Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,379

1 members and 3,378 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,534
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks

Re: "Look but don't touch" animals?

Three months ago I acquired a 10 mos. old youngster who the breeder warned me was "head shy". The breeder was right, little "Tango" was incredibly nervous. When I walked into the room and turned on the light I'd often hear him slam into the side of the bin in his hurry to ball up and hide his head. I started bringing a flashlight so I could introduce the light more gradually. When I picked him up, he'd remain so tightly coiled I'd have to gently turn him upside down to see his head. I'd handle him at least 2 x a week, although initially it was simply a matter of picking him up holding him for 10 or 15 seconds and immediately putting him down again.
    The change was gradual but I noticed after a couple of weeks he didn't stay coiled QUITE so tightly, then he'd relax and stretch out a bit, but if I moved my hand, or he saw any movement in the room he'd flinch back so hard he usually made ME jump! Gradually I'd be able to hold him and could move a few feet in either direction without him spooking at the movement.
    Today he's soooo much better. He doesn't ball up anymore, but IS a bit tense when I pick him up. He will react if I move too quickly but recovers quickly. He has NEVER made any effort to bite, but nor is he a snake that I would handle very casually.
    He's still very young though, and I'm confidant that he'll continue to improve. He's made great strides in 3 mos., I'm happy that he's no longer terrified every time he sees/hears something that's out of the norm.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to B.P.'s 4me For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (09-16-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,825 Times in 11,844 Posts

Re: "Look but don't touch" animals?

Quote Originally Posted by B.P.'s 4me View Post
    Three months ago I acquired a 10 mos. old youngster who the breeder warned me was "head shy"....He's still very young though, and
    I'm confidant that he'll continue to improve. He's made great strides in 3 mos., I'm happy that he's no longer terrified every time he sees/hears something that's out of the norm.
    Great example. Since he was already 10 mos. old when you got him, who KNOWS what he experienced before he came to you? Maybe he was born this way, but
    maybe...just maybe...someone tried to feed him live prey that scared him, or something was accidentally dropped near him in his cage, or children were allowed to
    "play with him" (ie. & they hassled him) so his instinctive fears were increased instead of minimized. He'll never talk & tell, but that's great you're already seeing some
    improvement...patience usually pays off, that and empathy.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123