Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,023

1 members and 3,022 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Gargoyle Gecko house?

So a friend of mine joined the military and asked me to watch his Gargoyle while he went to boot camp. That's fine. He gave me some pangaea powder and directions. Mix it until like baby food and change the paper towel (he used as substrate) once a week, misting the tank once a day. Easy enough.
    That was seven months ago and he is dodging my calls and texts. He's out of boot camp and posting pics on facebook, so I know he isn't deployed or anything.
    At this point I'm under the assumption that I now have a Gargoyle Gecko. Lexington is in an Exo Terra (I think?) tank 12Lx12Wx18H with front opening doors. I think it was a starter kit of some sort. It has a foam background and a mayan-esque statue thing with fake plants on it. Is this right? He's about six inches from nose to the tip of his tail. I don't know if that's the right setup? Now that I'm pretty sure he's mine, though I hadn't planned on another gecko, I want to give him the best home I can. His terrarium is next to the warm side of my ball python's tank, so Lex's home stays in the high 70s to low 80s, which I read is okay.
    Is this good? Is there some way to improve? Please be nice if this is all wrong, I did not set up or buy any of this and just followed what he told me to do to take care of him.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,587 Times in 531 Posts
    All that seems similar to how my wife keeps all her gargs. If you don't have any yet they really like a piece of cork bark in their tank.
    Silent Hill Reptiles and Rodents
    https://www.silenthillreptiles.com/

1.4 Carpet pythons
    15.21 Corn snakes
    1.1 of SD reticulated pythons, cali kings,black house snakes,trans-pecos,northern pines
    1.2 Japanese rat, 1.3 natrix n. natrix
    6.1 Balls, 1.0 orange Halloween ATB, 1.0 bci

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    As far as temps what if comfortable to you will be for the Garg 70 to 80 are proper temps, do not go over 80's or it will start to stress and eventually die.

Gargs require no heat or light of any kind.

You want to feed him CGD every other day.

At this size the cage is a little small and the Garg would benefit from something bigger 16x16x24 or even 18x18x24
    Deborah Stewart

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

C.Marie (09-10-2018),mischiefneko (09-10-2018)

Thanks

Re: Gargoyle Gecko house?

Quote Originally Posted by 67temp View Post
    All that seems similar to how my wife keeps all her gargs. If you don't have any yet they really like a piece of cork bark in their tank.
    I actually have piece, it used to be in my leopard gecko's tank until she got too big for it. I'll clean it and put it in there for him!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Deborah View Post
    As far as temps what if comfortable to you will be for the Garg 70 to 80 are proper temps, do not go over 80's or it will start to stress and eventually die.

Gargs require no heat or light of any kind.

You want to feed him CGD every other day.

At this size the cage is a little small and the Garg would benefit from something bigger 16x16x24 or even 18x18x24
    Like only offer it every other day? I usually make it and leave it for him for about 48 hours then make more.
    I thought that it was too small! I will look into getting him something a bit bigger. Is paper towel fine or is it better for some sort of substrate? I usually prefer something a bit nicer looking.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mischiefneko View Post
    Like only offer it every other day? I usually make it and leave it for him for about 48 hours then make more.
    I thought that it was too small! I will look into getting him something a bit bigger. Is paper towel fine or is it better for some sort of substrate? I usually prefer something a bit nicer looking.
    If you leave it for 48 hours that would be offering every other day

You offer food on monday leave it on tuesday replace food on wednesday, leave it on thursday replace on friday and so on.

Paper towel is fine and is easy to clean but if you want something more realistic and holding humidity you can look into coco choir, coco chips or even bio substrate.
    Deborah Stewart

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

mischiefneko (09-11-2018)

Thanks
    Which is better: aquarium or screened? I found two terrariums that are 18x18x24, one is like the classic mostly glass with front open doors with a screen top, the other is all like mesh/netting.

Thanks
    Also! I am happy that he isn't a picky eater! I ordered a couple different Pangaea Gecko diet powders in the smallest bags to give them a try, and he'll eat any of them! Though he seems to love the Banana/Papaya one the most. Are there other good brands that won't break the bank? Or what are some good treats to give him? I have superworms for my leopard gecko? I want to spoil the little guy, within reason.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Which is better: aquarium or screened? I found two terrariums that are 18x18x24, one is like the classic mostly glass with front open doors with a screen top, the other is all like mesh/netting.
    You either want glass or a PVC cage and stay away from screen cages because of the draft and the fact that you will not be able to hold humidity,

Also! I am happy that he isn't a picky eater! I ordered a couple different Pangaea Gecko diet powders in the smallest bags to give them a try, and he'll eat any of them! Though he seems to love the Banana/Papaya one the most. Are there other good brands that won't break the bank? Or what are some good treats to give him? I have superworms for my leopard gecko? I want to spoil the little guy, within reason.
    Pangea is the best brand of gecko food, rapashy used to be as well however they have changed their formula a few years ago and geckos will tend not to accept that food as redily, bottom line if pangea work feed pangea.

As far as superworms keep in mind that they tend to bite back and that Gargs are mainly frugivore and not insectivore, should you offer insect I would suggest Dubia in a dish once a week twice at most. Not like he needs it (or will be interested by it), CGD is a complete diet anyway.
    Deborah Stewart

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

mischiefneko (09-16-2018)

Thanks

Post Re: Gargoyle Gecko house?

Sorry for all the questions. I will go ahead and order the glass tank and some bigger bags of the Pangaea's he tends to prefer. It's nice to feel more confident in what I'm buying. Is it better to have the little dish at the bottom of the tank or should I get one of the bowls that suctions to the side? Lex seems to spend more time climbing than on the ground. Maybe some plants for more coverage and decoration? All he currently has is the mayan-esque statue thing that came with the starter kit my friend bought.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast