Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,707

0 members and 2,707 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    BPnet Veteran BallPythonWannaBe's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Smaller snakes- Beginner to Intermedate Levels

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    This was posted under "colubrids" or I'd also have suggested an Australian spotted python. They stay small (3-4') and love to climb & bask in branches...I've had mine for about 10 years, never a bite (same for Trans Pecos) but amazing response to food (f/t)! Easy, curious, small constrictor, needs consistently warmer cage than Trans Pecos though (<temps. in the desert where they're from are more variable, esp. at night), and also the spotted pythons NEED a humid hide...they're Aussies but apparently more coastal, not desert. Another excellent pet choice IMO.And in case you're wondering, I don't sell either kind, or any other, nor do I breed any snakes any more. I just enjoy them as pets...as family members.
    I just posted under coulubrids as I figured most of the responses would be for colubrid snakes. I was not sure where else to put it. Any kind of snake you would like to add is welcome.
    "It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live"
    -J.K Rowling Sorcerer's Stone
    Long time no see, back at it again in my white vans.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    I have a Children's Python. Smaller than a Spotted but similar in looks. The head looks amazing with those cat eyes, and I love the scales that are iridescent when sunlight hits them. They are known to be nippy as babies and mine proved it true. Although many recommend CP as beginners, I don't and see them as intermediate because they move FAST: they can be calm for a second, get scared or upset quickly and strike. No hissing, sometimes no S shaping. If she has time to tame one, and likes a challenge, CP are good to go. They eat very well and their husbandry similar to a king. They are not as active as kings but mine has a very peculiar behavior where he would poke his head out of the hide, sees me and comes out to see if I have food. He won't do that with anyone else.

Stimpson python is also related to Spotted and Children with similar looks. They are much smaller than its cousins. But they are not as commonly found and I cannot confirm for their temperament or husbandry.

I have a Cali king and I think they need more space than most recommended. Mine is house in a 48 inch tank and she uses every inch of it. Mine do not musk, hiss or bite, so if your friend wants one, get an adult instead so she gets what she sees. Not all kings are like that, even though they are gluttons.
    Last edited by Cheesenugget; 09-07-2018 at 02:45 PM.

Thanks

As far as I know King snakes don't need too much humidity correct? And for anyone who recommended a dwarf boa what kind of setup would you advise?

Thanks
    Thanked 19,791 Times in 11,826 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BallPythonWannaBe View Post
    I just posted under coulubrids as I figured most of the responses would be for colubrid snakes. I was not sure where else to put it. Any kind of snake you would like to add is welcome.
    Those would be my top two suggestions. I figured since others were including boas/pythons, I'd include the spotted pythons too (I assume some of their "cousins" would
    be similar but only going by those I have personal experience with). While they aren't "unusual", corn snakes are perfect pets...generally nice temperament, not too big,
    enthused feeders on f/t prey (without heating it up etc) and also makes great use of branches (& baskets, lol). And they come in awesome color variations. They do start
    out pretty tiny, fragile & shy...when I've raised them, I can't even FEEL the teeth of a hatchling's bite, their teeth are too small. They quickly outgrow defensive behavior,
    as do my other suggestions. I'm a fan of ALL rat snakes: they get larger but Baird's rat snakes are also usually very docile. And check out the color on Everglades rat
    snakes (bright orange!) but they can be a little more feisty...it's all in what one prefers.

Thanks
    Thanked 19,791 Times in 11,826 Posts

As far as I know King snakes don't need too much humidity correct?
    No, humidity is a non-issue for king snakes...they thrive easily without issues. I've kept Mexican black kings (my fave), California kings, speckled & E. Chain, milks etc.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,897 Times in 2,992 Posts

Smaller snakes- Beginner to Intermedate Levels

Which snakes would be better display snakes? She wants to have a more naturalistic setup.
    Ya want display snakes

These are a few of mine

Hybrid Milk x King
    HC Albino Royal Python
    Amel Stripe Corn snake
    High White Pied Royal python
    Thai Red Bamboo Rat snake
    Cali California King snake
    Lavender Albino striped Cali-King
    MBK ~ Mexican Black King snake

[IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Zincubus; 09-07-2018 at 03:21 PM.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Zincubus For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (09-07-2018),Sonny1318 (09-07-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zincubus View Post
    Ya want display snakes

These are a few of mine

Hybrid Milk x King
    HC Albino Royal Python
    Amel Stripe Corn snake
    High White Pied Royal python
    Thai Red Bamboo Rat snake
    Cali California King snake
    Lavender Albino striped Cali-King
    MBK ~ Mexican Black King snake

[IMG]

I am VERY jealous! Is your Bamboo rat snake handlable? I might need that or a Hybrid Milk x King for myself
    Last edited by BallPythonWannaBe; 09-07-2018 at 03:43 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,897 Times in 2,992 Posts

I am VERY jealous! Is your Bamboo rat snake handlable? I might need that or a Hybrid Milk x King for myself

The Bamboo is psychotic !!
    The hybrids are known as Imperial Pueblans ..

These people seem to breed them for example.
    http://southerncaliforniakingsnakes....m/hybrids.html

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Lets see... something under 6 feet would pretty much be what most have been saying, being dwarf boa's, sand boa's, hognose, king and milk snakes, spotted python, african house snake, trans-pecos rat snake and baird's rat snake....Any of these would be a good choice!

@Bogertophis got me very interested in the Trans-Pecos rat snake to the point where I just had to have one of those extremely cute google eyed noodles. I wanted something different so my hunt began...My boy was hard to find because they are rare to find in Canada, but i found a breeder and will be getting him next week. I am also getting a African house snake tomorrow. The thing with African house snakes is that they are coming out with a few different colors than just your typical brown color. There are black ones, yellow ones and olive ones with an orange stripe. The one I am getting is a reddish brown color, but he is considered a red phase.

AND tomorrow is the BIG 2 day reptile expo here in Toronto and I absolutely must go and see whats out there. I mean there is no harm in just going to look around....right!!!!

Thanks
    Thanked 4,018 Times in 1,743 Posts
    Albino african house snakes!
    Some of the normal ones are a bit dull, but I love the albinos. They make great small, active display snakes.
    Last edited by redshepherd; 09-07-2018 at 08:56 PM.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to redshepherd For This Useful Post:

MissterDog (09-07-2018),Zincubus (09-08-2018)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast