. Once you get the housing (heat & humidity) details figured out it won't feel so overwhelming, and once your snake
    settles in, you'll start to see him being more active. You'll get there...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12