Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,874

1 members and 2,873 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,078
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RaginBull
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Thanks

Kova Progression Thread

So
    I recently added a female conda hognose to my little collection (recently as in 12 days ago), and she has been so cool to have! Being completely honest, I did impulse buy her. I mean, I was ready and all I just feel like I wasn't mentally? Idk but she stressed me out the first couple days lol, I would've posted this thread sooner. It's gotten much much better now and she's definitely part of the family now!
    Kova (guess her name reference)'s on a 5-day food schedule and eats pinkys like a champ! ..Well I've only fed her twice, but she ate great both times ) Here's her eating last night: https://youtu.be/iL2etwzWr8s
    I didn't know she was going to strike sideways But she ended up getting it down just fine.
    She's in qt right now, the only times we've interacted with her were when we received her (to check her over and weigh before putting her in her tank), and I also dug her out once (didn't actually pick her up), just because it was a couple days after she arrived and although I knew she was fine, I just had to check and make sure. She's 6 weeks old and 7g, and I'm very happy to have her!
    Last edited by GpBp; 09-10-2018 at 06:01 PM.
    ¹.⁰ ᵖᵃˢᵗᵉˡ ᵇᵃˡˡ ᵖʸᵗʰᵒⁿ ⁻ ᵍᵉⁿᵒ
    ⁰.¹ ᶜᵒⁿᵈᵃ ʰᵒᵍⁿᵒˢᵉ ⁻ ᵏᵒᵛᵃ

¹.⁰ ᵖⁱⁿˢᵗʳⁱᵖᵉ ʰᵃʳˡᵉqᵘⁱⁿ ᶜʳᵉˢᵗᵉᵈ ᵍᵉᶜᵏᵒ ⁻ ᵖᵒᶜᵏᵉᵗ
    ¹.⁰ ᶠˡᵃᵐᵉ ᶜʳᵉˢᵗᵉᵈ ᵍᵉᶜᵏᵒ ⁻ ᵇᵉᵃ

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GpBp For This Useful Post:

C.Marie (09-10-2018),dakski (10-10-2018)

Thanks
    She is precious, pretty big enclosure for such a tiny babe, I be a nervous wreck, glad she is eating well and adjusting to her new home. Thank you so much for sharing and best wishes always..
    Domestic Short Hair - Miss Becky
    Russian Blue - Church
    Miniature Poodle - Pierre LaPoodlePants
    Banana BP - Yuri Katsuki

4. The Following User Says Thank You to C.Marie For This Useful Post:

GpBp (09-10-2018)

Thanks

Re: Kova Progression Thread

Quote Originally Posted by C.Marie View Post
    She is precious, pretty big enclosure for such a tiny babe, I be a nervous wreck, glad she is eating well and adjusting to her new home. Thank you so much for sharing and best wishes always..
    Thanks so much! And ya, I didn't know she'd be that tiny lol! I would've got for a 5gal. But she seems to navigate it well Thanks!
    ⁰.¹ ᶜᵒⁿᵈᵃ ʰᵒᵍⁿᵒˢᵉ ⁻ ᵏᵒᵛᵃ

6. The Following User Says Thank You to GpBp For This Useful Post:

C.Marie (09-11-2018)

BPnet Senior Member CloudtheBoa's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,189 Times in 620 Posts
    Congrats! Hoggies are such wonderful little snakes.
    8.3 Boa imperator ('15 sunglow "Nymeria," '11 normal "Cloud," '16 anery motley "Crona," '10 ghost "Howl," '08 jungle "Dominika," '22 RC pastel hypo jungle "Aleister," '22 pastel normal "Gengar," '22 orangasm hypo "Daemon," '22 poss jungle "Jinzo," '22 poss jungle "Calcifer," '22 motley "Guin")
    1.4 Boa imperator; unnamed '22 hbs
    3.3 Plains garter snakes
    1.2 checkered garter snakes (unnamed)

~RIP~
    2.2 Brazilian rainbow boa ('15 Picasso stripe BRBs "Guin" and "Morzan, and '15 hypo "Homura", '14 normal "Sanji")
    1.0 garter snake ('13 albino checkered "Draco")
    1.0 eastern garter ('13 "Demigod)
    0.0.1 ball python ('06 "Bud")

8. The Following User Says Thank You to CloudtheBoa For This Useful Post:

GpBp (09-10-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CloudtheBoa View Post
    Congrats! Hoggies are such wonderful little snakes.
    Thank you!! They really are <3
    ⁰.¹ ᶜᵒⁿᵈᵃ ʰᵒᵍⁿᵒˢᵉ ⁻ ᵏᵒᵛᵃ

Thanks

Alright! Little update on Kova. First off, I don't know if this is my scales fault, but apparently, she's gained 23g in 35 days! I don't know if that's right, 7g-30g in 5 weeks, I'll reweigh her when I can. What happened was I got her out really quick last night to spot clean and weigh, and when I saw 30g I thought that was normal lol. Guess I just got her weights messed up with my cresties. When I was writing it in her notebook -after I put her back- I was like "Wait..." I'll just reweigh and check when I can next

But here's the thing-
    She's had 6 successful feedings with us, and tonight was supposed to be her 7th. (About an hour ago) I was warming her mouse and searching for her under the aspen (which took forever! I always dig her out gently before I feed if she's not out already, that way she's awake and alert), and when I found her she seemed a little squirmy. Not sure if this has anything to do with it, she's been squirmy some other times. When I offered the mouse she turned away from it. I rubbed it on her side and tried to offer like normal but she just wouldn't have it! Eventually, she started hissing at it! I understood she wasn't happy and very tense, so I just tried for a few more seconds. More hissing and she even did a bluff strike! So I set it on her rock and turned her lights off. About 30 mins later when I put everyone else to bed, I checked just using my phone light and she was hidden and the pinky was still on the rock.
    I feel bad now I really hope I didn't stress her out too much. She's still eating on a 5-day schedule and the last I had her out was last night. I weighed her and let my mom hold her while I spot cleaned her tank. Only 5 minutes.
    Besides all of that she's doing really good here. Super healthy and everything, we were so excited when we finally got to hold her! She's very sweet.
    Any advice would be appreciated, thank you!
    ⁰.¹ ᶜᵒⁿᵈᵃ ʰᵒᵍⁿᵒˢᵉ ⁻ ᵏᵒᵛᵃ

Thanks
    Thanked 1,179 Times in 575 Posts

I'm no hognose expert, but if she has grown that much, I dont think it would be unusual to get a food refusal due to an oncoming shed. Since you didnt mention a shed, I would guess that is likely after than many meals even if your scale was off somehow.

The only things I know of that are pretty regular about eating in shed are corn snakes and king snakes, so if it is an incoming shed then it isnt surprising to get a refusal.

Aside from that, I'll leave any other suggestions to someone who is more familiar with the species.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

12. The Following User Says Thank You to pretends2bnormal For This Useful Post:

GpBp (10-02-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pretends2bnormal View Post
    I'm no hognose expert, but if she has grown that much, I dont think it would be unusual to get a food refusal due to an oncoming shed. Since you didnt mention a shed, I would guess that is likely after than many meals even if your scale was off somehow.

The only things I know of that are pretty regular about eating in shed are corn snakes and king snakes, so if it is an incoming shed then it isnt surprising to get a refusal.

Aside from that, I'll leave any other suggestions to someone who is more familiar with the species.

Thank you! Thatd make sence 🤣 Ill see what others have to say too, but thanks! She hasnt shed yet here. Also, she didn't eat over night. She came out after I threw her mouse away, here she is

Sent from my LG-TP260 using Tapatalk
    ⁰.¹ ᶜᵒⁿᵈᵃ ʰᵒᵍⁿᵒˢᵉ ⁻ ᵏᵒᵛᵃ

Thanks
    Thanked 1,179 Times in 575 Posts

Such a cutie! Hopefully you'll start seeing signs of the shed coming in the next few days, then.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to pretends2bnormal For This Useful Post:

GpBp (10-03-2018)

Thanks

Hmm ok
    Kiva didn't eat this time either, I checked her weight today and its 9g again now? I double checked and she is truly 9g. Do you think the 30g was a misreading or was it legit? I haven't seen any signs of shed. Thanks!

Sent from my LG-TP260 using Tapatalk
    ⁰.¹ ᶜᵒⁿᵈᵃ ʰᵒᵍⁿᵒˢᵉ ⁻ ᵏᵒᵛᵃ

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast