Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,981

0 members and 2,981 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma

Thread: First Set Up

Thanks

First Set Up

Hello,

so, it's been about a week since I've gotten Louie, my BRB, and wanted to post pics of my set up for some feedback.

i have a heat mat under the tank and a 25watt heat bulb in a dome fixture on top of the tank. I'm going to have a 5.0 UVB bulb on the left as well, but the one I bought was DOA.... I know there's some controversy on this, but I decided to go for it and use the artificial plants for dappling.

i have the water bowl in the cool side and a dry hide in the back on the right side. There's a wet hide on the right front lined with moss that I boiled.

i have a piece of plexiglass over the top to hold in moisture, but seem to need to remove it because the humidity has been reading 99% since adding the wet hide.

i think I used way too much substrate.... I'm having trouble finding him, cause he likes to borrow. I usually find him on the dry cool spot in the front left.

here's the pics:

Thanks
    What are your temp goals?
    What are the temps?

Thanks

Re: First Set Up

Quote Originally Posted by MAC1 View Post
    What are your temp goals?
    What are the temps?
    I'm trying to get the daytime temps up to 85 degrees for the warm side, and 72ish for the cool. with just the heat mat, it wasn't getting there, so, I added the bulb today.

Now that the dome is on the temp is reading 74 on the cool side and its up to 79 on the warm side.

but the humidity is reading 67%... I have the hygrometer probe on the cool side behind the background. I don't want to upset him anymore today but ripping everything up and moving that probe... but that's probably not an accurate reading. It was reading 90=99% when I had the plexiglass over the top on the back of the tank. I'll wait for next week when I clean the tank.

I'm also wondering, about how long after he eats should he be pooping? I haven't seen any poops.

He's been out and about, so I was able to get a pic of him:

Thanks
    Your getting close. Is the pet in the enclosure already?
    How thick is the substrate as in volume.
    it's really difficult to push heat through it.

Did you copy someone else's set up? or is this your own?
    Last edited by MAC1; 09-10-2018 at 12:20 PM.

Thanks
    What is the temp of the room? If your room temp is 75 everything gets easier.
    Glass enclosure don't hold heat in verywell.
    Last edited by MAC1; 09-10-2018 at 12:41 PM.

Thanks

Your getting close. Is the pet in the enclosure already?
    How thick is the substrate as in volume.
    it's really difficult to push heat through it.

Did you copy someone else's set up? or is this your own?
    What is the temp of the room? If your room temp is 75 everything gets easier.
    Glass enclosure don't hold heat in verywell.
    i was doing well with regulating the temps when it was warmer, but now that our ambient temps have dropped to the 70's..it's getting tough.

and the heat bulb I added seems to be drying things out. I had to mist when I came home.

this is my own set up

ive been doing some research and thinking about what changes I can make

for now, ive thinned out the substrate over the RHT and let the substrate over the front left, where he likes to borrow stay thick. But fall is coming, and I have to be forward thinking.

other ideas....

1) adding a second RHT to the back which means adding a second thermostat... Right now, The one thermostat is working overtime, and not getting the basking spot up to 85 degrees. I thought about placing the whole set up on a tray of polystyrene tiles to reflect some of the meat back up to the tank. Then also lining the back with cork to insulate it. I got these ideas from here: http://www.keepingexoticpets.com/warm-up-your-vivarium-in-winter/

2) adding a second dome with more 25 watt heat bulbs... But this would cause more loss of humidity. I could add a foggier to counteract this for now, but when I upgrade to a bigger tank, I want to build an ecosystem... Waterfall, plants, the works.

thoughts?

i would really appreciate it....

Oh, and and yes,

cant cant answer how much substrate as in volume. But I've shifted it so that it is about an inch over the RHT for basking and four inches on the cool dry side

Also, as shown, Louie is enjoying his new enclosure.

Thanks
    Yes with this being your set up you will have to keep tinkering it till you get the temps up.

"From Costa Rica weather go visit Costa Rica"
    Overall, the temperature in January as opposed to July, for example, does not vary greatly. The average annual temperature in Costa Rica is between 70° and 81°

Yes put something over the glass.
    A radiant heat panel doesn't dry everything out like the lights do.
    The thing with substrate at the bottom looks really thick from the picture its difficult to see because the picture is dark. The under tank heater can not up the ambient temps with the substrate.
    The folks that sell that product, tell the customer to put paper down.

How cold will it be in the room over winter?

Thanks

Yes with this being your set up you will have to keep tinkering it till you get the temps up.

"From Costa Rica weather go visit Costa Rica"
    Overall, the temperature in January as opposed to July, for example, does not vary greatly. The average annual temperature in Costa Rica is between 70° and 81°

Yes put something over the glass.
    A radiant heat panel doesn't dry everything out like the lights do.
    The thing with substrate at the bottom looks really thick from the picture its difficult to see because the picture is dark. The under tank heater can not up the ambient temps with the substrate.
    The folks that sell that product, tell the customer to put paper down.

How cold will it be in the room over winter?
    daytime temps in the winter goes down to 67 while I'm at work and I bump it up to 71-72 when I come home, then when I sleep it drops down to 65. On weekends daytime temps stay around 70, unless I go out.